Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Bannerless (The Bannerless Saga, #1)
This topic is about Bannerless
Group Read - Bannerless > Group Read - Bannerless Final comments Spoilers welcome

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14290 comments Now that you have finished the book, what did you think? Do you read other post-apocalyptic novels? No spoilers for other books please, but Spoilers for Bannerless are welcome here.

message 2: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14290 comments I read a few dystopian novels a year. I am disturbed by post-apocalyptic stories but feel they are important to read and consider. This one is no exception and the more subtle decline of "the fall" is even more chilling.
The "police" procedural aspect of this book was of special interest to me. I liked Enid and her perspective of her world and curiosity about the past and others outside her experience.
It appears there may be a second book and I will definitely read it.

Geri I agree with you , Ann. I will read more of the series. I have read a few books in her Kitty Norville series, which are lighter, paranormal, urban fantasy fare. I wasn’t sure what to expect, but I was interested. I’m glad I took a chance!

message 4: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14290 comments Geri: I usually enjoy urban paranormal books so I now need to add the Kitty Norville books to my bulging TBR list. :)

Geri I see The Girl Who Takes An Eye For An Eye is coming up. I’ll hold off reading this til December, so I can read it with the group. The John Grisham book, I am not sure. I was disappointed with Camino Island.

message 6: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14290 comments Geri: Camino Island was certainly different and not like other Grisham books. Hopefully The Rooster Bar will be good. Good to know you'll be reading The Girl who takes an Eye for an Eye too!
Geri wrote: "I see The Girl Who Takes An Eye For An Eye is coming up. I’ll hold off reading this til December, so I can read it with the group. The John Grisham book, I am not sure. I was disappointed with Cami..."

Ceelee | 204 comments On the whole I enjoyed Bannerless. I think Carrie Vaughn is a terrific writer! I especially enjoyed her descriptive writing about Enid's and Dak's adventures to the ruins and the flood. That was the best part of the book for me. I was interested in the book because of the traditional murder mystery in the story. While that was an interesting part of the book, it was a little disappointing in that I figured out the who well beforehand but not the how or why. I am not a fan of post-apocalyptic novels but I agree they do hold relevance to what is happening in our own country with the hurricanes, flood and wildfires etc. Truth is stranger than fiction but fiction can also point to the truth even if we don't immediately recognize it. It is possible we may be at the beginning of a Fall. Surely Puerto Rico has had a sort of Fall with so much of their citizens struggling without electricity or enough resurrects to build again. I am from Texas and I was in Houston for the World Series games played there and while the roads are clear and the water is gone there is still a lot to be done and even our own state legislature voted against more aid. We all need to pay attention to what is happening now because if we let it slide there will be more to fix that won't be fixed and perhaps this kind of thing contributed to the Fall in the book. Unfortunately with so many egos involved in decision making we may never be able to avoid even bigger disasters. I recently read that if America experienced a catastrophic event 90% of Americans would be dead within a year. Pretty scary thought.

message 8: by Ann (last edited Nov 17, 2017 10:18PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14290 comments Ceelee: I just finished the first Kitty Norville book today and agree, Carrie Vaughn is a terrific writer. And we do need to pay attention to what caused the Fall in Bannerless. The recent floods and hurricanes, nuclear threats and potentially dangerous illnesses, especially coming up on the hundred year mark since the 1918 pandemic flu that killed millions and the terribly tragic situation in Puerto Rico must give us all pause.

Barry (barrypz) | 2963 comments This book impressed me. The future was carefully crafted out of the indignities we are already imposing on the planet, giving it an air of reality. The real strength of this book though was the humanity it imbued in Enid as she carried out her duties.

message 10: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14290 comments Barry: Thanks for commenting and reminding me of how much I liked the book and the character Enid. It does have a scary air of reality. I hope that books calling out those realities might help us pull back from the brink of disaster.
Barry wrote: "This book impressed me. The future was carefully crafted out of the indignities we are already imposing on the planet, giving it an air of reality. The real strength of this book though was the humanity..."