Books and Jams Readalong discussion

The Kitchen House
This topic is about The Kitchen House
Kitchen House - October > Chapters 1-15

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Krista (booksandjams) | 746 comments Mod
What are your first impressions and thoughts in this first part of the book? Do you prefer one perspective over another? Has anything gripped you? Do you see any themes developing?

Oh my heart. I feel like there is so much tension that's going to snap. I just finished chapter 7 and I feel like things are about to get crazy.

Beth | 6 comments Yes, there is a lot of tension building. We are definitely starting to get a feel for the characters.

Sharon Forbes (sharonaforbes) | 26 comments Oh, yes, there is definitely a strong feeling of tension, you are just sitting on the edge of your seat wondering just what is going to happen. I've read through chapter 10, and, wow, it is definitely keeping me turning the pages, a great book so far!

April (Getting Hygge With It) (goodreadscomapriloverall) | 5 comments Just starting it and omg when our main character asks if she can be his baby too? Broke my heart. I'm LOVING this read!

Amber Eats Books (ambereatsbooks) | 12 comments I have stayed up past my bedtime reading this book. I can’t seem to put it down. My heart keeps breaking over and over again! So many sorrows in such a short time 😕 I know that getting myself to put the book down now and go to sleep is going to be hard!

Alicia (PrettyBrownEyeReader) (prettybrowneyereader) Just finished ch.15! I have read many slave narratives. This is the first one I have read that includes an indentured servant. The pacing of the story keeps me reading and seeing the story unfold from different points of view is quite interesting!

message 8: by Cassie (new) - added it

Cassie | 37 comments No! No! No!

There is so much evil in this book.

I dont prefer either narrative over the other' they are both gripping. I have had to step away several times to regroup. I would love to hear some of the story from Mama Mae's or Papa's perspective. What pressure they must feel to protect all these people they care for.

Marshall - I'm sensing some foreshadowing about the man he'll become and I have to wonder what will happen and what impact his childhood and the unspeakable events that have happened to him will play.

Thank goodness Miss Martha is strong when needed. If Cap'n doesn't stay home after this latest absence, (insert groan of frustration)

I am with you, Cassie, I am captured by this story, but have to keep putting it down. It is so heartbreaking over and over.

I want Martha to learn about Belle's true identity! I'm not sure it would change much, but still. This Cap'n is making me crazy. There are moments when he tries to be a good man in this time filled with awful treatment of humanity, and yet still he misses the mark with his own flesh and blood. Gah! So frustrating!

message 10: by Beth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beth | 6 comments Every chapter it seems like a new heartbreaking event happens! There is definitely some foreshadowing with Marshall happening.

message 11: by Scarlett (new) - added it

Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance | 12 comments I am very torn about this book, and I think I may not finish it. I am not sure what about it is.....maybe it's too heartbreaking, or the innocence of the children that is getting to me.... I have read other books with this theme, and I am longing to hear a good outcome. It just is so hopeless and sad. It may not be for me. I have to think on it.

Scarlett wrote: "I am very torn about this book, and I think I may not finish it. I am not sure what about it is.....maybe it's too heartbreaking, or the innocence of the children that is getting to me.... I have r..."

I hear you. Books like this are hard. Even though they're fiction stories like this happened to real people. It's so unbelievable and horrifying about that. I completely understand if you don't continue with this one.

message 13: by Scarlett (new) - added it

Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance | 12 comments Krista wrote: "Scarlett wrote: "I am very torn about this book, and I think I may not finish it. I am not sure what about it is.....maybe it's too heartbreaking, or the innocence of the children that is getting t..."
Well, I have thought about it and thought about it, because I do like to read about historical events. Even the difficult ones. I think it is the dialogue. It is heavy in dialogue...and they are so innocently conversing and such sweet people. It isn't talking about them but it is them speaking, their voices, their thoughts ect. That makes it harder if that makes sense.

Diane | 22 comments I am struggling with this book, too. I love the writing, but I am finding it difficult to stomach the way people are treated in this book. I do know these type of situations really happened during this time period (and probably throughout history) so I don't want to give up just because it is difficult for me to read as a white person in 21st century America. I read Kindred earlier this year, which contains similar situations, and loved it. Something about this book is hitting me harder, though.

I am feeling especially upset about Marshall's storyline. Him becoming friends with the overseer and saying cruel things about the slaves when they have done so much to help him is making me very angry.

Wendy (wmaresca) Diane and Cassie I agree with both of you it is very difficult for me to read. My heart breaks for all of the children. The foreshadowing of Marshall is definitely there and kills me. I don't want him to turn into a hateful person. It is hard to believe he would trust the overseer and the teacher, especially after the way the teacher was with him.
I feel for Belle and Ben also, Poor Ben the struggles he is going through and Belle not really being acknowledge kills me. I am glad that Lavinia is able to help Mrs. Martha with her pain.
I know there is going to be so much more heartache but I hope that that damn overseer gets his just do.

Wendy wrote: "Diane and Cassie I agree with both of you it is very difficult for me to read. My heart breaks for all of the children. The foreshadowing of Marshall is definitely there and kills me. I don't want ..."

Rankin and the teacher are the absolute WORST! I

Wendy (wmaresca) Krista wrote: "Wendy wrote: "Diane and Cassie I agree with both of you it is very difficult for me to read. My heart breaks for all of the children. The foreshadowing of Marshall is definitely there and kills me...."

Horrible disgusting men.