Tudor History Lovers discussion

Group Reads > Nominations Open - Group Read for November 2017

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments What book about the Tudors or Tudor England would you like to have as our Group Read in November 2017?

If it's in a series, can it be easily read as a stand-alone? If not, you might want to nominate the first book in the series, or the most recent book in it the group has not read together.

Can't remember what we've already read as a group? (Sometimes I can't, either.) There's a "group-reads" shelf on the group's Bookshelf.

Two nominations to a person, please.

message 2: by Nathen (new)

Nathen Amin House of Beaufort by Nathen Amin
Black Tudors by Miranda Kaufmann

message 3: by Samuel (new)

Samuel | 1 comments Black Tudors by Miranda Kaufmann

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments Seconding is not necessary, so you still have two nominations, Samuel.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments Black Tudors: African Lives in Renaissance England has an expected publication date in the middle of next month - let's hold that one until next time. (Sounds very interesting, though.)

message 6: by Miranda (new)

Miranda Kaufmann | 1 comments Black Tudors is actually being published on 5th October in the UK, - the November date is the US one.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments Got you. OK, that's fine, then.

message 8: by Tara (new)

Tara Lynn | 8 comments Death And The Virgin: Elizabeth, Dudley and the Mysterious Fate of Amy Robsart, by Christopher Skidmore

message 10: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (creativecountry0407gmailcom) | 99 comments I will nominate The Last Boleyn by Karen Harper and The Raven's Widow by Adrienne Dillard .

message 12: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Dunn (wendyjdunn) | 16 comments I will nominate The Raven's Widow The Raven's Widow by Adrienne Dillard and my own novel about the early years of Katherine of Aragon Falling Pomegranate Seeds The Duty of Daughters (Katherine of Aragon #1) by Wendy J. Dunn .

*TUDOR^QUEEN* (on hiatus) (tudorqueen) | 35 comments I nominate Falcon's Rise *** Number 1 Book ***: The Early Years of Anne Boleyn and Anne of Cleves: Henry's Luckiest Wife.

message 14: by Linda (new)

Linda Arroz | 11 comments Natalie wrote: "I will nominate The Last Boleyn by Karen Harper and The Raven's Widow by Adrienne Dillard ."

Natalie wrote: "I will nominate The Last Boleyn by Karen Harper and The Raven's Widow by Adrienne Dillard ."

Natalie wrote: "I will nominate The Last Boleyn by Karen Harper and The Raven's Widow by Adrienne Dillard ."

I read The Other Boleyn, I might enjoy revisiting that book, good call! There was a film named The Other Boleyn Girl, do you know if this based on the book?
you'rehttp://www.imdb.com/title/tt0467200/?...

message 15: by Linda (new)

Linda Arroz | 11 comments *TUDOR^QUEEN* wrote: "I nominate Falcon's Rise *** Number 1 Book ***: The Early Years of Anne Boleyn and Anne of Cleves: Henry's Luckiest Wife."

Hi, are these biographies or histories? After a historical novel (October's choice), it would be nice to take a documentary perspective...I went to Hever Castle! I bought a replica of the famous three pearl necklace she wears in a painting - at the Tower gift shop of course, where she lost her head...

message 16: by Malacima (last edited Oct 03, 2017 06:09AM) (new)

Malacima | 1 comments I nominate George Boleyn: Tudor Poet, Courtier and Diplomat although it's a biography
...like Linda Arroz said 'it would be nice to take a documentary perspective'.....
House of Beaufort: The Bastard Line that Captured the Crown
Personally, I'm already a little bit boring to read all the time about Anne Boleyn... I'm sure there are other historical characters in the time of Tudors. I may have missed some earlier suggestions ... I'm new to this forum ... do not mind me

message 17: by Heather (new)

Heather The raven’s widow by Adrienne Dillard
Richard iii by Desmond seward

*TUDOR^QUEEN* (on hiatus) (tudorqueen) | 35 comments Linda wrote: "*TUDOR^QUEEN* wrote: "I nominate Falcon's Rise *** Number 1 Book ***: The Early Years of Anne Boleyn and Anne of Cleves: Henry's Luckiest Wife."

Hi, are these biographies or histories? After a his..."

Hi, Linda- I picked the two books from ones I have in my bulging Tudor Kindle library that I haven't read yet. I think of all of them as biographies. That's very exciting that you went to Hever Castle, home of the Boleyns. I didn't get to hit that particular place when I went to England, but did visit the Tower of London and Hampton Court.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments Heather wrote: "The raven’s widow by Adrienne Dillard
Richard iii by Desmond seward"

You still have a nomination, Heather, as The Raven's Widow has already been nominated. (Seconds are not necessary.)

*TUDOR^QUEEN* (on hiatus) (tudorqueen) | 35 comments Oh, I'm glad. The historical novels aren't so dry to read. Thanks for the clarification and the links.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments I think I will nominate The White Rose Murders by Paul Doherty, and Elizabeth's London: Everyday Life in Elizabethan London by Liza Picard.

message 23: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1 comments I'd like to read The Raven's Widow for November.
On another note, I was wondering if anyone knew of any good books covering the life of Anne of Brittany? I tried to find a good historical fiction but haven't come across one. Authors out there, this seems like a good opportunity.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments Linda: The Other Boleyn Girl movie is based on the novel The Other Boleyn Girl, by Philippa Gregory.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments The nominations are now closed, and I have opened the poll. You can find it on the bottom of the front page of this group, or here: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1... .

message 26: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads, Mod #4 (last edited Oct 12, 2017 08:58PM) (new)