The Read Around The World Book Club discussion

The Ice Princess (Patrik Hedström, #1)
This topic is about The Ice Princess
October 2017 - SWEDEN > Chapters 1, 2 and 3

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Melanie | 338 comments Mod
I guess the cold setting is perfect for October, how are we all finding the book so far.

I just finished the first chapter and I am slightly annoyed at all those descriptive passages about the people. Every person Erica meets, we get a short synopsis of their CV... other than that, I guess it's ok. Not too grim at the moment, that has been my main concern. It's in many ways very similar to a cozy mystery which I find kind of interesting.

message 3: by Marcella (new) - added it

Marcella | 11 comments I'm enjoying it so far. I was a bit apprehensive for this month's theme. I am the biggest whimp, so I don't really read thrillers and I'm not a big fan of crime novels.

But up to now it feels more like a character study then a crime novel. I love the cold setting and Fjällbacka seems like a very cosy place, despite the occasional murder.. Right now I would quite gladly spend a reading holiday there.

I wonder how people like this book who do actually read more in this genre.

I finished chapter 2 and it’s fine. Not too grim. I have a feeling about where it’s heading and so I am steeling myself for it. The urinary tract infection quote made me howl with laughter though.

Susan | 13 comments As a devotee of gritty crime thrillers, I was looking forward to cracking the cover of this month's read because this book is the first in a series. And, if the story is enticing then I've found a series of books to consume as the days get shorter in my frosty corner of Canada. It's interesting to note that this book was published around 2003 and the translator for the first few books is male and a woman for subsequent books in the series. Just like Marcella, I'm enjoying the setting of the book in a cold environment which I find well described. The characters are beginning to be drawn out and I do like the way Camilla has written about all the characters except for the head of police, Mellberg. For some reason I find her depiction of Mellberg to be jarring because he is sketched in crude terms when it comes to the way he ogles female officers, interviews the family of the deceased and his overall arrogance of being too good for his position. I know Mellberg is a creep however he could be better drawn out without the stereotyping of a police dinosaur. For example, Erica's brother-in-law, Lucas epitomizes controlling and menancing yet I find her writing about Lucas not to be stereotypical compared to Mellberg. All in all, as I begin chapeter 3, I'm getting all the feels of what I need in a crime thriller.

Just finished chapter 3. Those chapters are loooong. I fully admit that I am finding this all a bit silly. Not very gritty. The conversations between the characters are so stilted and unnatural, the women all seem dependend on men. And how can she go into a house that is now a crime scene and discover a clue, surely the police been over that place.

Britta Böhler | 51 comments I've read the first three chapters, and... I am bored. Sorry to say, but so far I dont think it's a good book. It feels all very much 'constructed', the dialogues are quite bad, and the reaction of people is unnatural (e.g. the conversation between Erica and the husband just hours after the discovery of the body of his wife and he talks like he is in a business meeting). Not to mention the info dump which is done quite cumsily. Hope things improve!

Britta wrote: "I've read the first three chapters, and... I am bored. Sorry to say, but so far I dont think it's a good book. It feels all very much 'constructed', the dialogues are quite bad, and the reaction of..."

I can honestly say: It does not get any better.

message 9: by MsAprilVincent (new)

MsAprilVincent | 6 comments Would you say this is okay for the weak-stomached? I read cozies because I cannot handle hard, graphic crime. I keep opening the book, then putting it down because I'm afraid it will be gory. I'm very much a scaredy-cat :)

MsAprilVincent wrote: "Would you say this is okay for the weak-stomached? I read cozies because I cannot handle hard, graphic crime. I keep opening the book, then putting it down because I'm afraid it will be gory. I'm v..."

I am the same, I don't really like hard hitting stuff, this is not bad for that at all.

Amy Alice (amyalicejakob) Oh man. I've finished chapter 1 (all 59 pages!!) And I don't think I can go on any further. I don't normally read crime, but when I do, I tend to enjoy it as a novel experience. But I am not enjoying this at all! Everyone speaks like a sociopath. It's not believable in the slightest and it feels like a farce! Am I being too harsh?!

Nope Amy, you are not harsh, I think it’s a fair assessment

Tanya Willis Anderson (thesamplergirl) Melanie wrote: "I guess the cold setting is perfect for October, how are we all finding the book so far."

I'm still on the library queue for this!

Tanya Willis Anderson (thesamplergirl) Yeah - I'm feeling like I want to hit the REMOVE from wait list button can't yet ... not yet. lol

Keriann (kad123) Read the first chapter and have to say (I’m with the minority here) I’m really enjoying it, I love the setting and I feel there is a lot to be revealed!! However the chapter are too long!!

Candace | 53 comments Plodding along nicely here. I see the male chauvinism in many of the men that you all have spoken about which is unfortunate. But I do feel that the story is moving fairly easily and I’m curious to find out more about Alex’s past life. The chapter breakdowns are odd to me and the jumping from one character’s perspective to the next within it. I really do not like Mellberg and Lucas. I’m wondering if Alex is who the book is named after?

Deirdre Metcalf | 17 comments Hi All,
These chapters are SO Long! All in all I am intrigued by the mystery. I like the setting and the cold weather.
However I do agree with all of you regarding the chauvinism of some of the male characters.

Keriann (kad123) Did any one else find the relationship between Erica and Dan uncomfortable? I certainly am!

Candace | 53 comments Keriann- yes I did!!!! Was a little odd!