Goodreads Ireland discussion

The Heart's Invisible Furies
This topic is about The Heart's Invisible Furies
Q4 QIR: The Heart Invisible > Oct-Dec: The Heart Invisible Furies

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) This is the discussion thread for The Heart's Invisible Furies

Allan Great to see that the group has chosen this title. I was lucky enough to attend an event in the summer when Boyne was talking about the title. Another masterpiece, in my opinion, but will be interesting to see what others think of it.

message 3: by Cathleen (new)

Cathleen | 2409 comments I've just ordered this--used--and the proceeds will benefit the HousingWorksCafe in NYC, so that's a good end. I was so struck reading A History of Loneliness, and I've heard this may be an even better novel. I also found Boyne's This House is Haunted that I had forgotten I had bought....

DebsD | 17 comments Have just finished this, and wow. Thank you to whoever nominated this one!

Patrick Rooney | 21 comments Hilariously funny so far. I haven't read a book where I am heartily laughing out loud for a long while. Great selection!

Allan Patrick, interestingly enough, I was at an event for this book that Boyne spoke at, and he said that he didn't set out to make it funny - it just developed that way.

Declan, just a heads up that the book is still only out on hardcover at present - it comes out in paperback on 27th December in UK, so will prob be the same with you.

DebsD | 17 comments Allan wrote: "Patrick, interestingly enough, I was at an event for this book that Boyne spoke at, and he said that he didn't set out to make it funny - it just developed that way."

I wonder how much of that is down to the setting. Boyne captures the Irish wit very well - the self-deprecation, the digs and just-on-the-edge teasing, the disrespect for those in authority - can you imagine (view spoiler) I thought the dialogue in this was brilliant. Also the story. And the writing. And the characters. (I might be a little bit in love with Boyne at this point...)

Of course while bits of it are laugh-out-loud, there are some gut-punches in there too, and some bits which left me teary (very unusual for a book to do that!)

SueLucie | 72 comments it's still available on NetGalley so I'm hoping to get it. If not, I might have to buy it (gulp) since it sounds so good and I want to join in.

Allan DebsD, you're dead right when you talk about the gut punches - in all the main settings. The first section in particular is harrowing. Your description of your reaction to the book's features is also spot on. I still stick by the 3 word review when I listened to it for the first time in February - "Believe the hype..."

Sue, if you're going to break a book buying ban, knowing what I know of your tastes in fiction, this book is well worth doing it for. And for what better reason than to be able to discuss the novel with friends?

SueLucie | 72 comments You're so right Allan, discussion is key. I've a couple of other books stacked up and then I'm on to it, even if it's a hardback (not my favourite medium).

Allan It's a weighty tome in this case as well, Sue - I did buy it in hardcover as well, mainly because I was at the event in the summer - meant that I was able to get it signed.

Allan It's a weighty tome as well, Sue - I bought the hardcover to get it signed at the event. I'll probably relisten next month, as one of my in person clubs is reading it for January as well - want to keep the detail fresh in my head for both discussions!

Allan Oops - thought that last comment hadn't posted which is why I repeated myself! You get the gist anyway!

Susan | 4707 comments I hope we get a spoiler thread up so we can discuss the book.

Siobhan (missos) | 19 comments We read this recently in our book club and it was amazing. I had heard John Boyne interviewed on radio 1 and this enticed me to read the book. Waiting to see what the rest of you think of it.

Susan | 4707 comments I would love to have heard him talk about this book. Can you remember if he said anything interesting? Is he a good speaker?

Siobhan (missos) | 19 comments Yes Susan he is very interesting. I only came on the interview after it started. He is very calming to listen to. I had only read “the boy in the stripped pajamas before” but am definitely going to read more of his now - when I have time!!

Bookworm with Kids The spoiler thread for The Heart's Invisible Furies is now open.

Thomas (tom471) | 1568 comments Mod
I have just started The Heart's Invisible Furies

message 21: by Bookworm with Kids (last edited Oct 29, 2017 12:47PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bookworm with Kids I saw this link on Twitter, I thought it might be interesting:
www.readitforward.com/author-intervie...

Susan | 4707 comments Bookworm with Kids wrote: "I saw this link on Twitter, I thought it might be interesting:
An Interview with John Boyne"

This link didn't work for me.

Bookworm with Kids Susan wrote: "Bookworm with Kids wrote: "I saw this link on Twitter, I thought it might be interesting:
An Interview with John Boyne"

This link didn't work for me."

Sorry, Susan, I should have tried it before I posted it. I will try to repair the link. I probably left out a letter or / when I was typing out the link!

Bookworm with Kids Ok, Susan and everybody
The link is now working. I am not used to putting links in to Goodreads!

Susan | 4707 comments Thank you, Bookworm. It was a really interesting article. I appreciate you putting it up. As far as the link, I would not even have attempted it as I am techno ignorant. I admire your abilities and am a trifle jealous.

Allan Not really relevant, but an insight into Boyne's life as a novelist!

https://twitter.com/john_boyne/status...

message 27: by Andy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Andy (_btp) | 311 comments it's not you, it's me...

not sure why, but early stages in this one and it is really rubbing me the wrong way, to the degree that I find myself deliberately dwelling on apparent anachronisms and on the gratingly precocious kid's dialogue

maybe I just wasn't in the right mood yesterday,
will persevere

Susan | 4707 comments Andy wrote: "it's not you, it's me...

not sure why, but early stages in this one and it is really rubbing me the wrong way, to the degree that I find myself deliberately dwelling on apparent anachronisms and o..."

Susan | 4707 comments I hope it gets better for you, Andy. I am curious about your statement on apparent anachronisms. Can you give me an example? It passed me right by and I am curious. I agree with you on the kid dialogue.

message 31: by Andy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Andy (_btp) | 311 comments hi Susan - glad I stuck with it

7 year olds' dialogue just seemed so ill-judged to me

and something about microphones in 1940's rural west Cork church doesn't sit right

Susan | 4707 comments I laughed out loud at that one about the microphones when I read your comment. You are so right. Very unlikely. I recently read a book about the tight airport security in the 1980's which didn't happen until 9/11. In the 80's we used to sit with departing people at the gate doors. There was no real security. It's things like that grate on your nervous.

I also agree with the 7 year old's dialogue. I put it down to being left by himself so much.

I am 20% along in my kindle version. The act of a priest physically kicking a 16 year old pregnant woman and calling her a whore in front of the church congregation was shocking. I am guessing that the RC church is not pleased with this book. I was raised RC, but have been lapsed for 45 years.

Susan | 4707 comments I agree with you, Thomas. That scene was unbelievable to me. I just can't picture it. Of course, I go to a quirky church. We are on the corner of the two main streets in town and get a lot of the wandering cannabis workers and homeless. Yesterday we had a group of kids from Poland who apparently found the service too long. We all watched through the French windows as they took a break to smoke a couple of joints. I wonder what that priest in the book would have made of that.

If I were to resume going to church, I might like yours.:)

Susan | 4707 comments One of our attendees is a Wiccan priestess so we welcome all.

I finished and gave it 4 stars. My review. https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Colleen | 1205 comments I started this last night and I was struck with how hypocritical the priest is and the double standard of the girl being a whore but the boy is just named and he is allowed to stay but regardless she is thrown out of town and told to never return and the parents just let it happen! I'm only a few pages in and am emotionally attached already !

Susan | 4707 comments I was too. It's hard to imagine that scene in real life especially in a church.

SueLucie | 72 comments Wahay, I've just been approved for a copy on NetGalley. I'm rather late to the party but keen to start reading it soon.

Susan | 4707 comments You can never be too late to read a book, Sue. Congratulations on your win.

Allan Just a comment on the notion of the 7 year old's precocious dialogue mentioned above. I'm at that stage in the book, and it's worth remembering that it's a first person narrative looking back over many years, so in other words an adult recounting his memories of conversations etc. In addition to this, he does mention the fact that the Averys always spoke to him as an adult, hence the reason for his vocabulary being a lot more advanced than other children of his age.

What I've taken from that first section was the brutality of the attack on Sean and the resultant lack of action against his father, and the story that Mrs Hennessey told about her own arrival in Dublin - once again the darkness under the desire to keep up appearances. Trying hard not to include spoilers in what I'm saying, but to me, very effective and powerful writing.