On the Southern Literary Trail discussion

General Bookishness > Buddy Read: The Clearing by Tim Gautreaux

Comments Showing 1-50 of 89 (89 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sara, "Ivy Rowe" (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 1078 comments Mod
Several of us have expressed an interest in reading this book, so I am setting up this thread for discussion. I have ordered a copy, but will not receive it until mid-October. If anyone begins before then, please feel free to post thoughts. I encourage the use of spoilers. Excited to see what each of us thinks of this book that has gotten such high marks from those who have already had the pleasure.

message 2: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

Diane Barnes | 3964 comments Mod
I read this about 3 years ago, so won't re-read, but I'd love to follow the discussion. It's a great book.

message 3: by LeAnne: (new)

LeAnne: GeezerMom | 1310 comments As a long time fan of Gautreaux and a south Louisiana local, I'll be happy to participate! I've read this twice over the years and once set up a full moon nighttime paddle for our book club on one of our bayous. This book makes you want to get out in the dark night and look for creepy stuff. Its also about the best story ever about sibling love.

message 4: by Sara, "Ivy Rowe" (new)

LeAnne wrote: "As a long time fan of Gautreaux and a south Louisiana local, I'll be happy to participate! I've read this twice over the years and once set up a full moon nighttime paddle for our book club on one ..."

Wonderful! What a fantastic idea to cruise the bayou. I am very excited about reading this after loving The Missing.

Diane wrote: "I read this about 3 years ago, so won't re-read, but I'd love to follow the discussion. It's a great book."

I hope you will chime in, Diane. Doesn't matter when you read it. I know you always have something worthwhile to add.

message 5: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 207 comments I would love to join in on this buddy read if I can make it work. I'll see how the month of October starts off for me!

message 6: by Sara, "Ivy Rowe" (new)

Please fit it in if you possibly can, Candi.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I had scheduled 'The Tall Woman' this month as my reading tribute to Kirk's favorites list, but instead will be honored and delighted to join you in this buddy read. I have the book and can start whenever you're ready.

message 8: by Icewineanne (new)

Icewineanne This sounds like an excellent read. Will try to get a copy & join in ;)

message 9: by Brina (new)

Brina I may join. I haven't read enough books from here this year and I was determined to read a book Kirk recommended before the year ended. My library should have it.

message 10: by Howard (last edited Oct 01, 2017 12:31PM) (new)

Howard | 398 comments I just finished "The Clearing," but I look forward to participating in the discussion.

message 11: by Sue (new)

Sue | 658 comments I only need to locate the book on my shelves and I will be ready to join in. This is going to be a busy reading month for sure.

Chandler, The Tall Woman is excellent. You have lots of great reading ahead.

message 12: by Sue (new)

Sue | 658 comments Well I just made my first search of my books and can't find The Clearing. I'm wondering now if somehow it didn't make the cut when I moved! May have to use the library if I can't find it.

message 13: by Sara, "Ivy Rowe" (new)

I have The Tall Woman on my reading list as well, Chandler, so maybe before the end of the year.

Sorry you can't find your copy, Sue. Very frustrating...been there. Hope you can get it at the library.

message 14: by Jan (new)

Jan Rice | 16 comments I've read The Clearing a long time ago; need to look it up and see just when. It's good, but I remember it as a little hard to penetrate. Will look forward to reading other people's response. It is very timely!

message 15: by Sue (new)

Sue | 658 comments I looked further and found the book! I hope to start in a few days.

message 16: by Brina (new)

Brina Sue, me too. I have another book to finish and then I'm going to start later this week. I will be offline for three days but will have plenty of time to read.

message 17: by Sara, "Ivy Rowe" (new)

We should be starting together. My copy came in and when I have finished the book I am currently reading, this will be next in line.

message 18: by Sue (new)

Sue | 658 comments Sounds good!!

message 19: by Sara, "Ivy Rowe" (new)

I have made a beginning. The first six chapters. This book had me at the first paragraph. The language is very powerful and I can feel the heaviness of the air and the atmosphere.

(view spoiler)

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I plan to join you soon. Loved the quote on your status update - it definitely the tone for this one.

message 21: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 207 comments I've read the first three chapters. I'm in for another great read, I can tell already. (view spoiler)

message 22: by Sue (new)

Sue | 658 comments I'm in the middle of a few books, but that seems to be the nature of my reading now. I hope to begin tonight or tomorrow.

message 23: by Sara, "Ivy Rowe" (new)

You nailed it, Candi. It does (view spoiler)

Chandler and Sue, you are going to be hooked, I think.

message 24: by Sue (new)

Sue | 658 comments I stopped on page 7 to go to bed and was already impressed by the quality of the prose.

message 25: by LeAnne: (new)

LeAnne: GeezerMom | 1310 comments So glad you guys are loving Gautreaux. He lived 20 miles from me until very recently, and I have lots of interesting little local details about his knowledge of trains and steamships. Great guy.

message 26: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new)

Laura | 1997 comments Mod
Hope to see him tomorrow at the Southern Festival of Books. I have not met him before. He's on a panel, "Mountain to Mountain: Appalachian Stories" with Ron Rash.

message 27: by Sara, "Ivy Rowe" (new)

Lucky girls. Laura, you might tell him that he has a brand new forever fan in me. :)

He is certainly impressive when he talks about the steamships and trains, LeAnne. I loved that aspect of The Missing, and I'm thrilled to find it figures into this novel as well.

message 28: by Sue (new)

Sue | 658 comments No wonder all the small details feel so real from the first sentence. That panel discussion should be excellent. Ah to be a fly on the wall.

message 29: by Sara, "Ivy Rowe" (new)

Wow. This book left me reeling. (view spoiler)

I gave it 5-stars and enjoyed it completely. Kirk knew a good book when he read one.

message 30: by Sue (new)

Sue | 658 comments I'm way behind here trying to finish another book for Sunday but I have a feeling I will catch up quickly from how you progressed, Sara.

message 31: by Sara, "Ivy Rowe" (new)

Once I got started, I couldn't put it down to do even important stuff. My husband is probably glad it is done. I was thinking about it when I went to bed last night and again as soon as I got up this morning. Anxious to here your thoughts, Sue.

message 32: by Sue (new)

Sue | 658 comments I read about 35 pages just before bed last night (actually more like 3 this morning). The train ride south is an amazing piece of writing, going back in time and history, just through travel. The writing is superb and I had the feeling I was there. Now I have a start of an idea what others have been talking about. I'm in awe of this prose...all of the ability with no apparent gimmicks. I'm so glad this little group exists and I'm finally reading this.

message 33: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new)

Yesterday at the Southern Festival of Books this was my favorite panel. Tim (bc his last name is too hard for me to spell) read from his new collection of short stories. He had the audience in stitches by reading the first five pages of Attitude Adjustment in the collection called Signals. If you get to take a look at this collection be sure to look that one up. Hilarious!

message 34: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 207 comments I'm at Chapter 16, a little over 60% completed. Wished I could have read more this weekend, but we have family in town. I agree that the writing is superb. I am really enjoying reading about these brothers and their relationship.

(view spoiler)

message 35: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 207 comments Laura, that sounds fantastic! I've never been to a book festival before. I would love to attend one someday :)

message 36: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new)

It's nerdy, but we enjoy it. It usually falls on our anniversary weekend. So it's books and dinner. It seems to work.

message 37: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 207 comments That would be the perfect anniversary for me, Laura - can't get much better than books and food :)

message 38: by LeAnne: (new)

LeAnne: GeezerMom | 1310 comments Fyi, Gautreaux's new book is now available essay audio loan from the library! I just downloaded it.

message 39: by Sara, "Ivy Rowe" (new)

I also think that sounds like a perfect way to celebrate. I'll be looking for his new book. Usually takes a while here. Our library is very small and not connected to any larger ones. Price of living in the country.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm over halfway through and find myself somewhat hypnotized. This guy writes incredible dialogue. And I can see and smell and taste and feel every single scene I'm reading.

message 41: by Sara, "Ivy Rowe" (new)

Exactly how I felt, Chandler. He describes the mosquitoes rising off the bodies of the men sawing the trees and I felt itchy all over.

message 42: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new)

Tom Mathews | 2549 comments Mod
Chandler wrote: "I'm over halfway through and find myself somewhat hypnotized. This guy writes incredible dialogue. And I can see and smell and taste and feel every single scene I'm reading."

It's been a while since I've read it but I seem to recall that there were some scenes that I would have no desire whatsoever to smell, taste and feel. Still, it was an awesome book that I really need to reread.

message 43: by Sue (new)

Sue | 658 comments I've added the new book to my list, though I do have his backlist to read too.

message 44: by Sue (new)

Sue | 658 comments Tom wrote: "Chandler wrote: "I'm over halfway through and find myself somewhat hypnotized. This guy writes incredible dialogue. And I can see and smell and taste and feel every single scene I'm reading."

It's..."

Have to agree, Tom, but I practically feel like I'm in the middle of it all while I'm reading. Very effective writing.

message 45: by LeAnne: (new)

LeAnne: GeezerMom | 1310 comments His older book The Missing is very good and set in New Orleans, on paddle wheelers, and upriver wilds.

message 46: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 207 comments Chandler wrote: "I'm over halfway through and find myself somewhat hypnotized. This guy writes incredible dialogue. And I can see and smell and taste and feel every single scene I'm reading."

Agree with you completely, Chandler. This definitely takes you right there to Randall's front porch, the saloon, and the mill itself. I feel like the fly on the wall. Besides the dialogue between Randall and Byron, I am very much enjoying that between Merville and the old priest.

message 47: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 207 comments LeAnne wrote: "His older book The Missing is very good and set in New Orleans, on paddle wheelers, and upriver wilds."

I know I'm going to have to read that one too, LeAnne. And anything else Gautreaux has written :)

message 48: by Sara, "Ivy Rowe" (new)

Yes, I loved The Missing. Two 5-star reads from this gentleman has put him on my "I'll read anything he writes" list.

message 49: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

Diane Barnes | 3964 comments Mod
I read this one in February, 2014, and still remember feeling every drop of sweat, every mosquito bite, the humidity, the mud during the rains, etc. One of my favorite phrases was "The many fanged geophraphy of the swamp", an apt description if ever there was one.

message 50: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 207 comments Sara wrote: "Yes, I loved The Missing. Two 5-star reads from this gentleman has put him on my "I'll read anything he writes" list."

It was your wonderful review that prompted me to add The Missing to my list, Sara :) I think we are about even as far as swelling each other's shelves ;0

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Serena (other topics)