Harry Potter discussion

Personal Preferences > unforgivable curse

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shirin (new)

Shirin (shirin2009) | 245 comments which of the unforgivable curses do u prefer to test on on someone that u hate?
think about the most disgusting person that u know in your life and answer this question.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 246 comments I'd say the Imperius Curse. Somehow, the idea of killing someone or making them writh in pain is not that appealing to me. :D

message 3: by Shirin (new)

Shirin (shirin2009) | 245 comments good idea!!!!!let me see....if i was able to test the Imperiuse curse on my brother...the iwould make him to clean my room every day!!!!

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Oh I don't know Rachel. I think I could use an unforgivable curse on my ex-husband. lol

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 246 comments To each his/her own. :)

I have several friends who would kill to be able to use an Unforgivable. I have such peaceful, non-violent friends. :D

message 6: by RinaKat (new)

RinaKat | 480 comments I go with the Imperius curse. IMPERIO!

message 7: by Shirin (new)

Shirin (shirin2009) | 245 comments ohhhhhhhhhh!!! looney, what have u done???? now i have to everything u want!!!

message 8: by RinaKat (new)

RinaKat | 480 comments hee hee!

message 9: by London (new)

London | 273 comments imperius

message 10: by Haley (new)

Haley (hegefeld97) none, i cant believe harry used them!!

message 11: by RinaKat (new)

RinaKat | 480 comments no kidding!! at least one time he used Imperius to get to a horcrux, right? it is better that then to use imperius to make them do your dirty work.

message 12: by Haley (new)

Haley (hegefeld97) yeah but still i always thought he was higher than voldemort but by doing an uc he seemed to stoop a little farther to voldemorts level, remember mrs. weasley in the 7th book with bellatrix!!

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 246 comments It's great to see a different point of view on that, Haley. Most people love the fact that Molly killed Bella, and completely support Harry using the Imperius Curse. Thanks for a new point of view!

message 14: by Haley (new)

Haley (hegefeld97) yeah well i just felt like that by doing that he sinking lower

message 15: by RinaKat (new)

RinaKat | 480 comments I must have accidently skipped a part. Molly Weasley KILLED Bellatrix?

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 246 comments "Not my daughter, you b****!" This is what Molly said right before she did. It's a pretty popular line.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Harry using unforgiveable curses was shown so that you realized Harry wasn't perfect and struggled with right and wrong like the rest of us. Other than the imperious curse in Gringotts while breaking in, he only used unforgivables when angry and fighting.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 246 comments *applause for Briansgirl*

I couldn't think of how to say that. You said my thoughts exactly. :D That was very well put.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Thank you Rachel but I think I read that in a JKR interview once somewhere. Personally I couldn't use the killing curse but the cruciatous curse there are a few times I'd love to have paid back my ex in kind for hurting me. Like Harry, when angry and fighting, it would be a temptation hard to avoid using if available.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 246 comments That's a good point.

I still don't know if I would be able to use the Cruciatus Curse on someone. It says that to do it right, you have to want to cause the person pain, and I don't know if I'm capable of that.

Just curious, have you read Gone? It deals a bit with this.

message 21: by RinaKat (new)

RinaKat | 480 comments I'd probably use that curse-in a time of need. or when i am really, really furious.

message 22: by Novin, whose favortie character is Sirius Black. (new)

Novin | 575 comments Mod
Shirin wrote: "good idea!!!!!let me see....if i was able to test the Imperiuse curse on my brother...the iwould make him to clean my room every day!!!!"

Poor Shaahin...how can you??? :D

message 23: by Brenda (last edited Aug 21, 2009 04:02PM) (new)

Brenda (brlemon) This is along the same philosophical question a college professor once asked the class..."if you could kill someone by repeating their name three times...would you?" He went on to talk about all the horrible people in the world..Hitler, Stalin..Pol Pot....serial killers...mass murderers...rapist...child abusers.... ect. But then he pointed out "how can you be so sure that they were so guilty that you had to kill them while they were still alive (and what would happen if there were others with the same name - were they just collateral casualties?) and what criteria would you use to decide when to use the power".

Interesting discussion.

As for Weasley, the book never says if she intended to kill Lestrange or not...it just says she was very angry and her curse hit Lestrange perfectly on her heart. As for Harry using the unforgivable curses, the first time he tried to use the Cruciatus curse, it didn't work because he really didn't want to cause someone pain which I thought showed a lot about his character. As for using the Imperiuse curse, I felt this was a little justified and I can see Harry thinking the same as it was for the greater good and no one was seriously hurt by him using it. In a way, it's WHAT you do to the person under Imperiuse curse that makes the difference between it being really bad or not.

message 24: by Sarah ∞ (new)

Sarah ∞ (stargalgirl) | 559 comments I would do Avada Kadavra on Lestrange in the book, but in real life idk!

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 246 comments Brenda wrote: "This is along the same philosophical question a college professor once asked the class..."if you could kill someone by repeating their name three times...would you?" He went on to talk about all t..."

What about when Harry Crucio-ed the Death Eater for spitting at McGonnagal?

message 26: by Sarah ∞ (new)

Sarah ∞ (stargalgirl) | 559 comments Harry did tht!?!?!?!?

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Yeah, in book seven in the Ravenclaw common room. That was the only time he used an unforgivable curse when I didn't think it could be justified.

message 28: by Sarah ∞ (new)

Sarah ∞ (stargalgirl) | 559 comments Oh yeah! Now I remember! When the were looking for the crown! Ah-Ha!

message 29: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (brlemon) But like someone else pointed out - Harry was not by any means completely perfect. You have to remember the person he used the curse upon - Amycus, the Death Eater who Harry had earlier learned was torturing students and making them practice that very same curse upon each other. And even then, Harry did not prolong the torture - rather he used it to cause him to fall into a bookshelf so he and McGonagall could escape. Was it justified? I am not completely sure but it is sorta of like an "eye for an eye".

You also have to remember that at this time - there were no rules and the use of the unforgivable curses where being done right and left by everyone (willingly or not). Harry did not care about the retribution of what would happen if he cast the curse - he was more concerned about what would happen if he failed to defeat Voldemort.

message 30: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (brlemon) Oh, and one more point...I don't think it was the fact that Harry hated Amycus, or what he had done, anymore or less than Lestrange but that it was a culmination of everything that had happened before....kinda like the straw that broke the camel's back that finally caused Harry to snape and use the curse.

At that point, I too would be boiling with anger at any Death Eater I met - I too would want to cause them pain (not kill but make them "feel" what they have done). I challenge anyone to admit they honestly wouldn't have felt the same way.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I think you missed the point Brenda. With Amycus, there was no reason for harry to use an unforgiveable curse. He could have just as easily stunned him instead. Or used the bodybind curse. Neville had reasons to want to hurt Amycus, but Harry didn't. Ms Rowling had Harry use these on occassion to prove Harry wasn't perfect, but later she didn't have him use them for a reason. Harry could have used the killing curse on Voldemort but didn't and wouldn't. He was a better person who didn't need to use unforgivable curses. She said all of this in an interview once.

message 32: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (brlemon) I don't think I did miss the point. I too said that it was to show Harry wasn't perfect. (You might want to re-read my posts). I also believe Harry acted in blind anger and attacked Amycus not just because of him spitting on McGonagall but because of a culmination of everything that he happened before. It was a heat of the moment thing. It was in the middle of a huge battle when Harry still didn't know everything he needed to know to ultimately cause Voldemort's downfall. Why didn't he use an unforgivable curse against Voldemort? I don't really know. Maybe it was because at that point - he knew there were no more horcruxes and he knew death so he did not fear it as he did before. Maybe it was because by that time - he understood the power of the Elder wand - or maybe he just decided to go with a curse that he had used once before against Voldemort with a positive outcome.

Here is a discussion about the same thing on another fan site. http://www.leakylounge.com/Harry-Prof...

message 33: by Shirin (new)

Shirin (shirin2009) | 245 comments Novin wrote: "Shirin wrote: "good idea!!!!!let me see....if i was able to test the Imperiuse curse on my brother...the iwould make him to clean my room every day!!!!"

Poor Shaahin...how can you??? :D"

my dear dear Novin.if u had spent 11 years with shahin....

message 34: by Shirin (new)

Shirin (shirin2009) | 245 comments well,i'm agree with u Brenda.Harry maybe is a hero and a legend but he surly isn't completly perfect.none of the man kind is a perfect person.that's impossible.

message 35: by Sarah ∞ (new)

Sarah ∞ (stargalgirl) | 559 comments Good point

message 36: by Shirin (new)

Shirin (shirin2009) | 245 comments thanks.now that we talking about perfect persons,i want to ask u a question:what do think about a perfect person?who never does a wrong thing?i myself hate this kind of person.cause i think they're so boring!!!

message 37: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (brlemon) To me...a person who is too perfect and never does anything wrong is not someone to be trusted.....everyone has a dark side....the ones to watch out for are the ones who hide it.

message 38: by Pandy, "It unscrews the other way." (new)

Pandy | 1575 comments Mod
Very true.

message 39: by Shirin (new)

Shirin (shirin2009) | 245 comments yeah.great idea Brenda!and u guys have heard about Yin and Yang,right?no one is totally bad and no one is totally perfect.it's one of my fav theories.

message 40: by Sarah ∞ (new)

Sarah ∞ (stargalgirl) | 559 comments true tht

message 41: by RinaKat (new)

RinaKat | 480 comments I painted my toes yin and yang!! one side is white, white, black, white, white, and the other side the other way around!

message 42: by Shirin (new)

Shirin (shirin2009) | 245 comments wow!so intresting.

message 43: by Sarah ∞ (new)

Sarah ∞ (stargalgirl) | 559 comments lol it is.........

message 44: by RinaKat (new)

RinaKat | 480 comments I like it. My fingers are red with a black stripe in the middle of each finger. It is cool.

message 45: by Sarah ∞ (new)

Sarah ∞ (stargalgirl) | 559 comments awesome Looney............

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm sorry, there is one person that I really dislike, and I would choose to do an imperious curse. I would never so low and kill someone or make them in pain.

message 47: by Mmh (new)

Mmh | 2 comments I Think it's very subjective what you see as a perfect person... Because if someone claimed to be perfect - many of us would say that something's wrong with that person - is that person still perfect?? Not in my opinion, but if you find yourself to be perfect, you can make as many - or few - mistakes as you want, there will always be someone out there who would've made another choice, looked different or just generally have another opinion than you - so you can only try to be perfect in your own eyes, and somewhere out there hopefully agrees with you :D
This is true when it comes to Harry using the spell ... Not everyone agrees with his decision :)

message 48: by Harry (new)

Harry (har1) | 11 comments (view spoiler)
Crucio!