J.R.R. Tolkien discussion

J.R.R. Tolkien
This topic is about J.R.R. Tolkien
Tolkien's Life & Times > Tolkien Biopic in the Offing?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael | 446 comments Mod
Here's a link to John D. Rateliff's blog (always worth a read for a Tolkeinista), focusing on the firmest possibility to date of a Tolkien biopic going into production. A prospect which fills me with a high degree of trepidation.

message 2: by Tara (last edited Sep 30, 2017 09:16PM) (new)

Tara  | 55 comments I have no faith in that being done right. And I hope if it is true, they don't try to hire Peter Jackson to direct. He butchered The Hobbit. Who do you think would be a good casting choice for Tolkien, both young and old?

message 3: by Erick (new)

Erick Carvalho (erickcarvalho) | 1 comments I agree with that Peter Jackson is not a good name for biography movie and i also agree that his hobbit version was not as good as the Lord of the rings trilogy. But at least in the Hobbit case i think it was not his fault to blame only....

message 4: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) | 36 comments I was going to say "how about Ian Carmichael for the older Professor?" But then I checked... he passed away in 2010. And now I'm stupidly disappointed, because I'll bet he would have been wonderful.

If Peter Jackson gets the job, I'll picket.

message 5: by Rafael (new)

Rafael da Silva (morfindel) | 38 comments James Cromwell could be him older, besides be american he is a good actor.

message 6: by Amalie (new)

Amalie  | 24 comments Older Tolkien - Gary Oldman. I think he'll be perfect.

I just watched the " Darkest Hour" trailer. If he could transform into a Winston Churchill, he can definatelybecome a convincing Tolkien.

I'm not sure how good Mr. Jackson will be to direct a biopic.. though.

message 7: by Michael (new)

Jackson's not in the frame as director, that position has gone to Finnish director Dome Karukoski.

Nicholas Hoult will pay the young Tolkien, and Lilly Collins his wife, Edith.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2017/08/31...

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt3361792/

message 8: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) | 36 comments Michael wrote: "Nicholas Hoult will pay the young Tolkien, and Lilly Collins his wife, Edith..."

Oh dear. That's unfortunate.

message 9: by Rafael (new)

Rafael da Silva (morfindel) | 38 comments Nicholas could be a good choice.

message 10: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) | 36 comments I know nothing about him - but he looks too pretty. I should shut up now.

message 11: by Tara (new)

Tara  | 55 comments I almost think that Ian McKellan would work for him in later life, but he is too well associated with the role of Gandalf that it couldn't possibly work.

message 12: by Anne (new)

Anne Gazzolo | 388 comments Mod
Tara wrote: "I almost think that Ian McKellan would work for him in later life, but he is too well associated with the role of Gandalf that it couldn't possibly work."

Or maybe that's why he would prefect for the role. What fun to have 'Gandalf' play Tolkien!

Namarie, God bless, Anne Marie :)

message 13: by Thomas (new)

Thomas | 4 comments Amalie wrote: "Older Tolkien - Gary Oldman. I think he'll be perfect.

I just watched the " Darkest Hour" trailer. If he could transform into a Winston Churchill, he can definatelybecome a convincing Tolkien.

I..."

Came here to say Oldman. He'd be great. Jim Broadbent too

message 14: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Lenarduzzi | 1 comments Below is a link to a webpage that details the latest on the J.R.R. Tolkien biopic entitled 'Tolkien'. I cannot wait for this!!

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/to...

message 15: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) | 36 comments So many geeky worlds colliding...

message 16: by Michael (new)

Since the immediately previous post, Tolkien has been released upon us. I haven't watched it myself, and possibly won't as I'm not usually taken with Hollywood's reimagining of my heroes' lives, however, I do wonder what others in the Group make of it.

message 17: by Michael (new)

Okay, ignore me - the Group's already been discussing it over here and I missed it!!

message 18: by John (new)

John Rosegrant | 51 comments The biopic has many historical inaccuracies but in my opinion does a pretty good job at capturing the emotional tone of Tolkien’s life.