UK Book Club discussion

Your Reading Experience > ReadItSwapIt

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Zoe (zobo77) | 532 comments Mod
A lot of people I've spoken to are interested in swapping books but don't know how or don't know which sites are best. I signed up to ReadItSwapIt about a year ago and, although I have looked at other sites, have stuck with this one. There are lots of improvements they could make, but it's still a good site which I would recommend to other people.

When you get 5* ratings from different users you get rating s (similar to ebay), at the moment I'm a Super Swapper, meaning I've got at least 50 5* ratings.

Does anyone else use readitswapit regularly or in the past? What rating are you on or working towards? How long did it take you to get to that rating?

message 2: by Jo (new)

Jo I only signed up to it this week. I think its a great idea. Im working on getting my first 3 so that i can make more swaps. So far i have posted 4 books so once they have cleared i should make my goal

message 3: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Cool, glad I helped with the goal of swapping 3 books! :-)

message 4: by Jo (new)

Jo Lol yeah thanks :) Has it arrived yet?

message 5: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

The postman came literally 1 minute ago, just about to go on ReadItSwapIt and say it has.

message 6: by Jo (new)

Jo Lol great! Hope you enjoy the book :)

Jirinka (sony08) (sony08) I have become a super swapper about a month ago and now have 53 swaps - just had my first dissapointment, but that's life...
I love the site and go on the forums a lot too. My wishlist and TBR has grown so much since joining...

message 8: by Jo (new)

Jo I recently became a super swapper too!

message 9: by Anne (new)

Anne | 1 comments I've been a RISI member since time immemorial - done 364 swaps, all 5 star. Only had 2 go pear-shaped in all that time, and both members now suspended. The forums are wonderful - made some lifelong friends (we have regular meet-ups too) and you'll get some brilliant book recommendations. If you haven't looked before give it a try - you too could have 800 unread books like me! It's www.readitswapit.co.uk ...

message 10: by Terri (new)

Terri | 31 comments I'm a new book addict - I just love the smell of them! Do the books on these sites generally come in good condition? I've had some bad experiences with ebay!

message 11: by Jo (new)

Jo They say next to them what condition they are in. If you get a bad one then you can rate them down. Usually they are as they say though.

message 12: by Christa (new)

Christa Eker (exploringtheturkishkitchen) I loooooove readitswapit ! .... i swear i should be paid a salary becasue im trying to get EVERYONE i know to sign up - unfortunatly however it appears im the only one with a book addiction ! ......i rate the site high high high ! CK x

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3620 comments I love readitswap it and have only had one person not send their book. They got suspended for it so the site monitors well.

I have a shelf on here for books I have got from a swap.

message 14: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) I am also a member of this wonderful site and I am known as Nutty_mum_303 if anyone wants to look at my books x

message 15: by ✿ Deni (new)

✿ Deni (denidax) I am also a member, I joined at about the same time I joined here, my nickname there is Denidax.

I've had only 9 swaps so far and all of them were good experiences!... I think it's a great site!

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3620 comments I am going to The Book Barn near Bristol meet up with Readitswapit members on 19th June. I am looking forward to meeting them and looking round the Book Barn too as I have never been.

message 17: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3398 comments Mod
Is it the Book Barn near Shepton Mallet? We used to go there sometimes on wet Sunday afternoons. It's big, but hard to navigate - books are rather mixed up, but that makes it a bit like an Aladin's cave - you don't quite know what you're going to find!

message 18: by Donna (new)

Donna (electrogirl68) | 33 comments I haven't used it recently but have 25 completed swaps. I found that when i requested a book, no-one wanted any of mine and vice versa. You need quite a big list of books in your inventory to make it successful. But maybe I'll give it another go.

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3620 comments Liz wrote: "Is it the Book Barn near Shepton Mallet? We used to go there sometimes on wet Sunday afternoons. It's big, but hard to navigate - books are rather mixed up, but that makes it a bit like an Aladin..."

Yes thinks so on the way to Bristol. Its had a revamp now if you look at the website, all new shelves and what not, looks great and I can't wait. Apparently most of the books are £1 each most of June.

message 20: by Jo (new)

Jo Donna wrote: "I haven't used it recently but have 25 completed swaps. I found that when i requested a book, no-one wanted any of mine and vice versa. You need quite a big list of books in your inventory to mak..."

That's the problem i am having. It's hard to find someone that has something you want and wants something of yours when you have a small list. I have about 5 books on my list at the moment.

message 21: by Kimberley (new)

Kimberley (Trillianne) | 59 comments Oh I think a trip to Bristol is in my future, I never heard of Book Barn

message 22: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Pilgrim (oldgeezer) | 239 comments Just a reminder not to spend all your pennies! Remember Winchester on The 25th and 26th of June and Frome on the 11th July, there will be several authors doing signings at both of these, including little old me! My publisher informs me my new one will be out for Frome as well.
All the best Paul Rix [oldgeezer:]

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3620 comments Had a great time at the Book Barn and only bought 11 books! It was great to meet everyone too.

message 24: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 265 comments BookBarn looks interesting I've just been on their website and I'm pleased to see you can order that way from them. I'm after quite a few books, some I can't get from amazon or the local UBS so I may be lucky here.

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3620 comments All the books at the on the book barn shelves are only £1 each, the internet book prices aren't in the sale though. All the ones I got were hardback books, some were to replace paperback 'keepers'.

message 26: by Dani (new)

Dani C (pentopaperreads) | 117 comments Hello, my name is Dani and I am a ReaditSwapit addict! :P
I've been on the site just under a year and although I've not done too many swaps, I am always on the forums and have now been to 2 meet ups with a third coming up in September. Everyone on the forums there are so friendly, and I'm proud to call them my friends!!

message 27: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 4 comments I'm starting to panic, haven't been able to access the site today...hope the server move has gone well.

message 28: by Dani (new)

Dani C (pentopaperreads) | 117 comments I'm on RISI now... can you get on now? :)

message 29: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 4 comments No, I've still got the message about the servers :(

message 30: by Dani (new)

Dani C (pentopaperreads) | 117 comments How confusing =S I'm online at the moment :(
Perhaps you'll be able to get online in an hour or so... ?

message 31: by Dani (new)

Dani C (pentopaperreads) | 117 comments Ellie wrote: "No, I've still got the message about the servers :("

"As I said before, if you get a message saying that you're still on the old servers please just try again in a couple of hours. If you're still getting the message tomorrow (Monday 9th) please email support@readitswapit.co.uk."

That was in the forums about the server changes. Hope that helps you get back online Ellie! xx

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

i did see this site when i was looking at a UK yahoo news site and i did have it up for a little bit. i was thinking about joining but then i chickened out. but that because im just find using the old ways difficult sometimes.

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3620 comments Jason wrote: "i did see this site when i was looking at a UK yahoo news site and i did have it up for a little bit. i was thinking about joining but then i chickened out. but that because im just find using the ..."

I have sent and recieved 8 books in the last 10 days through readitswap. I have done about 100 swaps with only two books I requested never showed up. The admin team suspended the accounts of the two people who didn't send their books. I look on RISI for bookclub reads as I don't always want to buy the book, this way if you don't like it you can put it back on and swap again.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Lynne - The Book Squirrel wrote:I have sent and recieved 8 books in the last 10 days through readitswap. I have done about 100 swaps with only two books I requested never showed up. The admin team suspended the accounts of the two people who didn't send their books. I look on RISI for bookclub reads as I don't always want to buy the book, this way if you don't like it you can put it back on and swap again.

it certainly seems that they dont tolerate any type of problem by the sounds of it. i will have to give it a go.

message 35: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Im on RISI and have to admit its a tad addictive......in fact sat waiting for the postman now lol

message 36: by Abi (new)

Abi (abi_b) I joined on Saturday and already have a large stack of books to take to the post office. I can't wait until some start coming through my door!!

message 37: by Jane (new)

Jane (bookworm40) | 36 comments Love readitswapit, great site.... Very few disappointments .. Check out my list under bookworm40, always after a good swap.

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3620 comments I have found loads of swaps on RISI and been to several meet ups at the Book Barn. I am caringcarer on RISI if you want to look at my books.

message 39: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Ive done over 50 swaps n havnt had a bad experience yet, hope i havnt jinxed it now! Im kelly00 on there if u wanna look.

message 40: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3398 comments Mod
I haven't done Read it Swap it, but I love Book Mooch - I just received Cloud Atlas this morning! I love getting a parcel, especially when it's a book I've been wanting for ages and it didn't cost me a penny :0)