Snarking LKH discussion

Amazon Forums

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa | 44 comments So, it happened. The banner above the forum says "The Amazon forums are retiring October 6, 2017. Amazon would like to thank the members of this community for contributing to the discussion forums. As we grow and evolve, we encourage you to explore Goodreads Groups for books and Spark for other ways to engage with your interests."
Right now it isn't even letting me reply to current posts.

message 2: by MaeNena (new)

MaeNena | 34 comments It's still letting me reply but then I didn't see the banner on my main forum page so who knows.

We knew it was only a matter of time but it still sucks.

message 3: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa | 44 comments MaeNena wrote: "It's still letting me reply but then I didn't see the banner on my main forum page so who knows.

We knew it was only a matter of time but it still sucks."

It finally let me reply, but I had to refresh it quite a few times first. For a while I couldn't reply to a post, add a new post to a pre-existing thread, or start a new topics.

Cola: That would be a good guess. They decided to let the forums go, so stopped doing their usual maintenance on them.

message 4: by Myst (new)

Myst | 17 comments How nice of them to give less than a week's notice...and even that notice is buggy as all get out so unless you actually always use the forum/s to see a topic about it, you won't ever see it.

message 5: by Alyssa (last edited Oct 02, 2017 12:31PM) (new)

Alyssa | 44 comments Myst wrote: "How nice of them to give less than a week's notice...and even that notice is buggy as all get out so unless you actually always use the forum/s to see a topic about it, you won't ever see it."
I'm not even seeing the closing notice now, so I don't know if they took it down, or what.

message 6: by Myst (new)

Myst | 17 comments Alyssa wrote: "Myst wrote: "How nice of them to give less than a week's notice...and even that notice is buggy as all get out so unless you actually always use the forum/s to see a topic about it, you won't ever ..."

I haven't seen it yet either. In a different amazon forum group, people are asking CS and there's 10 different replies so they're clueless (not entirely unusual for CS...)

message 7: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa | 44 comments The notice seems to go off and on. I didn't see it earlier today, but it is back again now.

message 8: by Myst (new)

Myst | 17 comments I finally got the error message.

message 9: by C.E. (new)

C.E. Stokes | 11 comments I just got it too, for the first time. Makes me a bit sad, I liked watching the snark.

message 10: by someClone (new)

someClone | 6 comments It's sucks, but it is by far the lesser of the annoying book related things Amazon has killed. I'm very bitter that they killed my ebook reader of choice on iPhone. Stanza.

message 11: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa | 44 comments Hi Cal,
I signed up for your forum. I like that it's format is more like Amazon's forums and that I don't have to unclick "add to my update feed" each time.

message 12: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Abram | 34 comments Its been harder and harder to find the forums on the product pages and got to the point where you needed Google Search to locate the pages, so we knew this was coming, but I thought we'd have more time to look into other options. Yesh.

message 13: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa | 44 comments Especially since Amazon essentially closed to the forums yesterday despite saying they weren't going to "retire" until the 7th.

message 14: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Abram | 34 comments I think that means that they are going away (no longer accessable on the site) on the 6th/7th but we can still access the pages to save any discussions, names, ect before they go down for keeps

message 15: by someClone (new)

someClone | 6 comments Yeh, the unclick is annoying. TRA is an honest god antique these days, a straight up no frills message board.

message 16: by someClone (new)

someClone | 6 comments Approved two more members the other night.

I keep wanting to invite people to take a look, since the Goodreads message feature is so ugly. :)

message 17: by Bitchie (new)

Bitchie (matron) I was one of the new ones. I haven't been time to drop in yet, but i saw I was in tonight.

message 18: by Metagion (new)

Metagion | 3 comments Thanks so much for the add! I need the new site Cal...I miss the witty banter!