Play Book Tag discussion

The Double Bind
This topic is about The Double Bind
Archive: Other Books > The Double Bind - Chris Bohjalian - 3*

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elise (ellinou) | 525 comments Laurel Estabrook lived through a traumatic event during her college years. Now, seven years later, she’s working in a homeless shelter. One of the men from the shelter dies, leaving behind a box of photos, some of which are of Laurel’s childhood places, and even a few of her on the road where she nearly got raped and killed. So she dives into the story told by these photographs, searching for the true story of this homeless man.

I felt like this book wanted to fascinate me more than it did. It was literary suspense, and most of the comments on the covers were along the line of “can’t put this down,” “you’ll spend the whole night reading.” But I had no problem putting it down and waiting patiently until I had time to read next. Not that it wasn’t good and intriguing, it was, just not as much as it gave the impression it would be.

The ending also kind of disappointed me. I usually like these kinds of twisty endings, but mainly because there’s often foreshadowing that you may or may not have seen, and if you reread the story, you’ll be amazed at everything you didn’t notice the first time around. But here there was no foreshadowing at all, just the sudden twist at the end that basically deconstructed everything that came before. I think the whole thing could have been explained better.

message 2: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3808 comments This sounds similar in nature to Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore. I just reviewed it, and gave it 5 stars. Maybe you'd like it better than this one.

Elise (ellinou) | 525 comments I read the synopsis and wow yeah it sound very similar! I marked it as to-read, thanks for the suggestion!

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5789 comments I liked it better than you did ... maybe because I listened to the audiobook.