EVERYONE Has Read This but Me - The Catch-Up Book Club discussion

It
This topic is about It

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kaseadillla | 1352 comments Mod
Hello all - starting up discussions for the OCTOBER 2017 BOTMs. This discussion is for the group's poll selection for the MODERN CLASSICS/POPULAR READS category: It by Stephen King.

This discussion will be SPOILER-FREE. If you have already finished the book and want to discuss, hop on over to the spoiler-filled discussion HERE .

Happy reading!
Kasey

Sarah | 731 comments I'm about 200 Pages in, started it awhile back. Taking a break from it to finish up some series, then I'll concentrate solely on that mother of a book! Great story so far, just long with tiny print! Pretty sure I need reading glasses.

Leesa I'm am loving this book so far! It's a big book but I'm loving the detail given to each character and hope it continues to hold my interest all the way to the end!

Sarah | 731 comments I agree Leesa! His character building is one of a kind. Really gets you attached to the characters and makes them feel less fictional, which helps you feel all of the scary stuff they go through!

I'm almost done and LOVING IT. I think sometimes the sode stories of the characters get to be a bit much... if and when I get bored of those parts I just skim BUT there's so much cool stuff going on I hate to miss even a word.

Leesa True about the side stories. I usually find just as I'm finding the detail a bit drawn out something interesting happens to pull me back in. It's like he knows... I love Stephen King!

message 7: by D.L. (new) - added it

D.L. I am looking forward to starting it. I rushed out late last night to grab a copy. All the used bookstores in town were out so I had to buy a new copy @ Barnes and Noble for $20+ but I think it will be worth it.

I want to see the new movie but will wait till I've finished the book. However, I did see the old TV version with John Ritter & Richard Thomas and actually enjoyed it. That's why I wanted to read the book so much :)

Bethany | 90 comments No spoilers, but both movie adaptations got certain things right, different things wrong. Both are rather good adaptations. IT will be in theaters for awhile, so you have time.

Sarah | 731 comments I soooo want to say what I was so disappointed about with the new movie, but I don't want to put it into any minds that haven't experienced it yet! I guess my expectations were way too high.

message 10: by Ceri (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ceri (cezzie) Really excited to read this. I'm a huge Stephen King fan but have been deliberately avoiding this because I have a clown phobia. Time to finally bite the bullet.

Martina Bučková | 146 comments I first saw the new adaptation of movie and I loved it (never seen the old one). It did not spoil my excitement to read the novel. I enjoy those small differences, doing like...ah this was totally different in movie.
I had to start the book already in September as I am really bad with big books and this has 1400 pages in my e-reader. I always get so lazy when a book has so many pages :) haha ..so far I am 21% through.

message 12: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Omg did not realise how thick this book is!.. Just finished the section with the introductions to all of the characters so looking forward to getting into the story

Ceri wrote: "Really excited to read this. I'm a huge Stephen King fan but have been deliberately avoiding this because I have a clown phobia. Time to finally bite the bullet."

I feel like this book is the reason for clown phobia. It's one of those books that I think many now-considered-cliche horror tropes was born out of.

Abigail I've got to be honest, this book is super daunting to me. (I'm also not helping matters by reading a bunch of other books at the same time.) I'm only 2% into it (heh). But I've enjoyed what I've read so far so I'm just going to keep at it. I also want to watch the movie, so that's another motivation to read the book.

message 15: by Bea (new) - added it

Bea (beaisabel) I really want to read this book but I also don't. I'm a huge scaredy-cat, so I don't think I'll be able to handle a Stephen King novel. I will probably read it when I'm a bit older, maybe in five years or so, but definitely not now.

daniela (daniela_nieblina) | 337 comments I want to get the audio book version, since I know I won't be able to read such a huge book. I hate scary things, and just the thought of spending that much time by myself and Steven King is terrifiying.
I tried reading Pet Cementary in high school, and could not finish it for the life of me. I remember turning right back to the library once I realized where the scary part was going to come, lol.
So I want the audio book because I can listen to it at work and not be terrified... but the reviews say a chapter was skipped! I honestly don't know what to do now.

message 17: by Mike (last edited Oct 03, 2017 04:09AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mike | 8 comments A King fan, but missed this one. I think I skipped it after reading The Stand on account of the length. About 200 pages in (started early) and totally into IT.

Leesa I'm nearly 400 pages in and so far, not scary and really enjoyable. I'm sure the scary parts may come later but start it and see how you feel...

message 19: by D.L. (new) - added it

D.L. Daniela wrote: "I want to get the audio book version, since I know I won't be able to read such a huge book. I hate scary things, and just the thought of spending that much time by myself and Steven King is terrif..."

Oh Pet Semetary was my introduction to Stephen King books and it was wildly scary. I need to start IT today but have so many other books for challenges to devour too lol

message 20: by D.L. (new) - added it

D.L. Bethany wrote: "No spoilers, but both movie adaptations got certain things right, different things wrong. Both are rather good adaptations. IT will be in theaters for awhile, so you have time."

I definitely plan to see the new version after I finish this huge book lol

I really want to read The Stand but need to take a break after finishing 1,116 pages of this, haha.

Calvin Tower (calvintower) | 54 comments I read this book for the first time earlier this year. Given the size of the book I might slim it again, but I won't have time to re-read it. I have read about half of Stephen King's books, and this is by far one of my favorites.

message 23: by Lena (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lena (nlgmcr69) | 81 comments Ceri wrote: "Really excited to read this. I'm a huge Stephen King fan but have been deliberately avoiding this because I have a clown phobia. Time to finally bite the bullet."

The old TV version of IT is exactly WHY I have a clown phobia. lol

message 24: by Lena (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lena (nlgmcr69) | 81 comments I am still on the waiting list for the library for this one. Hopefully, I will get it in time to read and join in on the discussion

daniela (daniela_nieblina) | 337 comments Lena wrote: "Ceri wrote: "Really excited to read this. I'm a huge Stephen King fan but have been deliberately avoiding this because I have a clown phobia. Time to finally bite the bullet."

The old TV version o..."

Oh god, I was a little brat when I walked in on someone watching the movie and it traumatized me! I don’t go anywhere near a clown, mime, or circus even as a grown up.
Even downloading the audiobook gave me stress! I literally sat for five minutes contemplating if I should click “confirm”.

message 26: by Neon's (last edited Oct 04, 2017 02:43AM) (new)

Neon's | 29 comments I'm going to start this one and hope it will be a fun reading because I have difficulty with long books sometimes. I will watch the classic movie to refresh my memories and wait for the new one to be available over here since it's not on the theaters where I live.

message 27: by Lena (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lena (nlgmcr69) | 81 comments Daniela wrote: "Oh god, I was a little brat when I walked in on someone watching the movie and it traumatized me!"

Yeah, we couldn't stay at the Boardwalk Resort at Walt Disney World (wouldn't even consider it) because the slide at the pool has exits out a clown's mouth...I just could NOT allow my child to slide out of a clown's mouth no matter how "friendly" the clown looks. Nope, nope, nope!

Kristin Ames (kmames) | 147 comments I read this one back in high school and it had mixed reviews for me. Amazing build up and character description, many terrifying moments but then I thought the ending was just...ehh. So due to its length I will not be rereading this one. The journey through the book is by far the best part. I saw someone commented about wanting to read The Stand, but is now doubting due to the length of It and I am assuming the length of The Stand (if I remember correctly there is a version of The Stand that is extended making the book over 1600 pages I think), however The Stand is pretty much one of my all time favorite books so I highly recommend it...the length is worth it!!

message 29: by Jess (new) - added it

Jess I've been looking for an excuse to pick up this beast of a book for years and the recent release of the movie and this group seems as good a reason as any! I've heard so many things about it...but the length is kind of daunting! If I'm hooked I've no problem with long books, but from some of the King novels I've read before they can start off pretty slow...is it the same with IT? Only way to find out I guess is to start!! 😊📖

daniela (daniela_nieblina) | 337 comments Jess wrote: "I've been looking for an excuse to pick up this beast of a book for years and the recent release of the movie and this group seems as good a reason as any! I've heard so many things about it...but ..."
I am barely like 10% into the audiobook, and yes, it does start slow. But for me at least, I absolutely love it! It sets the atmosphere, and has small moments here and there where it chills your spine. I start thinking "this really isn't scary yet", but then I stop listening and can feel my shoulders relaxing! XD

Lena wrote: "Daniela wrote: "Oh god, I was a little brat when I walked in on someone watching the movie and it traumatized me!"

Yeah, we couldn't stay at the Boardwalk Resort at Walt Disney World (wouldn't eve..."

Totally understand! Like for me, those little jack-in-the-box toys? For some reason, especially if they are antique or have an antique style, they scare me the most.
Its odd, because I'd rather take a picture with a clown than own a clown toy...

message 31: by Mike (last edited Oct 21, 2017 08:38AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mike | 8 comments Funny, after reading The Stand, a fun, albeit very long, ride, I found the end sorta meh. Now I'm kinda bummed if It turns out to be the same. Over 300 pages in and enjoying so far. Having seen the new movie (recommend it) it is interesting reading the book. The movie focused on one time line (the characters as kids), whereas the book alternates between timelines (kids/adults).

Sarah | 731 comments Shifting my attention back to this book now, I lost interest in the Hitchhiker series after the 3rd book :/

250 Pages in, ready to roll! Slow read for me so it’ll take awhile. Love the story though!

Kourtney Brennan | 2 comments I joined this group yesterday and was already in the middle of reading IT. I am on page 400 and am enjoying the story so far! King is certainly a winded writer, but his character build up is incredible. Whenever I find myself wishing a chapter would end and move on, it does, so I am able to stay interested. Can't wait to get to the scary parts! Also excited to be part of a group as I am new to Goodreads! Can't wait to see what we read in the future!

message 34: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily Pahlke Householder (pahlkita) Hannah wrote: "Omg did not realise how thick this book is!.. Just finished the section with the introductions to all of the characters so looking forward to getting into the story"

I'm thinking of cutting it into sections and rebinding so I can actually carry it around!

message 35: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Emily wrote: I'm thinking of..."

Haha I know! Maybe should have gone for the ebook version for this one... :D

daniela (daniela_nieblina) | 337 comments Emily wrote: "Hannah wrote: "Omg did not realise how thick this book is!.. Just finished the section with the introductions to all of the characters so looking forward to getting into the story"

I'm thinking of..."

You know how to bind books? I didn't even know that was something people did, unbind and rebind books!
My interest has been peaked.

Is anyone listening to the audiobook? Geeze, this narrator sure does know how to terrify me.

message 37: by Jess (new) - added it

Jess Daniela wrote: "Jess wrote: "I've been looking for an excuse to pick up this beast of a book for years and the recent release of the movie and this group seems as good a reason as any! I've heard so many things ab..."

Thank you for your reply! Yes it has started slow...but I just keep thinking 'I'll just read 10 more pages', and before I know it I've read 50! I think I might be more scared listening to an audiobook...always better in my head - I don't like the idea of not being able to hear background noise at scary parts!

Tonya (bookasaurustonya) | 50 comments I'm 600 pages in. I'm finally done with everyone's background/experiences so I'm hoping the rest of the book goes a lot faster.

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) | 545 comments I read this novel when it was originally released in the Middle Ages (baby boomer here, so yeah, I kid). I recently picked it up a few months ago, and I actually liked it better this time.

daniela (daniela_nieblina) | 337 comments Its not graphic, thank god. But I still feel very uncomfortable.

message 41: by Ieva (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ieva Strupisa (notesofabookdragon) I'm reading this book for 11 days already and I'm still at page 400. I think the fact that I see how huge the book is (my copy is 1376 pages) is putting me off. Should have chosen Kindle version instead... On top to that I have mixed feelings about it, which makes it even harder. Anyone else has a similar problem?

Sarah | 731 comments Leva, knowing the size of the book is making me read slow as well! I’ve been reading this for WAY too long. I make sure I read at least 20 Pages a night.

rich_reads_ | 2 comments Im just under 700 pages in and its been a task. I am enjoying It but i still have alot of mixed feelings about it. At points it has been so overly descriptive and goes off on a tangent that i lost alot of interest, that said i feel the last 200 pages really kicked it up a notch so im hoping it will remain this way.

EVERYONE Has Read This but Me - The Catch-Up...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Stand (other topics)
It (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Stephen King (other topics)