You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Group Themed Reads: Discussions > October 2017 - Reporting Thread

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14760 comments Please read through the reporting thread carefully to ensure to report correctly to get your badge/s.

After you have read your chosen book(s) for this month's group theme read, please report in the thread below.

Please state what book you read (and link it), that you discussed it (and where), and briefly summarise what you thought of the book and/or link to your review if you have written one.

If you lead the discussion, please state this in your post.

Here is an example for how to report your read:

“I read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and discussed it in the [Harry Potter/Buddy Read/Other books in theme] thread. I really enjoyed the book. I watched the film first so I already knew the story line but I was surprised how much I enjoyed the book more as there was more detail involved. Plus I listened to the audio which was narrated by Stephen Fry who is a superb narrator. 4 stars.”

If you read more than one book which fits the theme, please report all your reads in the same post rather than in separate posts.

Please note, there are THREE different badges that can be obtained for group reads. Those reading and discussing one of the two chosen group reads will receive a colourful badge similar to those for previous group reads. Those reading and discussing any other book in the theme will receive a stamp. The discussion leader for the two chosen group reads will receive a badge stating they led the discussion. Maximum amount of badges you can receive for the group reads is TWO - one for the chosen group read/discussion leader and one for any other book in the theme.

In order to receive a badge you must:
1. have read the book(s) before or during September 2017.
2. discussed it in the relevant thread. Discussion must be more than "I read the book and I liked it". Discussion requires something more substantial and analytical of what you read, for example, thoughts, opinions, impact it had on you, what was your favourite part, was it what you expected it to be like etc. You may also like to review the book and post a link to the review in that thread.
3. Report that you have read AND discussed the book in the reporting thread below, along with a brief summary of what you thought.

message 2: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 2112 comments I read The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett, and discussed/am discussing it in its thread.
I really enjoyed following these young people as they grew into their rolls in the war to come. There were some excellent topics touched on - the mob mentality (for good or evil), the fight or flight response to fear (current and ingrained), the reality of survivors guilt, and the importance of teamwork (from small groups, to communities, to nations), to name just a few. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and will be seeking out the rest of the series.

message 3: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10068 comments Jenn wrote: "I read The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett, and discussed/am discussing it in its thread.
I really enjoyed following these young people as they grew into their rolls in..."

AND it works for the HULK during the Toppler!

message 4: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 2112 comments But alas, I finished it before the toppler. But for anyone who was putting it off until after the toppler, it will be perfect - points and a badge 😃

message 5: by Almeta (last edited Oct 08, 2017 10:21PM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10068 comments Jenn wrote: "But alas, I finished it before the toppler. But for anyone who was putting it off until after the toppler, it will be perfect - points and a badge 😃"

DARN! *@#*$

message 6: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47793 comments I read The Vagrant and was the group discussion leader.

I wanted to really like this book, but I found that I had more questions at the end of the book than answers. I found it very hard to visualize some of the characters and technology. Still, it had an interesting premise - a mute stranger, travels across the land on a quest with a baby and goat in tow. The goat was the most interesting character by far. While I said I won't read further in the series, I will read the novella that tells the story of Hammer Who Walks and the goat, The Hammer and the Goat.

message 7: by Eliestal (new)

Eliestal | 255 comments I read The Painted Man by Peter V. Brett and am discussing it in the thread.

This book was very enjoyable and easy to read. I liked that we started with children even though there were lots of timeskip. I feel like it was necessary to see the circumstances that brought our characters up. As they aged the pace picked up and the stakes rosed quite a bit by the end of the book. Even though it was not very dark for the theme of this month read the rest of the series will probably be judging by the end of the book and wars to come.
This, to me, was a great start to a series that leaves you wanting more. That is why I gave it 5 stars.

message 8: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14760 comments I started The Vagrant but abandoned it after reading about 30%. It was just too confusing for me, I couldn't keep track of the names and the story and had a hard time visualizing all the creatures.

I then picked up The Painted Man, which was much more to my liking. This was a great start to a series, and I already ordered the next 3 books. It started a bit differently than I expected, more in a YA-like way when we followed our MC's growing up. In the last part of the book the pace picked up and it became more the type of book I was thinking it would be. I liked the MC's, the writing was easy to follow and made the book hard to put down, and I liked that I wasn't bombarded with dozens of names and places to keep track off from the beginning, or a very complicated magic system to understand. However, the end has made it clear that there's a lot more for us to learn!

message 9: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19729 comments I read The Warded Man and discussed it in the book thread. I really loved the author's world of demons, magic and humanity as prisoners of the night. The text was not complex, but compelling and easy to read (and not easy to put down!). His characters were believable, even the bad ones. As the first book in a series, it is one of the best I have read this year. In the same grimdark genre, I read The Lies of Locke Lamora a couple of months ago and felt the same sense of excitement and need for more. I can hardly wait to start the second book.

message 10: by Lara (new)

Lara | 1426 comments I read The Liar's Key and discussed it in the grimdark discussion thread. The protagonist is likeable, but an antihero in that he actively avoids doing anything heroic as much as possible. At times his self-centered behavior is annoying, but given the dangerous situations in which he finds himself it is sometimes understandable. At other times it is his own fault and I lacked sympathy. When I read the first book a year or so ago I don't remember realizing it took place in a fantasy far future. That is clear in this book, as some technology is in evidence amongst the magic and gods. I enjoyed it but was disappointed it ended on a cliffhanger.

message 11: by Ben (last edited Oct 27, 2017 08:47AM) (new)

Ben (basebox) | 113 comments This month I read The Painted Man and found it to be a thoroughly enjoyable read; I really like the main characters and I liked that there wasn't an overabundance of details like other novels/series in the same genre, the latter being something which has put me off reading books within the same genre.

I did feel it fit more in the theme towards the end than the beginning, think this was due to the novel becoming darker towards the end.

A couple of things that I thought marred the experience; the last couple of chapters, and the time jumps in chapters, both of which I discussed in the book's discussion thread.

Aside from this though a thoroughly enjoyable read and I can't wait to read the rest of the series. Rating - 4.5/5

message 12: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9567 comments Thanks for the reminder Peggy!

I read The Painted Man and I was the discussion leader.

I enjoyed the book very much. The theme of the group read was "Grimdark" and while this book obviously fitted the category, it was far from the darkest fantasy I have read.

The premise of the book is very dark - demons spring up out of the earth every night and slaughter everyone they can get at. I think what makes is feel less dark is portrayal of community life, the focus on relationships between characters and the touch of humour with which it is written.

I will definitely be continuing this series - in the near future ;-)

message 13: by Laura (last edited Oct 29, 2017 10:08AM) (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) I read The Vagrant and discussed it in the book thread.

Even though I loved the Vagrant, the baby and the goat and really liked some of the secondary characters like Harm and the Hammer, i cannot say I loved the book.

The writing seemed brilliant at times, the author conveying a myriad of emotions through the description of a simple look or gesture, but felt choppy at most other times. I couldn't properly visualise the creatures either and the end of the book left me with more questions than those I had at the beginning.

I rated it 2.5 stars and am not really inclined towards reading the rest of the books in the series.

Saar The Book owl | 1689 comments I've read The Painted Man
This book was another genre of fantasy for me: grimdark. I've never read any book in this genre, but I have to admit: this was really good. In our library it is classified as fantasy in the adult section, but with a recommondation as YA and personally I found it just between YA and adult fantasy. I loved the way how the author gives women a big role, even a woman as a main character. That is hard to find. What I missed a bit, was more explanation about making potions, about their journey's on the road. What is remarcable, is that it is more a coming of age book. The story focusses on relationships between parents and children, between children and children...The writing was easy and you got pulled in the story immediately. Sometimes it was hard to put the book down. After all it was a great read.

message 15: by Almeta (last edited Oct 30, 2017 12:12PM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10068 comments I have finished The Vagrant with barely a moment left in October! I have made some comments in the appropriate discussion thread and will go back to add more from my notes.

I enjoyed reading about The Vagrant, the Baby and the Sword. Oooh and let's not forget The Goat! The powerful enemies confused me. (view spoiler)

I am still trying to assess the ending. (view spoiler)

message 16: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments I read The Warded Man and have been in the group discussion. This was my second reading and while I don't feel the need to adjust my original rating on it was a good refresher. The way the series goes it was good to return to the beginning once again and see the roots of the warded man

message 17: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments I read The Warded Man. I originally found I had enjoyed the story and said so in the discussion thread and my review, but in retrospect I did take issue with some of it. I just posted my devil's advocate thoughts in the discussion thread, since I'm pretty sure everyone loved this one. I rated it a 4, and think it still deserves that rating. But, folks, I've read these types of fantasy books for years, and felt a bit let down in the long run.

Now to alter my review a bit.

message 18: by Steve (new)

Steve Perkins | 44 comments I read The Warded Man and discussed it in the discussion group. I really enjoyed the book and found it's concept of a human world losing ground to a relentless nightly demon onslaught to be very evokative and intriguing. I really liked the idea of safe places behind runes ("wards") and the lost art behind them that was fading with the fading of society. The characters who rise in the book to begin to reverse the trend and bring mankind back into the fight were interesting, engaging and geneally likeable. There were a few spots in the story where the characters seemed to be a little hamfisted or clunky in their emotional range or evolution, but the general pacing and tenor of the stories was well crafted and engaging. There was enough humor, wisdom, and general good story-telling to make up for the few shortfalls.

The themes of cowardice and the price we pay for tolerating oppression were strongly addressed throughout the novel and there were many thoughtful points made. Horror and fear, it said, make some men freeze and cower, while it makes others rise to the challenge to defend and protect.

I rated the book 4 stars.

message 19: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10068 comments Steve wrote: "I read The Warded Man and discussed it in the discussion group. I really enjoyed the book and found it's concept of a human world losing ground to a relentless nightly demon onslaugh..."

Excellent review!☺

message 20: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18168 comments I reread The Painted Man and discussed it in the thread. It was as good as the first time. I don't normally reread books but as this is a favourite series I thought i would give it a go. Plus i wanted the storyline fresh in my mind for the whole series ahead of reading the final book which has just been released. I really like the wards and the demons in this book. The main characters are likeable and the way the story is told you really get to know them and get behind them in their quest. Love it.

I also read The Vagrant and discussed it in the thread. I didn't quite finish the book. I had to out it aside as my head wasn't in it. I will return to it though.

message 21: by Laura (Lclwags) (new)

Laura (Lclwags) (lclwags) | 504 comments I read The Warded Man and added my comments to the discussion thread. This was the first book in a long time that had me hooked from the very beginning. I've had a crazy busy month and I would find myself trying to rush through something to make time to read! I can't wait to continue with book 2 and see if humanity can overcome the fear and complacency that has kept them trapped and weak.

message 22: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14760 comments Badges have been posted. Let me know if I missed you.

message 23: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19729 comments Cool badge, Peggy! Thank you.

message 24: by Danisha (new)

Danisha | 54 comments Sorry guys I have not been on Goodreads for weeks, dealing with family health issues. Is it okay for me to still post my reposting I know I'm pretty late?

I read The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett. This book was a great read with you guys. The story and characters were very refreshing. The story kept you involved and trapped in a world of wonder. I had a hard time reading other books while I read this one. I can't wait to continue the journey with the Demon Cycle, and I hope the rest of the series is as great as this first book. Now in my top 3 books of the year so far.

message 25: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14760 comments I hope everything's fine now Danisha.

I'll give you a badge when I get home. Remind me if you don't have one by tomorrow.

message 26: by Danisha (new)

Danisha | 54 comments Thanks, Peggy it's up and down. We're trying a new procedure, will have to see how that works out.

I saw the lovely badge today, thanks again.