Mental Health Bookclub discussion

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
This topic is about One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
2017 Group Reads - Mental Health > October - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) Our October Mental Health Read is One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey and Tiffany has kindly sent some discussion prompts:

1. In what way is Kensey's novel representative of the 1960s? (If you are too young to have experienced the '60s, you might want to do a little research into the era.) The book, issued in 1962, is over 50 years old. Are the thematic concerns of Cuckoo's Nest still relevant today, do they speak to the 21st century...or are they outdated?

2. Cuckoo's Nest centers around a classic plot device—the introduction of disorder into an ordered environment. How does Randell McMurphy destabilize the psychiatric ward? First, discuss how "order" is maintained...who enforces it...and what form "order" takes. Then talk about what happens when McMurphy enters the story.

3. Was Chief Bromden mentally insane when he was committed to the hospital 10 years ago? How does he appear when we first meet him? What is the cause of his hallucinatory fog—his medications or his paranoia or...?

4. Trace the change in Bromden that occurs over the course of the novel. What does he come to understand about himself? Why he has he presented himself as "deaf and dumb"? Why does he believe he has lost his once prodigious strength? What effect does McMurphy have on him?

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) Griffin (alwaysdaddyprincess) (alwaydaddygirl) | 541 comments Mod
Aloha All,

How is this book going?

Blessings,
Tiffany

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) Griffin (alwaysdaddyprincess) (alwaydaddygirl) | 541 comments Mod
Aloha All, I hope everyone is well. Sorry. My social skills still need a tune up. Let me introduce myself.
I am introvert. I had mental illness since I was teenanger. Went undiagnosed all the way to my thirties. Last month, I turned 40. Dancing with the Grim Reaper so much in my past, we became best friends and I am friend of the family. I am blessed to be here each day, even when it is stormy. Sorry. This is still hard to talk about it. Life could be worst.

I have read this book many times. I will admit I do not admit to it. The new me learn better.

How do you feel about Nurse Ratchet? I feel she is the is the perfect example of the typical folks that stereotypes us.

Blessings,
Tiffany
(Aka RM and Tiffany April Griffin)

Whoops. I also have learning disabilites, lisp, etc. Many have it worst. Proofreading is very hard for me. Mahalo with your patience with me!

Aloha,

I hope everyone is well. I do not mean to come off as pushy. Have you had a change to finish the novel, please? I understand it still early. I just have some questions.

Blessings,
Tiffany April

Aloha,

We are almost to the end. 😔My apologizes I did not make this exciting. Are there any questions or comments you have, please?

Blessings,
Tiffany April

message 7: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) Hey lovely,

So sorry I haven’t had a chance to read the book! This month has run away with me. Please don’t feel discouraged about not making it exciting - it’s generally quite a quiet group so they don’t always jump in on group reads but thank you so much for volunteering and please don’t take the lack of uptake as any reflection on you!

Martha wrote: "Hey lovely,

So sorry I haven’t had a chance to read the book! This month has run away with me. Please don’t feel discouraged about not making it exciting - it’s generally quite a quiet group so th..."

No need to apologized. One of my bad faults is I worry too much. Hope all is well. Blessings🤗💐
P.s. Mahalo for kind note!

message 9: by Di (new) - rated it 3 stars

Di | 331 comments Mod
This book has quite in-depth analysis on shmoop:
https://www.shmoop.com/one-flew-over-...
On the left there is menu and you can see a summary, character overview and much more.

I personally agree with most things that shmoop has said about this book, but i for instance completely missed the first suicide in the book. I just thought it was an accident.

message 10: by RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (last edited Nov 21, 2017 06:15PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Di wrote: "This book has quite in-depth analysis on shmoop:
https://www.shmoop.com/one-flew-over-...
On the left there is menu and you can see a summary, character overview and much more.

I persona..."

Aloha,

I done that countless times in other books. If I may ask, what cause you to miss it? If it personal, please disregard my question. My apologizes.

Mahalo,
Alwaysdaddygirl

message 11: by Di (new) - rated it 3 stars

Di | 331 comments Mod
The second suicide was pretty obvious, but the first "swimming accident".
I guess I thought he accidentally got stuck in the drain of the bottom of the pool. Like he jumped and got stuck like a little kid. now that I reread that specific paragraph for the third time did I notice the word - clutched.

Di wrote: "The second suicide was pretty obvious, but the first "swimming accident".
I guess I thought he accidentally got stuck in the drain of the
bottom of the pool. Like he jumped and got stuck like a lit..."

Ah okay. Yeah, I done that before. Be well.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ken Kesey (other topics)