Retro Reads discussion

The Harp in the South
This topic is about The Harp in the South
Buddy reads > The Harp in the South

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 1630 comments Mod
Good Morning!

This is a buddy read. Cphe & I were keen, but anyone else is welcome to join in! I'll be starting my read tomorrow. If we find we need a spoiler thread I'll add that.

Let the read begin!

Cphe wrote: "Morning Carol - I intend to start reading this on Saturday. Have been looking forward to it for ages."

Same here!

message 3: by Peggy (new) - added it

Peggy (dandelion_cottage) | 266 comments I bought the book and will try to join in. It looks really good.

message 4: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Moderator (last edited Oct 04, 2017 04:41PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Peggy wrote: "I bought the book and will try to join in. It looks really good."

Yay! Pink Flannel has turned up at my work - but my hairdresser is from Ms Park's family & gives us big money for each book. I doubt if I'd have a chance to read before handing over.

& I started last night.

This is my actual copy The Harp in the South by Ruth Park an Australian first edition. It would be worth money if it wasn't in such poor condition.

Inside it says it won first prize in the novel section of the Sydney Morning Herald competition - novel section. Ms Park got AU₤2000 - a serious sum of money in 1946.

I must apologise - this book is second in a series, (which I didn't realise)but so far is working fine for me.

I'm only 20% in, but so far there is a lot of meat on this book's bones. So I'm going to create a spoiler thread as well.

message 6: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 154 comments Carol ♔Type, Oh Queen!♕ wrote: "Peggy wrote: "I bought the book and will try to join in. It looks really good."

Yay! Pink Flannel has turned up at my work - but my hairdresser is from Ms Park's family & gives us ..."

You could ask to borrow it - I've still got a supply of 'library book cards' somewhere! :)

message 7: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Moderator (last edited Oct 06, 2017 01:41PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yes true I didn't get a chance to value this book on Wednesday - it was literally the last book I put my hand on. The description on GR sounds right up my alley!

message 8: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 154 comments I agree, it sounds excellent. She wrote a lot you know, but her work is very hard to find. Very few have made it to the kindle edition too.

Lesley~aka Ella's Gran wrote: "I agree, it sounds excellent. She wrote a lot you know, but her work is very hard to find. Very few have made it to the kindle edition too."

We got a lot at one stage - this hoarder collector donated all the books he couldn't sell when he moved overseas. He had a lot of fading into obscurity NZ authors.

& oh my this is powerful stuff - such a rich world RP has created - & I care about the characters.

I did a spot of research & Missus is considered the first part of the series, but wasn't written until 1985. So we are reading in the right order. Phew! :)

message 11: by Cindy (new)

Cindy I just ordered The Harp from a library within my state. Can't wait to begin!

Cindy wrote: "I just ordered The Harp from a library within my state. Can't wait to begin!"

Will be so pleased to have you join us, Cindy!

message 13: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Moderator (last edited Oct 07, 2017 04:21PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cphe wrote: "My edition contains the three in the trilogy by the looks of it.

Missus, The Harp in the South, Poor Man's Orange I think it is.

I'm still reading Missus"

That will be an interesting experience, given that the first part was written so much later.

Cphe wrote: "Aren't you reading the whole trilogy?"

I wasn't - I didn't realise this book was part of a trilogy until I put my own copy on GR (Ruth Park is now fading into obscurity in NZ) Technically Missus falls outside Retro Reads, but I think we can make an exception for it.

I'll put up a thread for you. :)