The Evolution of Science Fiction discussion

Science Fiction in Other Media > Snow Crash, Ringworld and Lazarus to hit Amazon Prime

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marc-André (new)

Marc-André | 298 comments Can't say Amazon ain't ambitious. Two classics and one newbie. And it is hitting various subgenres of sci-fi.

There are many ways to drop the ball on these, but I'm curious to see what they do with them as I've read all of them and love them all. They are all quality works (although Lazarus, Vol. 1: Family is the weaker one).

fi.https://www.tor.com/2017/09/29/amazon...

message 2: by Jo (new)

Jo | 1092 comments It's amazing how fashionable sci-fi has become now. It can only be a good thing though, if they continue to make some of these series.

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 4086 comments Mod
I certainly marvel at the special effects now. I cut my teeth on B SF movies from the 50's when the 'special' effects were so primitive it wasn't unusual to see the wires.

message 4: by Ed (new)

Ed Erwin | 1907 comments Mod
And now we're going to get "Foundation" on Amazon Prime:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/isaac-asimovs...

Seeing how I never got around to Snow Crash or Ringworld, I probably won't get around to this one either. But it could be interesting to see whether they keep all the constant cigar smoking. ;)

I'm more interested in "The Good Place" season 2 finally coming to NetFlix Aug 28. (Arguably not SciFi, but there is an A.I. named Janet.)

message 5: by Papaphilly (new)

Papaphilly | 265 comments Jim wrote: "I certainly marvel at the special effects now. I cut my teeth on B SF movies from the 50's when the 'special' effects were so primitive it wasn't unusual to see the wires."

Unfortunately, the scripts were not as rubber as the suits. Nowadays, the scripts are rubber and the suits are great.

message 6: by Ed (new)

Ed Erwin | 1907 comments Mod
Has "Foundation" ever actually arrived on Prime?

message 7: by Peter (last edited Jan 24, 2021 02:19PM) (new)

Peter Tillman | 550 comments Whoa. Ringworld! Hope they do it justice! And stop there, as the sequels are (pretty much) dreck....

By ancient memory, and not everyone agrees. But the First is the BEST. I think that's the consensus.

message 8: by Papaphilly (new)

Papaphilly | 265 comments Ed wrote: "Has "Foundation" ever actually arrived on Prime?"

I have not seen it or heard about it yet.

message 9: by John (new)

John Ackerman | 12 comments Peter wrote: "Whoa. Ringworld! Hope they do it justice! And stop there, as the sequels are (pretty much) dreck....

By ancient memory, and not everyone agrees. But the First is the BEST. I think that's the conse..."

Absolutely. Ringworld will be difficult to replicate.