Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Policies & Practices > Report chronic abuse of rules by a fellow librarian

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by piznajko (last edited Oct 01, 2017 06:45PM) (new)

piznajko (shevchenkofan) | 18 comments Hi. A fellow librarian-user keeps violating the goodreads rules for writing author's name. Specifically, he or she keeps violating librarian's manual rule about naming of authors, whose books have been translated into English ( https://www.goodreads.com/librarian_m... ) :

"Authors with books published in multiple languages should have their names dealt with similarly to those with pen names. All editions should have the primary author name as the standard or most common Roman (that is, English-language) version of the author's name."

One example (out of many) of such destructive edits, is constant renaming of Ivan Bahrianyi from the English spelling of his name to Ukrainian for the main article for this author (see edits for this author here: https://www.goodreads.com/author/edit... ). However, Bahrianyi had had his works translated into multiple languages, English among them. For example his book Tyhrolovy has been translated into English:

* Ivan Bahriany. The Hunters and the Hunted. Translated from the Ukrainian: George S. N. Luckyj. London: Macmillan; New York: St. Martin's Press. 1956. 244 p.

I have had direct message exchanges with this librarian almost a year ago regarding this issue but to no avail - he aggressively defended his edits, even though they were clearly in violation of GR rules. He continues to violate this rule (keeps reverting author's main page name spelling from English to Ukrainian even though the rules clearly state that if the author had had works translated into English - his main name should be in English on GR.

I want to point out that other than the violation of this rule, this librarian is a productive librarian who's done good work documenting edtions of Ukrainian authors on Goodreads. But he needs to realize that violating this fundamental naming rule is NOT okay.

Please help.

message 2: by Miriam (new)

Miriam | 1399 comments First: You should remove any identifying information on the librarian from your post. Group rules state not linking to specific user accounts.

Second: You can flag any edits they have made against policy or you should email support and let the staff handle this issue

message 3: by piznajko (last edited Oct 01, 2017 06:44PM) (new)

piznajko (shevchenkofan) | 18 comments @Miriam. Done, updated my post to remove any direct link to the librarian in question.

Now regarding my complain, are there any "super librarians" who have more rights than regular GR librarians like me who could do something about this? (e.g., message him explaining that violating this GR rule is NOT okay).

ps. I've already flagged his latest edit. However, what will happen if he is not invormed that it's not okay to violate this rule by some higher librarian than me, he will just keep reverting this edit again and again, just how he did it in the past.

pps. How do I email staff to get help with this issue?

message 4: by Miriam (new)

Miriam | 1399 comments Romàn wrote: "@Miriam. Done, updated my post to remove any direct link to the librarian in question.

Now regarding my complain, are there any "super librarians" who have more rights than regular GR librarians l..."

Super-librarians are volunteers, just with a few extra edit rights.

You can email: support (at) goodreads (dot) com
Enforcing the rules with librarians is really the place of staff, not other volunteers.

☕ Lachgas ♿  (lachgas) | 6170 comments or you can use the contact form here https://www.goodreads.com/about/conta... (you do find it by clicking on the "help" link at the bottom of each page)
And: flag all his edits against policy (not just one) I assume it's helpful to show that's a habit.

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41704 comments Mod
As has been mentioned, this group is NOT the place to report issues with other librarians. Please use the flag option, or you may wish to use the Contact Us link on the Help page. Closing thread.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.