UK Book Club discussion

Comments, Questions & Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 299 (299 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Zoe (zobo77) | 532 comments Mod
This topic pretty much explains itself - any questions, comments, suggestions or anything else can be posted here!

message 2: by Nemo (new)

Nemo Thomas (nemo_thomas) | 4 comments Zoe, and everyone...you really must read this book...i am the pickiest reader ever and yet, i could not put this boys book down...it is INCREDIBLE...you really must read it and pass on what it gives...AMAZING...Gypsy Boy Gypsy Boy by Mikey Walsh

message 3: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

I just read your review of this book (including the synopsis), may have to check it out! :-)

message 4: by Nemo (new)

Nemo Thomas (nemo_thomas) | 4 comments you really must Zoe...its so moving, i felt changed for the better by the last page...

on another subhject...i LOVE this site...how incredible...you should be really proud to have made such a brilliant place for bookies...i am so happy to have found it...thank you

message 5: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

I only created this group, not the whole site, but I agree that goodreads is a really good site for book lovers! :D

message 6: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 15 comments Hello - can anyone help with a queastion please. I created an additional book shelf - didn't finish. These books are still shown on currently reading though. How do I get them to be only on the not finished shelf ?

message 7: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (26kathryn) | 50 comments Caroline, you have to make it an exclusive shelf. Go to your 'my books' page and click where it says edit bookshelves, then you'll be able to click on 'make exclusive' next to the shelf.

message 8: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 15 comments Thank you Kathryn - I'll do that.

message 9: by Marisa (new)

Marisa Atkinson (totesmarisa) Does the group have a recommendations thread? I want to put out a call for recommendations, but didn't know quite where to put it...

PaNdORa   (gökçe) (pandora-m) why dont we talk about authors's life that can help us remember him.It can be something funny or interesting about authors which we have never been aware of the other side of their life

message 11: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

If anyone wants to create a topic or thread that they want to discuss then that's fine :) If you need help working out how to, then post here and someone will reply to you asap :)

message 12: by W (last edited Oct 14, 2010 12:29PM) (new)

W Watson | 1 comments I was researching the Greenock Blitz recently since I'm from Greenock and I came across a book called GREENOCK REVISITED. The surprising thing about it was that it reports among other things, that Greenock became the busiest port in the whole world during World War II, as well as a billiting base for exiled governments like France and Czechozlovakia. Survivors from the Athenia, the first ship sunk in the war, disembarked in Greenock. Churchill made his dash to Canada with the bank of England's treasure from here, and even a German Luftwaffe pilot's account of the raid overhead etc etc. This wee local history book, has loads of these little gem revelations. But it also has photographs of the blitzed buildings and beside them, exact modern day shots, so you're able to tell where the war time locations would be today. Anyway, there's also an online slide show of these scenes which is very entertaining. The reviews convinced me to buy and it was a brilliant read. So if you're interested in the Second World War, and more importantly, in Greenock's involvemnt then give this a go. Amazing how little titles like this can prove such good reads. www.greenockrevisited.co.uk

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3625 comments Anyone fancy a 'meet up'? I am off to my second Readitswapit meet up at the Book Barn near Bristol/Bath on Saturday. It is a great place to visit - all books in the main warehouse are just £1 each and there is a coffee shop too.

http://www.bookbarninternational.co.uk/

message 14: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments Sounds great Lynne, I wish I could come, it's pretty near to me but instead I'll be taking the kids to ballet and visiting the grandparents!

message 15: by Jo (new)

Jo That sounds like a great place! Too far away for me though. Have a great time!

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3625 comments Em we could always choose another day for a meet up!

message 17: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments Absolutely! How was it today - what did you get?

message 18: by Lynne - The Book Squirrel (last edited Dec 17, 2010 12:36PM) (new)

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3625 comments I got 18 books including the one in the lucky dip at our lunch.

Here's my list!

The Laments by George Hagen - lucky dip book
Doctor in the House, Doctor in Love, Doctor in Clover, Doctor on Toast, Doctor at Large, Doctor at Sea, Doctor and Son, The Captain's Table, Nuts in May all by Richard Gordon.
Selected Tales by DH Lawrence
Mine by Robert R McCammon
Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy
Cautionary Tales by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro
The Poseidon Adventure by Paul Gallico
Cry of the Panther by Adam Armstrong
The Night Rider by Tom Ingram
Guests by Bentley Little

message 19: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments Good work!

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3625 comments Yes not a bad haul really - just one problem - can't find any shelve space in my house and when am I going to read them all along with the other 930 odd I have here at home!!

message 21: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3456 comments Mod
Lynne wrote: "Yes not a bad haul really - just one problem - can't find any shelve space in my house and when am I going to read them all along with the other 930 odd I have here at home!!"

Any room in the fridge? There's shelves in there ;)

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3625 comments No much room in there either - did the shopping yesterday! Lol! I am on the lookout for a new bookcase once my son gets rid of the unit in one of my bedrooms later this month. In the meantime I shall just have to keep reading!

message 23: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments I'd love it if you had books in the fridge Lynne! I've got piles under my bed, beside my bed (annoying my husband) on top of the wardrobe and in the airing cupboard!

message 24: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3456 comments Mod
Em wrote: "I'd love it if you had books in the fridge Lynne! I've got piles under my bed, beside my bed (annoying my husband) on top of the wardrobe and in the airing cupboard!"

The airing cupboard - what a fantastic idea!

message 25: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2734 comments Em wrote: "I'd love it if you had books in the fridge Lynne! I've got piles under my bed, beside my bed (annoying my husband) on top of the wardrobe and in the airing cupboard!"

Does storing them in the airing cupboard keep them fresh? ;0)

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3625 comments MMMmmm airing cupboard - now there's an idea! lol!

message 27: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments Glad you all appreciate my storage solutions!

My husband has unexpectely given my a Kindle (it's not even for Christmas - what a star!) Maybe this will help manage the tide of new books arriving in our house - a bit at least.

message 28: by Nick 2E0NAQ (new)

Nick 2E0NAQ (nick196742) | 694 comments Em wrote: "Glad you all appreciate my storage solutions!

My husband has unexpectely given my a Kindle (it's not even for Christmas - what a star!) Maybe this will help manage the tide of new books arrivin..."

LOL! Em No it means you can get more books that he won't know about ;)

message 29: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments Shhh Nick! He just read that over my shoulder!!

message 30: by Nick 2E0NAQ (new)

Nick 2E0NAQ (nick196742) | 694 comments Em wrote: "Shhh Nick! He just read that over my shoulder!!"

oops! let him he's miss understood what I ment. I'll back you up shhh! ;-)

message 31: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3456 comments Mod
Em wrote: "Shhh Nick! He just read that over my shoulder!!"

Teehee! My other half is often doing that - curious to know why I'm chuckling to myself over a BOOK site? Well he's just as bad blogging & twittering away....

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3625 comments My friend came today and spotted all my new books! Can't keep anything quiet! She didn't believe that they had been there all the time!

message 33: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments Hehehe! Well, it was quite a stash Lynne!

My husband doesn't usually notice the books - I borrow loads from friends, the library and the ones from charity shop look like they've been in the house for years (they don't count). I admit, I don't always draw attention to the new clothes though! (I remove the labels and stick them straight in the wardrobe!)

message 34: by Nick 2E0NAQ (last edited Nov 28, 2010 03:54AM) (new)

Nick 2E0NAQ (nick196742) | 694 comments i had to buy two books out of tescos well one was for mum for christmas haha!(they were buy two for half the prize) She saw them and said "OH! nick its getting near christmas whatg if someone got u those?" I just laugh my head off as i went to pay fqor them. i bet people thought i was out of a funny far as i was was with my walking frame. lol who cares!

message 35: by Lynne - The Book Squirrel (last edited Dec 17, 2010 12:38PM) (new)

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3625 comments Oh Em I always did that! Now I am on my own I don't have to, its not go the same thrill though!!

message 36: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments Yeah, don't know why I'm shy about it - it is MY money after all and he always notices when I wear it anyway! "Is that new?" Darn it, caught in the act!

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3625 comments It must be a Woman Thing!

message 38: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3456 comments Mod
Em wrote: "Yeah, don't know why I'm shy about it - it is MY money after all and he always notices when I wear it anyway! "Is that new?" Darn it, caught in the act!"

I'm not a big shopper (honest!), but I always feel guilty about buying new clothes - and I really shouldn't, especially since I noticed recently that my other half actually has MORE rail space in the wardrobe than me!

message 39: by Karen (last edited Jan 11, 2011 08:42AM) (new)

Karen | 54 comments Has anyone read the new Scarlett Thomas?

Our Tragic Universe

I picked up The End of Mr. Y last spring when I was in London and loved it!

message 40: by Rob (new)

Rob Twinem (runner56) | 38 comments Question on goodreads?
Could someone tell me how to delete my books in batch form? ie all together. For some reason when I first joined some months ago I listed all these books on my shelves and most I have not read...or do not own! now don't ask why I did this?? I want to remove them all (or nearly all) and start again and list all my proper books...like I have on librarything...thanks for help

message 41: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments I haven't tried it Trev but when I look under "my books" at the top there's an option to batch edit and when I clicked on it, removing books was an option. May be worth a try?!

message 42: by Rob (new)

Rob Twinem (runner56) | 38 comments I managed to do one by one..the batch edit/delete did not seem to work...I can now add my own proper library....not sure why I added those books at the start :))

message 43: by Susan (last edited Jan 26, 2011 07:09PM) (new)

Susan I know that I'm probably being incredibly 'thick', but where do I find current, and upcoming group reads....can't seem to find them!!!

message 44: by Em (last edited Jan 28, 2011 03:33AM) (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments Hi Susan, no you're not being "thick" - as if!!

No, we had a monthly group read happening up until December 2010 whereby we nominated and voted on a book to read as a group but then since we're voting on the genre challenge each month this year we've not been chosing a single book for group read.

If this is something that is missed and there is a demand then I think we could look at setting one up again either within the context of the "genre of the month challenge" or independently of it.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

message 46: by Susan (new)

Susan Em wrote: "Hi Susan, no you're not being "thick" - as if!!

No, we had a monthly group read happening up until December 2010 whereby we nominated and voted on a book to read as a group but then since we'r..."

Thank you. I think I may have joined just after this, so hadn't realised.
To be honest I really like how you do the genre challenge.
Having only one or two choices can be limiting. I've noticed in other groups, that I have often already read the book, or perhaps really don't want to read it!
With picking a genre, it gives room for personal choice, but also points me in new and different reading directions.
Can't wait to see the genre for February!

message 47: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments That's what we thought! Gives scope for discussion and recommendations to be made but not too limiting. Glad you like the challenge.

message 48: by Gill (new)

Gill (lockwdg) | 99 comments What is the genre for February?

message 49: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3456 comments Mod
Gill wrote: "What is the genre for February?"

Hi Gill - after a tie, the deciding vote was cast and February's genre is: Crime/detective - could be fiction or non-fiction, your choice.

Enjoy - if that's the right word....

message 50: by Gill (new)

Gill (lockwdg) | 99 comments Thanks Liz - I'm happy with that.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6