David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite! discussion

It
This topic is about It
Buddy Reads! > It by Stephen King Buddy Read

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - added it

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 12932 comments Mod
Karen and I are doing a buddy read of It by Stephen King Everyone is welcome to join!

There are no set chapters per day, we just read at our own paces and start each post with how far along you are, i.e., Chapter #, %, using spoilers where needed. Have fun!

Janie (sj_ellis11) I was supposed to buddy read It a long time ago and then...whoops! LOL. I need to pick it back up again.

message 3: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - added it

Feel free to join us, Sarah!

Karen’s Library | 11320 comments Mod
Yaay, Join us Sarah! I'm on chapter 18 on the audiobook but they're really quick chapters.

You get the gist of the book pretty immediately with the introduction of Pennywise. Gulp.

I've never seen the It movies, so this is all new to me. I'll most likely get the Kindle copy so I can switch back and forth between audio and print.

Janie (sj_ellis11) I am on page 15 LOL.
I was obsessed with the mini series as a kid, even though I hate scary movies. It definitely traumatized me - especially concerning the bathroom - for a long time haha

message 6: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - added it

Oh WOW Karen, I'm so thrilled for you! I think you're going to love this! Its definitely scary, but such amazing characters. Its really about rooting for the misfits and underdogs.

I'm at 13% and the movie is coming back to me now, but I adore all the extra info I'm getting on these characters. This book jumps around a lot from character to character and place and time, but its sort of weaving together a mystery with that. Love it so far!

message 7: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - added it

Sarah E. wrote: "I am on page 15 LOL.
I was obsessed with the mini series as a kid, even though I hate scary movies. It definitely traumatized me - especially concerning the bathroom - for a long time haha"

Me too!

Laura  (llbasaldua) | 15 comments I'm listening to the audio right now Im a little past half way through.

message 9: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - added it

Laura wrote: "I'm listening to the audio right now Im a little past half way through."

Awesome Laura! What do you think so far?

Laura  (llbasaldua) | 15 comments Jenny wrote: "Laura wrote: "I'm listening to the audio right now Im a little past half way through."

Awesome Laura! What do you think so far?"

Oh Its a reread for me I read it ages ago and decided to read it again before seeing the new remake. But the audio narrator is great !!

message 11: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - added it

Cool :)

Laura wrote: "Jenny wrote: "Laura wrote: "I'm listening to the audio right now Im a little past half way through."

Awesome Laura! What do you think so far?"

Oh Its a reread for me I read it ages ago and decide..."

I agree! Steven Weber is amazing as narrator!! I'm only in 12% but I'm definitely hooked!

message 13: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - added it

I'm up to 18% and I didn't want to stop reading last night! I'm so hooked! (view spoiler)

Jenny wrote: "I'm up to 18% and I didn't want to stop reading last night! I'm so hooked! [spoilers removed]"

I just hit 19% and I agree.

21% and I just hit the beginning of the boys' friendship. Very reminiscent of Stand By Me, which I loved. I adore the friendship already! And more to join in, I assume. :)

message 16: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - added it

I'm at 25%, and I agree completely :)

You will probably get ahead of me over the weekend. I'm going to my scrapbook retreat this weekend! I'm bringing my Kindle, although I don't expect to get much reading done. Don't really want to haul the huge book LOL!

Awwww have fun, Jenny!! So fun!

message 18: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - added it

Thanks Karen! I had a blast :)

So I did get quite a bit read last night. I'm up to 38% and through Part 2. I'm REALLY enjoying this! The last chapter was SUPER scary, freaked the heck out of me! And I don't think that scene was ever in the 80s movie, at least I don't remember it. I wonder if it will be in the new movie. I hope so! But man, I just love these characters!

Laura  (llbasaldua) | 15 comments Karen wrote: "21% and I just hit the beginning of the boys' friendship. Very reminiscent of Stand By Me, which I loved. I adore the friendship already! And more to join in, I assume. :)"

I thought the exact same thing!

Laura  (llbasaldua) | 15 comments Jenny wrote: "Thanks Karen! I had a blast :)

So I did get quite a bit read last night. I'm up to 38% and through Part 2. I'm REALLY enjoying this! The last chapter was SUPER scary, freaked the heck out of me! A..."

I finished a few days ago! and I know a lot of the books scenes were not in the TV Movie. Im not sure about the new one having more or different scenes but I know its been cut into two movies next coming out late 2018 i believe.

Laura  (llbasaldua) | 15 comments I gave it 4 stars because there is a scene thats very close to the end that gave me pause and reread because I thought I missed something to make that part make sense but I didnt and that scene just didnt fit and mae the story feel ---- Dirty! it was just NO!

Laura wrote: "I gave it 4 stars because there is a scene thats very close to the end that gave me pause and reread because I thought I missed something to make that part make sense but I didnt and that scene jus..."

Laura, I was driving while listening today, and got to a part that made me look at my phone with an icky feeling. Probably right before the 38% mark.

Jenny wrote: "Thanks Karen! I had a blast :)

So I did get quite a bit read last night. I'm up to 38% and through Part 2. I'm REALLY enjoying this! The last chapter was SUPER scary, freaked the heck out of me! A..."

Yay!!

I'm at about 39% and I know which scene you mean. There are some super creepy parts in this book. Wonder why adults can't see the bad, like the blood?

Laura  (llbasaldua) | 15 comments Karen wrote: "Jenny wrote: "Thanks Karen! I had a blast :)

So I did get quite a bit read last night. I'm up to 38% and through Part 2. I'm REALLY enjoying this! The last chapter was SUPER scary, freaked the hec..."

You will get to that , why they cant I mean ...

message 25: by Laura (last edited Oct 09, 2017 11:25PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura  (llbasaldua) | 15 comments Karen wrote: "Laura wrote: "I gave it 4 stars because there is a scene thats very close to the end that gave me pause and reread because I thought I missed something to make that part make sense but I didnt and ..."

There were a few scenes that I thought didnt belong or just felt wrong!! But the particular scene Im talking about is close to the end when they are all starting to remember what happened when they was kids and how they beat "IT" before again this part is so drawn out I felt like I went in circles 4 or 5 times with each character ... it was annoying!

Nancy (paper_addict) If I didn't have so many other reading commitments this month, I would have been reading this with you guys! It's been a long time since I read this.

message 27: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - added it

Aww too bad Nancy!

I'm up to 47%. Just finished the Reunion chapter. I remember that part well in the movie. Yuck!

Jenny wrote: "Aww too bad Nancy!

I'm up to 47%. Just finished the Reunion chapter. I remember that part well in the movie. Yuck!"

I read that part last night, too, Jenny. Those fortune cookies!! I'm at 47%.

And then I put the audio on to go to sleep. Yea, right !! Big mistake!! It freaked me out whatever I heard and although I don't remember, pretty sure I had nightmares!

Nancy wrote: "If I didn't have so many other reading commitments this month, I would have been reading this with you guys! It's been a long time since I read this."

Awww too bad! Would have been fun to have you join in too, Nancy!

message 30: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - added it

Karen wrote: "Jenny wrote: "Aww too bad Nancy!

I'm up to 47%. Just finished the Reunion chapter. I remember that part well in the movie. Yuck!"

I read that part last night, too, Jenny. Those fortune cookies!! ..."

Oh no! Yeah, I definitely don't recommend leaving the audio on while sleeping!!

Nancy (paper_addict) Jenny wrote: "Oh no! Yeah, I definitely don't recommend leaving the audio on while sleeping!! ..."

You guys crack me up!

message 32: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - added it

I'm getting ready to read some more of this here in a bit. Fallen behind, been reading other things!

Ditto, Jenny. I'm about 61%.

message 34: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - added it

I just finished the EPIC rock scene! This is one of my favorite scenes so far :) (view spoiler)

And NAUGHTY King, making Koontz such a terrible character. Shame on you!

Laura  (llbasaldua) | 15 comments Jenny wrote: "I just finished the EPIC rock scene! This is one of my favorite scenes so far :) [spoilers removed]

And NAUGHTY King, making Koontz such a terrible character. Shame on you!"

Right!?!

message 36: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - added it

Laura wrote: "Jenny wrote: "I just finished the EPIC rock scene! This is one of my favorite scenes so far :) [spoilers removed]

And NAUGHTY King, making Koontz such a terrible character. Shame on you!"

Right!?!"

I mean, it seems a bit petty. They both sell books like no tomorrow and have both made a great living. Its not like readers can't like both too! Plenty of room for both authors!

I saw an interview of Stephen and Owen King about how Owen would narrate books on cassette tapes for his Dad when he was a kid. That was his chore. They specifically talked about doing Dean Koontz books, so I got the impression they admired Koontz. :)

message 38: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 954 comments Karen wrote: "I saw an interview of Stephen and Owen King about how Owen would narrate books on cassette tapes for his Dad when he was a kid. That was his chore. They specifically talked about doing Dean Koontz ..."

He probably does admire or at least respect Dean Koontz, and I've personally read and enjoyed Koontz more than King. But there's this skit they pull in Family Guy that plays Koontz off as a mega King lover who just gets under Kings' skin and it is super entertaining haha. He even said something about "Nothing wrong with second best, that's what I always say!" Not sure what their relationship(if any) is actually like, but I find stuff like that hilarious.

I'm at 73% and almost DNF'd after reading the Patrick stuff. I had to switch from audio to print so I could just skim over. That was just too much. (view spoiler)

Tommy wrote: "Karen wrote: "I saw an interview of Stephen and Owen King about how Owen would narrate books on cassette tapes for his Dad when he was a kid. That was his chore. They specifically talked about doin..."

Tommy, I also read more Koontz than King.

Laura  (llbasaldua) | 15 comments Karen wrote: "I saw an interview of Stephen and Owen King about how Owen would narrate books on cassette tapes for his Dad when he was a kid. That was his chore. They specifically talked about doing Dean Koontz ..."

I just read Sleeping Beauties by Stephen King that interview was at the end of the book. Specifically because they meant for Sleeping Beauties to me a TV movie , even tried a pilot but they didnt like it,so they aimed for it to be an audio book which of course it is , I found it funny how they talked about these audio books and Koontz was mentioned more than once for books Owen read to his dad. But IT was written along time ago so who knows how their relationship was back then or maybe "competitors"

Laura  (llbasaldua) | 15 comments Karen wrote: "I'm at 73% and almost DNF'd after reading the Patrick stuff. I had to switch from audio to print so I could just skim over. That was just too much. [spoilers removed]"

I know this part was so gross !! It was just sick!! I fast forwarded through it.

Well, I finished. Here's what I said in my review:

Although the writing was incredible, and the narration by Steven Weber was absolutely brilliant, I struggled to finish this. Especially the last 10% or so. There was just too much unnecessary story that bogged down the pacing. And then there were a few really disturbing scenes, one in particular very near the end (view spoiler) that really turned me off.

Kudos for the writing and the narration, or I would have DNF'd long ago.

message 44: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - added it

I feel like I'm kind of "stuck" in the story myself. I really want to finish by Halloween, but not sure I can make myself do it!

message 45: by Karen’s Library (last edited Oct 28, 2017 11:37AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenny wrote: "I feel like I'm kind of "stuck" in the story myself. I really want to finish by Halloween, but not sure I can make myself do it!"

I seriously had to push myself for the last half. I don't have any desire to see IT in the theatre now. I don't think I'm a big fan of straight on horror books. I am glad I read it though, because it kept calling me at the bookstore. ;)

Janie (sj_ellis11) I finally picked this up and I'm at 10%. My goal was to make it halfway through by the end of the month, but I may be able to finish it :)

Awesome Sarah! Let us know how you’re liking it!

David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

It (other topics)
Sleeping Beauties (other topics)