Kindle British Mystery Book Club discussion

The Devil's Work
This topic is about The Devil's Work
Book Club Selection > Spoiler Discussion (Oct 2017) Value Read - The Devil's Work, by Mark Edwards

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

David Gooch | 3992 comments Mod
******* THIS THREAD MAY GIVE INFORMATION AWAY IF YOU HAVEN'T READ OR FINISHED THE BOOK ******

This is a spoiler thread for the October Value Book Read, The Devil's Work, by Mark Edwards
Post in here if you wish to comment on the book and discuss details that may spoil or give away important or pertinent details for those who haven't read or finished the book yet.

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* (sandyj21) I read this last month. Great book and look forward to discussing it with everyone.

Beth Stewart | 583 comments I didn't enjoy this book. I thought the main character was too much of a whip. She should have stayed home instead of constantly worrying about the kids at home with dad. The red herring was just too obvious and I discounted her right from the start. And the surprise emergence of the wicked school friend at the publishers home was just too unbelievable And funny that no one connected all the calamities happening to staff of one publishing company ....

message 4: by Clare (last edited Oct 15, 2017 04:00PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Clare  (clarebears) | 62 comments Hi Beth, I enjoyed this book. I guessed that the girl that bullied Sophie at uni was somehow involved. But I thought that Cassie may have been related to the girl and she was paying Sophie back. When Cassie was pushed down the stairs at the Zombie game I was shocked, i was not expecting that. The last scene was Franklin at home under house arrest, pouring a glass of whiskey as he approached his balcony. I took that to mean he was about to commit suicide what do others think?

message 5: by David (last edited Oct 15, 2017 12:44PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Too many things not right for me.

First off there is no way Jackdaw books would not know from Sophie's CV that she was at uni with Jasmine and not take three quarters of the book for the penny to drop.
Next Simon sent the tweet supposedly by Guy. Now come on if the camera was pointed to see the keyboard and tell the keys pushed then it wouldn't be able to see much else to be sure you saw the key pushes. It couldn't have been facing screen as it show asterisks when you enter passwords.
Sophie grabbed the shotgun barrel after Simon had been shot...I think not it would be hot from the shot that you'd burn your hands. Also when Sophie arrived at the house in Canvey Island it was unlocked so she could just walk in, seriously! A man with all that money and no cameras, security at his home??

The book reads ok but I thought Sophie was a complete worrier and so came across as annoying in the extreme. Not likable for me at all. In the end 3 stars and pushing it for that really.

Beth Stewart | 583 comments Fully agree with you. and why would someone who hasn't worked for a few years in the industry be hired into a senior team=member job, ahead of people who have been in the company and part of that team for who knows how long. I also gave it a 3 but that was a push. I just had troubles with all the improbables and an unlikable main character.

Beth Stewart | 583 comments Clare -- the issues with Cassie were so blatant that I knew right away she was a very poorly presented red herring. I wasn't surprised when she got bopped off. Think it was the author's feeble Effort to create mystery

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* (sandyj21) Clare wrote: "Hi Beth, I enjoyed this book. I guessed that the girl that bullied Sophie at uni was somehow involved. But I thought that Cassie may have been related to the girl and she was paying Sophie back. Wh..."

Looks like there was only you and I enjoyed this Clare....yes, there were some improbabilities but I was able to suspend them and just enjoy the ride, which I very unusual for me.

Clare  (clarebears) | 62 comments I agree, sometimes there just wouldn't be a story if characters acted sensibly.

message 10: by Beth (new) - rated it 3 stars

Beth Stewart | 583 comments Clare and Sandy: that's what makes books so interesting! What appeals to one may not
Do so to another! If we all liked the same
things wouldn't be half as many books printed!

message 11: by Beth (new) - rated it 3 stars

Beth Stewart | 583 comments AND, since this was my nomination I am glad some people enjoyed it! Otherwise I would feel badly that I suggested a totally horrible
Book to the group!

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* (sandyj21) Beth wrote: "Clare and Sandy: that's what makes books so interesting! What appeals to one may not
Do so to another! If we all liked the same
things wouldn't be half as many books printed!"

Exactly! And never feel bad for suggesting a book, it has gotten us all talking! Can I suggest that those of us who have written a review post our links here. I am interested to see what you have all said about it. 😉 https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Ok then I have done a review it is at https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 14: by Tina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tina Culbertson (tinaculbertson) I thought there was good suspense and would try another of Edwards' books in the future. I found Sophie rather annoying at times, felt sympathy for Jasmine and Simon was completely exasperating. Beth, I thought this was a good choice and it certainly introduced me to a new author. I placed my reveiw on my book blog and on Goodreads:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 556 comments Tina wrote: "I thought there was good suspense and would try another of Edwards' books in the future. I found Sophie rather annoying at times, felt sympathy for Jasmine and Simon was completely exasperating. Be..." I agree I liked the suspense and enjoyed it even though Sophie could be annoying.