Boone County Public Library discussion

All about You > When do you give up on a book you aren't enjoying?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christa (new)

Christa | 1 comments I give it 2 chapters. I've read books that were a little slow to start but then picked up, and I've read books that just did not grab me at all. But if it doesn't grab me by the second chapter I move on. Sometimes it's the story and sometimes it's the writer's style. But there's no sense in wasting your time with a bad book when there are so many good books out there! Like a friend of mine says, "Life is too short to drink bad coffee" so also life is too short to read bad books!

message 2: by Julie (new)

Julie | 20 comments Boone County Public Library wrote: "As you get older do you begin abandoning books you don't enjoy more often? Or do you always go to the bitter end, no matter what your age?
Here's the Nancy Pearl rule for how many pages you should ..."

I used to always finish a book, even if I did not particularly care for it. Now I will try the first third or so; but if I don't like it, I abandon it. There are too many other things I want to read!

message 3: by Donna (new)

Donna I used to slog through so many books that I didn't like for whatever reason, and I always finished. Unless it was something truly abysmal, I felt a guilt or obligation to go all the way to the bitter end. Finally, a few years ago, I allowed myself the freedom to abandon books that aren't interesting me and finding the next one that I may enjoy more. I don't have a hard and fast rule but I do like Goodreads because of the review comments. Sometimes I will see someone say, "it was slow going for the first chapter, but give it a chance." and It may influence my opinion.