MidCoast Libraries Better Reading Bookclub discussion

The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair
The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bev (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bev | 22 comments Although this novel was easy to read and had plenty of twists, it seemed somehow disjointed; almost like it was being made up as it went along. 

I didn't know what to feel about Harry because I wasn't given the full story about his relationship with Nola. I'm still not sure. Was it platonic? 

I generally felt that I wasn't introduced properly to ANY of the characters, perhaps intentionally, so that the author had room to move with the many twists and turns he had most of the characters perform. 

I thought some events seemed unrealistic e.g. that Marcus honoured Harry's request to burn his notes without looking at them, (especially given that a copy of the manuscript was found with Nola's body); or that someone vicious enough to be part of a 'Field Goals Gang' would, without correction, feel remorse later on in life. In fact there were so many characters that seemed overly-responsive in an unnatural way, causing a chain reaction which wouldn't ordinarily occur.

As I said earlier though, I did enjoy the book, I kept returning to it gladly, but it just seemed to lack credibility and structure.

message 2: by Julie (new)

Julie | 9 comments Hi I enjoyed reading thus book also although I felt towards the end it dragged a bit and the twists were never ending. I liked the main character Marcus and his mentor Harry and their relationship was engaging. Like Bev wasn't too sure about the relationship between Harry and Nola but this probably just added to the intrigue of the story.

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris Jones | 75 comments Mod
Hi all,

I really struggled with this novel, so clearly it wasn't my cup of tea. I really appreciated the fact that both Bev and Julie got value out of it since I had selected it based on assessing the Goodreads comments. I just found the characters a bit too one dimensional and, as Bev noted, there were elements of he plot that didn't ring true.

I would probably only give it 2 out of 5, but that is the nature of Bookclub's. it's rare to get universal agreement on a novel. One person's treasure ... when the remaining outstanding copies come in I'll grab something else.

Suggestion would be appreciated (we also have a lot more new titles in the book club collection so choice should be greater).
Cheers
Chris

message 4: by Louise (new)

Louise | 23 comments Some suggestions for next book from Great Lakes Book Club collection.
Whispers through a megaphone - Rachel Elliot - GR score 3.61
Mr Darwin's shooter - Roger McDonald -GR score 3.37
Our man in Havana - Graham Greene - GR score 3.94
The art of racing in the rain - Garth Stein - GR score 4.19
The book of Rachael - Leslie Cannold - GR score 3.65

Louise

message 5: by Bev (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bev | 22 comments I have taken the liberty of grabbing one of the Book Club kits that Louise suggested. Hope that's okay with everyone. It is the highest rated one on the list that Louise submitted - The Art of Racing in the Rain. The copies are in Chris's office.

message 6: by Louise (new)

Louise | 23 comments Thanks Bev -I hear it's an excellent book. Is there any chance a copy could go to Taree for me to collect?

message 7: by Bev (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bev | 22 comments Sure! I'll arrange to get it to you next week. Perhaps by Thursday?

message 8: by Louise (new)

Louise | 23 comments Great - will look for it after Thursday.

message 9: by Chris (new)

Chris Jones | 75 comments Mod
Thanks Bev and Louise. I'll grab a copy too.
Cheers Chris

message 10: by Julie (new)

Julie | 9 comments Hi Bev thanks for picking the Art of Racing in the Rain as our next read. I found it a powerfully written book covering a topic that is quite relevant and creates a very emotional story about love and compassion. The fact that it was told from a dogs perspective made it even more amazing. Thanks

message 11: by Bev (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bev | 22 comments Thanks Julie - I'm glad you enjoyed it. I didn't have much to do with choosing it. I simply grabbed the highest ranking and most available kit from Louise's suggestions, so thanks Louise!
I am also enjoying it immensely. It has everything for me - I'm a dog lover, a racing car enthusiast, and sometimes need to race to work on wet days! :)

message 12: by Louise (new)

Louise | 23 comments Bev,
My copy of the
Art of Racing in the Rain returned to Taree librarian desk today. Thank you for getting it to me.