Book Snails Book Group discussion

Social > It's that time of year again: what do you love about FALL?

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

biblio • bliss (bookgirl1987) | 1152 comments Mod
It's that time of year again (thank God). What do you love about FALL? With some inspirational quotes to get you started!

“I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers.”
― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

“Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower.”
― Albert Camus

“It looked like the world was covered in a cobbler crust of brown sugar and cinnamon.”
― Sarah Addison Allen, First Frost

“Fall has always been my favorite season. The time when everything bursts with its last beauty, as if nature had been saving up all year for the grand finale.”
― Lauren DeStefano, Wither

storytimesaddness | 9 comments I like fall because of the weather and school breaks (more time to read).
"Life starts all over again when it gets crisp in the fall."
- F. Scott Fitzgerald

message 3: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey Fall is my favorite season, hands down! I love literally every single thing about it. It's my ultimate aesthetic (as the kids say). Where I live, in upstate New York, it's just so beautiful. All the trees change colors to red and orange, it gets very foggy some days, it's cold but not too cold, and there's so much to do! Hay rides, apple picking, pumpkin picking, etc. Also, the clothes are just so cute!

Halloween is also my favorite holiday, and my family always has a huge costume party every year! I've been Marilyn Monroe, Jekyll and Hyde, a WWII WASP, etc. It's so much fun. We do themed foods, and decorate our house like crazy, and even do costume prizes, for best costume, funniest, and most creative.

My brother and I also love watching paranormal shows, horror movies, and anything else having to do with Halloween, like Halloween Baking Championship :)

My favorite thing about the season though is definitely staying in bed on Sunday, in cozy pajamas and thick socks, drinking coffee, and reading!

message 4: by StarMan, Co-Mod Space Snail (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1825 comments Mod
Fall is great because it has Halloween, the fun night where people show their true faces.   [insert evil laugh]

Fall is also comfortable porch-sitting/reading weather in the southern USA, aside from the native vampires (mosquitoes).

message 5: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Nadine wrote: "I like fall because of the weather and school breaks (more time to read).
"Life starts all over again when it gets crisp in the fall."
- F. Scott Fitzgerald"

Nice quote

message 6: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Kelsey wrote: "Fall is my favorite season, hands down! I love literally every single thing about it. It's my ultimate aesthetic (as the kids say). Where I live, in upstate New York, it's just so beautiful. All th..."

Fall is the best season, I totally agree with you. We love it down South when the heat finally relents and we can walk outside and BREATHE. I'm sure StarMan knows all about the relief that fall brings those of us in the Southern region!

Upstate NY must be lovely. Random thought: even though "You've Got Mail" takes place in the heart of New York City, I'm always thinking about that Tom Hanks line "I love New York in the fall...it makes me want to buy school supplies." <3

YOU JUST DESCRIBED THE MOST AWESOME OCTOBER EVER, Kelsey! Your family festivities sound kick-ass. I love the idea of families doing silly/fun holiday stuff together. It's so important for families to do things together and make time for each other.

Also, your last sentence...HEAVEN. You had me at "pajamas and thick socks" and "drinking coffee." Books on top of all that goodness cements the deal for sure ;-)

message 7: by Lupe, Bibliophile Extraordinaire (new)

Lupe Dominguez (lupedominguez) | 92 comments Mod
Fall to me, is the beginning of college sports (football and basketball) and I LOVE October for all the scary stuff: movies, books, haunted houses and hayrides! I love sweaters and boots and being able to throw a jacket on but not a parka. I live in MI so the colors changing here are REMARKABLE. It's like looking at a picture everyday. Plus, I work at a major university so seeing the colors change on campus is so beautiful!

message 8: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey Allison wrote: "Kelsey wrote: "Fall is my favorite season, hands down! I love literally every single thing about it. It's my ultimate aesthetic (as the kids say). Where I live, in upstate New York, it's just so be..."

I can't imagine living in the South! I HATE the heat, and actually suffer from anhidrosis, so I literally could never live south! The farthest south I've ever been was actually the Bahamas on a cruise, but that was during November, so it wasn't too bad. Still hot, though! I've been to Virginia on vacation twice, once during April, and the other during July. I don't remember it being oppressively hot, but, of course, I was many, many miles from Alabama, or the Florida Georgia line, which, if I remember correctly, StarMan is from (or around there somewhere).

That's so funny that you bring that line up, because to me, that's quintessential fall! I'd still love to go school supplies shopping, and I graduated college two and a half years ago :) But I love driving around during the fall, because there's always a ton of college kids around, cafes open, leaves on the ground..it's so beautiful.

Aww I agree! I'm so lucky that my family loves doing those things. Every single year, all my friends always ask, "when's your Halloween party? What are you being? I don't know what to do. I want to win a prize!" and it's just so fun. My mom decorates our house to the nines for all the big holidays :)

It's the best feeling in the world! Especially when the mornings are cool. Right now, our mornings are in the 40's, so when you wake up, the air is cool in your room, but you're all snuggly and warm under your blankets, and it's heaven for sure!

message 9: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey Lupe wrote: "Fall to me, is the beginning of college sports (football and basketball) and I LOVE October for all the scary stuff: movies, books, haunted houses and hayrides! I love sweaters and boots and being ..."

I agree with everything Lupe! Those are my favorite things about fall too :) Isn't it great working on a college campus also? I love academia, so it fuels my craving for school related things, but it's nice that I don't actively have to write papers and spend my nights researching anymore!

message 10: by Lupe, Bibliophile Extraordinaire (new)

I love being on campus. In the summer, I take my breaks and just walk around. It's so nice!! And we have our own dairy store here too, so I can get ice cream whenever lol. But fall? It's the best.

message 11: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

StarMan wrote: "Fall is great because it has Halloween, the fun night where people show their true faces.   [insert evil laugh]

Fall is also comfortable porch-sitting/reading weather in the southern USA, aside fr..."

LOL

message 12: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Lupe wrote: "Fall to me, is the beginning of college sports (football and basketball) and I LOVE October for all the scary stuff: movies, books, haunted houses and hayrides! I love sweaters and boots and being ..."

Lupe...how did I not realize until now you're from the Mitten State?! I have a MI history (lived there on and off for a few years after graduating high school). I plan to go back up north after college graduation. My fiancé lives in a small town called Lake City.

Where in MI do you live and work? I wonder if I'm familiar with the university where you work; I started my undergraduate education in that state!

I miss the beautifully breathtaking fall colors of MI <3 you are so right, it's like looking at a picture every day. Michigan really takes the cake as far as fall color tours go!

message 13: by Lupe, Bibliophile Extraordinaire (new)

Allison wrote: "Lupe wrote: "Fall to me, is the beginning of college sports (football and basketball) and I LOVE October for all the scary stuff: movies, books, haunted houses and hayrides! I love sweaters and boo..."

Haha! Yep! Good Ol' Michigan! I live in the Lansing area, an city called Okemos. I work at MSU! :) One of my coworkers just took a week off JUST to do a color tour of the state! She said up north (the UP) was beautiful already!

message 14: by Michaela (new)

Michaela Osiecki (rozemaiden87) Fall is lovely - the weather finally cools down and I stop sweltering to death each night. Pumpkin flavored everything finally comes back. Goodreads hosts a lot of spooky book Giveaways. Halloween is a thing - such a fabulous thing. There's good food everywhere....

It's just good. :)

message 15: by Lupe, Bibliophile Extraordinaire (new)

I could do without the rain...lol!!!

message 16: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Michaela wrote: "Fall is lovely - the weather finally cools down and I stop sweltering to death each night. Pumpkin flavored everything finally comes back. Goodreads hosts a lot of spooky book Giveaways. Halloween ..."

You're so right!

message 17: by Karol (new)

Karol Lupe and Allison, I'm a Michigander too! I grew up in the Lansing area, Lupe, in Mason and I graduated from Michigan State University. Allison, there used to be a campground in Lake City right in town, where I think there is a city park now (veteran's park, I believe). My mom and dad took the family camping there many times in the 1970's.

My husband and I now live in Midland, and we have a summer place on Lake Huron up close to Mackinaw City. I lived away from Michigan during my career - 6 years in Phoenix, AZ and then 15 years in Akron, OH. Now that I'm "back home" in Michigan, I just do not want to leave again. Love it here.

message 18: by Candace (new)

Candace (candywilliams) | 417 comments I love Fall. All three days of it. That's about what we get here in the Dallas-Ft. Worth metroplex. We've cooled down to the 80s and lower 90s F. Leaves haven't turned. We don't put clothes away for the "seasons." I recall many a Halloween when jackets weren't needed, and also when we had to give it up early because of sleet. So basically it's Summer, three days of "Fall," Winter, and three days of "Spring."

message 19: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey I can't wait for fall! Upstate New York has been getting little hints of it, but our weather is all over the place right now. It'll be 68 degrees for five days, and then go back up to 90. And then, of course, the early mornings are in the 50s, and the afternoons are 83. I hate it! I just want it to be cold! I want to wear my sweaters and boots and jackets!

However, this week is supposed to be in the low 70s and high 60s, so hopefully, it'll stay there. This past weekend got up to 91, and it's just too hot for this time of year. I don't want to wear shorts anymore. I'm fully ready for jeans and jackets. This year should be better, though, temperature wise. Last Halloween was in the 80s, and I hated it so much. It's the day before November...it's supposed to be cold!

I'm really looking forward to this fall, though. I moved up in my work place, and I no longer have to work Saturdays, so I can't wait to actually do fall activities with my friends and family! I've got a lot planned for the next 6 weeks, including shopping, apple and pumpkin picking, day trips, spending a day in New York City, and seeing a Rangers hockey game (hopefully they win this time, because they got blown out at the last game I went to!)

message 20: by StarMan, Co-Mod Space Snail (new)

Halloween!

Lower power bills.

Less humidity.

Possibly NaNoWriMo

Not so much the leaf raking, though.

Did I mention HALLOWEEN!

message 21: by Candace (new)

Candace (candywilliams) | 417 comments StarMan, can you tell us something about your possible NaNo? Genre, etc.?

message 22: by Angela (new)

Angela Auten | 15 comments I used to do NaNoWriMo, but I will be working on my own. I have a lot of ideas to work on.

I like that I can sit inside with some hot chocolate when I'm not working.

I also love seeing the leaves changing.

That's probably about it.

message 23: by StarMan, Co-Mod Space Snail (last edited Sep 18, 2018 07:19PM) (new)

Candace wrote: "StarMan, can you tell us something about your possible NaNo? Genre, etc.?"

I did NanoWriMi 3 consecutive years (3 related SciFi stories, 50+K words each), but probably won't do it again any time soon. Like Angela, I have too many writing projects already.

I do recommend NaNoWriMo for aspiring writers to see if they have what it takes to get in the habit of writing daily. You have to average at least 1,667 words per day to "win" NaNoWriMo (achieve 50,000 words in 30 days).

Some details on NanoWriMo (aka just 'NaNo'), which is short for NATIONAL NOVEL WRITING MONTH (November):

(view spoiler)

The guy who started NaNoWriMo has a book that tells about it, and gives tips for "winning." For example, it talks about how writers are basically two kinds: Plotters (detailed outlines beforehand) or pantsers (no plan, just wing it by the seat of your pants):

No Plot? No Problem! A Low-Stress, High-Velocity Guide to Writing a Novel in 30 Days by Chris Baty

and an associated 'workbook' which is pretty inside, but i didn't actually use it for NaNo:
The No Plot? No Problem! Novel-Writing Kit by Chris Baty

message 24: by Candace (new)

Candace (candywilliams) | 417 comments I only did NaNo once, a sci-fi, but hit a wall so didn’t win. I agree it’s a fabulous thing. I was asked once something like, but won’t you just have a crappy first draft at the end of the month? Well, yeah, that’s the point. And it’s quite an achievement considering that at the beginning of the month you had nothing. Besides, whoever said “All writing is rewriting,” was correct.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... Karol wrote: "Lupe and Allison, I'm a Michigander too! I grew up in the Lansing area, Lupe, in Mason and I graduated from Michigan State University. Allison, there used to be a campground in Lake City right in t..."

I went to law school in Lansing! Thomas M Cooley Law School!

message 26: by Karol (last edited Sep 26, 2018 03:17AM) (new)

Karol Kelly wrote: "I went to law school in Lansing! Thomas M Cooley Law School! "

Wow! I know quite a few people from there, Kelly. The school has built a great reputation over the years.