Paging All Bookworms! discussion

Chit Chat > Question of the Day - October 2017

Comments Showing 1-50 of 78 (78 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Leah (new)

Leah K (uberbutter) | 739 comments Mod
October 1, Sunday: What was your favorite toy as a child?

message 2: by ilikeboox (new)

ilikeboox | 242 comments Oh where to start! When I was very little, there was Bo Bo my stuffed and very loved dog. Then I loved Crayola crayons (I still do). Barbie dolls...gosh I know I'm forgetting lots...Oh and of course "The Golden Book of Poetry"The Big Golden Book of Poetry The Big Golden Book of Poetry by Jane Werner Watson for the wonderful illustrations!

message 3: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2268 comments Mod
Not counting books ... My favorite was probably jigsaw puzzles and board games - especially Parcheesi.

My brother and I had two jigsaw puzzles with scenes from the revolutionary war era. One was Washington crossing the Delaware, and the other was a spring-time scene (I just remember the flowering trees). Anyway ... they were by the same company and had the exact same cut. So we would have "races" to see who could put their puzzle together fastest. We'd switch scenes, even mixed ALL the pieces to both puzzles together. When that stopped being "challenging" enough, we put them upside down and solved them just by shape! We definitely got our parents' money's worth out of those two puzzles!

message 4: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 621 comments Leah wrote: "October 1, Sunday: What was your favorite toy as a child?"
I had this big doll that was almost as tall as I was and when you held onto its arms it would walk (sort of). Also I had a million paper dolls that I cut out of magazines. Oh, and Creepy Crawlers. We made a million of those.

message 5: by Leah (new)

October 3, Tuesday: With all the tragedy happening around us - tell us something good that happened to you lately!

message 6: by ilikeboox (new)

ilikeboox | 242 comments We're on vacation and I'm over my head cold!

message 7: by Leah (new)

October 5, Thursday: Do you exercise? If so, what kind of exercise do you prefer?

message 8: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 621 comments Leah wrote: "October 5, Thursday: Do you exercise? If so, what kind of exercise do you prefer?"

Not much exercising lately, but when I get a chance I walk or ride bike if it is nice.

message 9: by ilikeboox (new)

ilikeboox | 242 comments Walking while I read. Or bicycle riding on flat terrain.

message 10: by Book Concierge (new)

Leah wrote: "October 3, Tuesday: With all the tragedy happening around us - tell us something good that happened to you lately!"

I was driving home and an indicator light came on my dashboard. Went to the dealership first thing next morning ... "just" a nail in a tire ... easily fixed and I was on my way within the hour.

message 11: by Book Concierge (new)

Friday Oct 6 ... When's the last time you treated yourself to ice cream?

message 12: by ilikeboox (new)

ilikeboox | 242 comments last night...

message 13: by Leah (new)

Book Concierge wrote: "Friday Oct 6 ... When's the last time you treated yourself to ice cream?"

Well I had a root beer float today with lunch :-D

message 14: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 779 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Friday Oct 6 ... When's the last time you treated yourself to ice cream?"

It's been a month or two. I usually buy a small container of my favorite flavor and don't let anyone else in the house eat it.

message 15: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 621 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Friday Oct 6 ... When's the last time you treated yourself to ice cream?"

Excluding at home would be a month ago at our local county fair. They have Nitro ice cream and it is amazing.

message 16: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 621 comments Leah wrote: "October 3, Tuesday: With all the tragedy happening around us - tell us something good that happened to you lately!"

Working as a para at our school, yesterday I worked with a first grade boy who just didn't want to do the work. His dad was a friend of my son's in school so I told him the people I knew in his family. by the end of the hour I had him doing the work and when we walked in the hallway he wanted to hold my hand. Very heartwarming.

message 17: by Book Concierge (new)

Koren wrote: "Leah wrote: "October 3, Tuesday: With all the tragedy happening around us - tell us something good that happened to you lately!"

Working as a para at our school, yesterday I worked with a first gr..."

And you BOTH deserved an ice cream treat afterwards!

message 18: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge wrote: "Friday Oct 6 ... When's the last time you treated yourself to ice cream?"

I keep ice cream (or sherbert or frozen yogurt) in the freezer at home. It's supposed to be MY treat ... but sometimes we get "a mouse in the refrigerator" who eats my treats when I'm not around ... at least my husband claims it's a mouse ... LOL

Last time I actually had ice cream was about a week ago ... when I stopped at Baskin Robbins while out and about running errands.

message 19: by Book Concierge (new)

Monday Oct 9 ... How do you like your eggs?

message 20: by Leah (new)

Book Concierge wrote: "Monday Oct 9 ... How do you like your eggs?"

Sunny side up with toast!

message 21: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 779 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Monday Oct 9 ... How do you like your eggs?"

Over easy with sausage!

message 22: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 621 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Monday Oct 9 ... How do you like your eggs?"

Over easy.

message 23: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge wrote: "Monday Oct 9 ... How do you like your eggs?"

LOVE sunny-side up (though I rarely cook them that way for myself).
Most of the time I make scrambled eggs w/ diced ham and onion; or I hard-cook them.

message 24: by Book Concierge (new)

Thursday, Oct 12 - Have you ever been in a disaster situation? (fire, flood, hurricane, etc) How did you react?

message 25: by Leah (new)

Book Concierge wrote: "Thursday, Oct 12 - Have you ever been in a disaster situation? (fire, flood, hurricane, etc) How did you react?"

Waldo Canyon Fire https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waldo_C...)
Came through my city/neighborhood 5 years ago. It was on the other side of the canyon when it jumped due to a "flaming deer" and came over the mountain side at incredible side. We had barely any notice. The cops pretty much came through the neighborhoods with a speaker telling people to get out NOW. We had time to pack a couple things and our cats and get out, similarly my parents had their dog and that's it. Traffic was horrid and smoke was so thick, nothing could be seen. We all met at my grandma's house (which was up on the market) and decided really quick what to do, my grandma's place was only a few miles away so we weren't sure it was safe. We eventually all met at my aunt's about 25 miles east and stayed at her place. We were evacuated for 10 days with no idea if we'd have homes to go back to. We were all very lucky - it spared my parent's house and the fire stopped right across the street from my husband's and my place. The worst thing was the smell (everything smelled like a camp fire - my poor books lol) and the electricity had gone out so everything in the fridge/freezer was a lost cause. It was a very terrifying situation. 350 other homes and 2 people were not as lucky as us. The dust and char from the fire was too much for my husband's very bad asthma. We moved shortly afterwards.

message 26: by Leah (new)

October 13, Friday: What surgeries have you had in your life?

message 27: by Book Concierge (new)

Leah wrote: "October 13, Friday: What surgeries have you had in your life?"

Tonsils at age 10 / ganglion cyst from left wrist, age 18 / ganglion cyst from right wrist, age 22 / D&C for polyp removal, 4 years ago

message 28: by Book Concierge (new)

Leah wrote: "Book Concierge wrote: "Thursday, Oct 12 - Have you ever been in a disaster situation? (fire, flood, hurricane, etc) How did you react?"

Waldo Canyon Fire https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waldo_C......"

How frightening!

message 29: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 779 comments Leah wrote: "October 13, Friday: What surgeries have you had in your life?"

I had both of my knees operated on in high school. I'm looking at having to have foot surgery within the next year or 2.

message 30: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 621 comments Leah wrote: "October 13, Friday: What surgeries have you had in your life?"

Believe it or not, I'm 61 and have never had a surgery, unless you count minor office procedures twice for cyst removal. (Knock on wood).

message 31: by Leah (new)

Leah wrote: "October 13, Friday: What surgeries have you had in your life?"

I've had a c-section and a gallbladder removal -within a week of one another in 2014!

message 32: by Leah (new)

October 16, Monday: Where do you tend to get your news? (tv, online, paper, etc)

message 33: by Marisela (new)

Marisela (mariselaa) I usually get my news online through social media

message 34: by ilikeboox (new)

ilikeboox | 242 comments My friends! A little online. So really, I don't know much of what's going on.

message 35: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 621 comments ilikeboox wrote: "My friends! A little online. So really, I don't know much of what's going on."

CNN, MSNBC, NBC, and sometimes Facebook, although I usually have to google to verify it is correct.

message 36: by Melissa (last edited Oct 16, 2017 04:43PM) (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 779 comments Leah wrote: "October 16, Monday: Where do you tend to get your news? (tv, online, paper, etc)"

I get news updates very the local news app on my phone.

message 37: by Book Concierge (new)

Leah wrote: "October 16, Monday: Where do you tend to get your news? (tv, online, paper, etc)"

CNN, NBC, MSNBC, CBS, local newspaper, and New York Times

message 38: by Leah (new)

October 17, Tuesday: Do you have any celebrity crushes?

message 39: by ilikeboox (new)

ilikeboox | 242 comments Not now...

message 40: by Leah (new)

October 18, Wednesday: With Halloween on its way, what is your favorite horror book?

message 41: by Book Concierge (new)

Leah wrote: "October 17, Tuesday: Do you have any celebrity crushes?"

Not really ... Loved Gregory Peck in his prime, but no one has replaced him in my heart ... yet.

message 42: by Book Concierge (new)

Leah wrote: "October 18, Wednesday: With Halloween on its way, what is your favorite horror book?"

I'm not a great fan of the genre but these scared the bejesus out of me:
Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury
'Salem's Lot by Stephen King
The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty

message 43: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 779 comments Leah wrote: "October 18, Wednesday: With Halloween on its way, what is your favorite horror book?"

Anything by Stephen King, Joe Hill or Dean Koontz

message 44: by Leah (new)

October 19, Thursday: Is there such a thing as perfect?

message 45: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 779 comments Leah wrote: "October 19, Thursday: Is there such a thing as perfect?"

No

message 46: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 621 comments Leah wrote: "October 17, Tuesday: Do you have any celebrity crushes?"

George Clooney, Richard Gere.

message 47: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 621 comments Leah wrote: "October 19, Thursday: Is there such a thing as perfect?"

In people? No. In nature...just look around.

message 48: by ilikeboox (new)

ilikeboox | 242 comments Perfect is subjective.

message 49: by Book Concierge (new)

Koren wrote: "Leah wrote: "October 17, Tuesday: Do you have any celebrity crushes?"

George Clooney, Richard Gere."

HA HA HA ... I thought you were answering the "is there such a thing as perfect?"

message 50: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 621 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Koren wrote: "Leah wrote: "October 17, Tuesday: Do you have any celebrity crushes?"

George Clooney, Richard Gere."

HA HA HA ... I thought you were answering the "is there such a thing as perfect?""

Never thought of it, but it would work for both questions.

« previous 1