The Sword and Laser discussion

S&L and Open Road head to Loncon 3!

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (last edited Jul 02, 2014 11:57AM) (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1713 comments Mod
Hey guys! We're doing a collaborative project with Open Road, where we pull questions from you (the audience), send them off with Open Road to Loncon in August, and then get as many responses from amazing authors as we can!

Just to get an idea, here is a list of authors who'll be at the event:
http://www.loncon3.org/also_appearing...

Here's who we'll definitely be talking to:
Kate Elliot
Ian McDonald
Robin McKinley
Ian Macleod
Todd McCaffrey
Liz Williams
Simon Green

Please post your questions below, keep them pretty general (since we'll be asking the same questions to multiple authors) and then we'll create a video with their responses!

message 2: by Joanna Chaplin (new)

Joanna Chaplin | 1175 comments I'm curious how Todd J. McCaffrey feels about writing in his mother's world. But I bet everyone asks him about that. I should go back to Pern, now that I think about it.

message 3: by Rob (new)

Rob  (quintessential_defenestration) | 1035 comments What fiction would you recommend to readers that is outside if scifi or fantasy, to broaden their horizons? Any classics?any nonfiction?

message 4: by Sleep (new)

Sleep | 20 comments What tricks and tactics do you use to avoid over-used tropes and cliches?

message 5: by Alan (new)

Alan (coachmt) | 14 comments What does a typical writing day consist of for them?

message 6: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4203 comments We often ask authors for "the best piece of advice they ever got," or, "their suggestions for first-time authors."

I want to flip that. What is the worst bit of advice (on writing...or life...) that they got? l mean, we wouldn't want anybody to make anybody feel bad, but sometimes, you have to wonder what things that "everybody says" isn't really useful advice...

message 7: by Sleep (new)

Sleep | 20 comments terpkristin wrote: "We often ask authors for "the best piece of advice they ever got," or, "their suggestions for first-time authors."

I want to flip that. What is the worst bit of advice (on writing...or life...) th..."

Ooooh, that's a good one.

message 8: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1713 comments Mod
Love it, great questions so far!

message 9: by Casey (new)

Casey | 654 comments * What's the "one" book you've always intended to read, but just haven't yet?
* Is it difficult for you to remain objective when discussing books written by your peers?
* In five words or less, describe "good" writing.

message 10: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin | 355 comments Ask for a 6 word story

message 11: by Rob (new)

Rob  (quintessential_defenestration) | 1035 comments What book (if any) do you find yourself returning to read over and over again as the years go by?

message 12: by Casey (new)

Casey | 654 comments Describe your ideal writer's breakfast.

message 13: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 707 comments Who, in your opinion, is the most underrated author living today?

message 14: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4203 comments What book(s) is(are) currently on your nightstand or in your immediate ereader queue?

message 15: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2702 comments If you could fight one of your characters to the death in a duel, who would you choose and why?

message 16: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Tom Merritt (tommerritt) | 1158 comments Mod
Great stuff. Keep 'em coming!!

message 17: by Ty (new)

Ty Wilson (ShatterStar66) | 165 comments What is the best part of being a writer? And what is the worst part?

message 18: by Pumpkinstew (new)

Pumpkinstew | 28 comments What's the first line from a book or poem that comes to mind, and why do you think it's so memorable?

message 19: by Sleep (new)

Sleep | 20 comments Stewart wrote: "What's the first line from a book or poem that comes to mind, and why do you think it's so memorable?"

Another good question. For me, "The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed."

message 20: by David (new)

David | 67 comments How do you find new authors to read?

message 21: by Fredrik (new)

Fredrik (fredurix) | 221 comments What's the worst book/story idea you've had?

message 22: by Casey (new)

Casey | 654 comments * Assuming you put your pants on one leg at a time, which leg do you lead with?
* How many books do you read in an average month?
* Do you have a daily word count you like to hit? If so, what is it?
* Do you have a running list of story ideas, and if so, how many ideas have you corralled?