What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED!: fantasy novel set in a "haunted" mall [s]

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6981 comments Mod
I read this book in the late 80's or possible the early to mid-90's. Its an adult book.

Someone builds a mall at the site of an intersection with Faery. As a result the odd fae is popping through. I remember a few scenes from it. One is basically a retelling of the Cobble and Elves, only its an Hispanic woman who's boss is trying to come up with a reason to fire her (the woman organized the workers in the stores owned by this lady into a union and forced her to start paying them at least a semi-decent wage) The Hispanic woman has a child with some kind of illness and she needs to get off work on time in order to make it home in time to get him to his appointment at either a free or sliding scale clinic, but the boss hands her a big stack of stuff that "has" to be repaired that night or she will finally have the excuse to fire the worker. The woman looks at it all (one is a beaded dress where she'll have to reattach a lot of beads, I think) and decides to heck with it, there's no way she'll get it done, even if she pulls an all nighter. Its only when the woman is almost all the way home that she realizes that she's left her uneaten lunch sandwich and a thermos of milk sitting on the counter next to the pile of sewing. Anyway, the next morning when she gets to work the boss is P.O.-ed because everything has been repaired so well that you can't even tell it was ever damaged. The sewing machine is still smoking from its use, and there are a few scraps of silk from handkerchiefs or something that the wee fold have taken and turned into basketball/skateboarding outfits. Another scene has the owner of the mall meeting the head of a Japanese consortium that is debating buying the mall, and while they are feeding them (side note on THAT below) and while everyone is eating a couple of the wee fae come bouncing across the table playing basketball with cherries, which one then slam dunks into his mouth--whole. The Japanese chairman tells one of the others with him that they'll just have to arrange for a Shinto priest to come out and exorcise the mall.

Anyway, there is some kind of battle brewing between the Dark and Light Courts of Faery, and its to take place there at the Mall (I think) I believe there is also a dragon that wanders through occassionally.

That's all I remember about the book except for the side bar I referred to earlier. The present owner of the mall has decided that he's going to have a sushi chef flown in from Hawaii to prepare Blowfish for the meeting. The translator that works for him tells him to just serve steak, since that's what they will really want, since they can get sushi at home. The guy refuses to listen to his advisor and goes ahead with the sushi which the Japanese businessman refuses to eat, because he's not sure he can trust the unknown chef to have prepared the blowfish correctly (its highly poisonous if not prepared right.)

My rant on this is--why the HECK do people think that if you are having company from another country they will want to have you go to the trouble of fixing THEIR native dishes? I've traveled a lot all over the world (Dad was career Navy) and I've NEVER tried to track down a Mickey Dee's when in, say France or Italy or Greece or. . . Ok, maybe when I was in England, because, lets face it, fish and chips gets old after you've had them for the 4th or 5th meal in a row. :o) Most people travel to other countries--business or pleasure--and want to try out the food of where they are visiting. But you always have these idiots who don't believe that, and try to come up with "home" food for the visitors. Unless you are really lucky and know what you are doing, the food is NOT really like it is wherever the visitor is from.

Sigh, ok, sorry, rant over. And now, we return you to the question about books. :o)

anyway, anyone have any ideas on this?

message 2: by Leela4 (new)

Leela4 | 117 comments I hope someone figures out what book this is, as I'd like to read it. It sounds like a Tom Holt sort of thing.

I quite agree with you on the food issue. And I can *tell* you haven't eaten at McDonald's in continental Europe: Due to food purity laws the food at familiar fast food chains is significantly different. If you have a picky child, avoid!--because it's not going to be what he expects and that will *really* throw him.

message 3: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 57 comments Hi, Ann!

Methinks I found it!

Mall Purchase Night
Rick Cook
http://www.amazon.com/Mall-Purchase-N...

message 4: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Michelle--ok, the cover doesn't look familiar, but the STORY seems right. Now off to order it and see if it really IS the book I'm looking for. But right now, I'm fairly sure it is from that description.

Thanks.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Ann, When you've received the book, please return and post a message and let us know for sure. Thanks!

message 6: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

The book arrived today--and it IS the one I wanted. The cover is different, so I guess they changed it either before I read it or after.

At any rate--this one is solved. Thanks all

message 7: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 57 comments Yay!

Was it good this time around? Would you recommend it?

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Thanks for letting us know Ann. I'm glad you found it. I'll change the topic title and folder for you. Thanks also to Michelle.

message 9: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

yes, its just as good as I remembered. And i would definately recommend it.

message 10: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 57 comments Thanks!