Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Goodreads Tips, etc. > Goodreads audio book status feedback poll

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (last edited Aug 06, 2009 05:03AM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14286 comments The Goodreads librarians have an active poll on how we might want to have status update options for audio books. See below if you didn't get word of the poll and are interested. I assume I got the poll notice in email because I have a few audio book shelves.

Message from Sara:Sara wants you to vote on the poll:
The Goodreads Librarians are wondering how we would like to handle "pagination" of audiobooks.

So, if you had your way, how would the length of an audiobook be measured by goodreads? (For status updates, record-keeping, etc. purposes.)

Answers:

Number of discs
Number of chapters
Number of hours
Number of minutes
Number of equivalent pages
Other (please comment in the corresponding thread)

See who else voted and get more info:
http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/20...

message 2: by Gail/Ladyvolz (new)

Gail/Ladyvolz Bowman (ladyvolz) | 343 comments Ann, I read this and then read people's reasoning for how they wanted to designate audio books. How do you know the number of minutes/hours you have listened? I find this perplexing as I just listen on my way to and from work, shopping, etc. I could not tell you how much time I had spent listening at any one time in a book. I think people must use the Jan O'Cat method of math...... all this dividing and multiplying was a little too hard for me. That being said, there were certainly very interesting responses. Who would have thought it would be so hard.

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14286 comments Gail: Excellent question!
I calculate roughly the hours or time I listen to audio books that are on CD's based on the percentage of the total CD's I have listened to. Last week I listened to several short stories on my commute (downloaded on my pda from audible.com) after finishing my audio on library CD's. At least my pda gives elapsed time vs. the total download, though I can't read it while in the car.
It is a challenge. Jan O'Cat's method is close to what I use in my head. ;)

Gail/Ladyvolz wrote: " ... How do you know the number of minutes/hours you have listened? I find this perplexing as I just listen on my way to and from work, shopping, etc. I could not tell you how much time I had spent listening at any one time in a book......I think people must use the Jan O'Cat method of math...... "

message 4: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Jan O'Cat's method is close to what I use in my head.

Someday everyone will use O'Catmath.

--anonymous

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14286 comments But of course, Ms. Jan O'Wisecat!!

JanOMalleycat wrote: "Jan O'Cat's method is close to what I use in my head.

Someday everyone will use O'Catmath.

--anonymous"

message 6: by Gail/Ladyvolz (new)

Gail/Ladyvolz Bowman (ladyvolz) | 343 comments Dear Anonymous

this is why I LOVE this group! The sage advice that is given for all to learn