Writer's Paradise discussion

Writers H-M > Liz's Invisible Ninja Cyborg Pirate Ship of Writing Awesomeness

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz (new)

Liz | 80 comments Well, I'm going to start in the middle of 2009. Yay me. My goal will be 100 words per day. My aim is to divide my time equally between fanfiction, and original fiction. Some hopes. Knowing me, the fanfic will get more attention.

message 2: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 1803 comments it's okay lol

message 3: by Callie (new)

Callie (neverlandcallie) awesome goal! welcome to the group liz!

message 4: by Micaela (new)

Micaela | 65 comments Welcome.
...Fanfic is still writing. Words are still words. ;)

message 5: by Kenzie, Help feed the hungry. Donate to 30 Hour Famine! (new)

Kenzie | 1305 comments Mod
Welcome to the group, Liz!

message 6: by Liz (new)

Liz | 80 comments Wow! I haz support!

Lol, 256 words today, on my JulNoWriMo novel that I never did finish... (I quit 8 days in!)

message 7: by Liz (new)

Liz | 80 comments And... I'm back again, almost three months after that last post. Great news! In the last two weeks I have managed to write 13 000 words!!!! My goal is 1000 words a day, so I'm 3 000 words behind (including today, that is), but three days ago, I was 5 000 words behind. And all of it was original fiction.

I would just like to say that I am very, very proud of myself right now!

/exclamation mark abuse.

message 8: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 1803 comments *Smiles* congrats!

message 9: by Liz (new)

Liz | 80 comments Lol I can't believe I abandoned this place.

message 10: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 1803 comments Yeah it's hard to abandon! People are nice here.

message 11: by Liz (new)

Liz | 80 comments :) Most writing websites are like that. It's so hard to pick and choose, and I think that was why I left originally. But right now, this place is EXACTLY what I need!

message 12: by Callie (new)

Callie (neverlandcallie) LIz, I absolutely love your title to your cubi :D

message 13: by Liz (new)

Liz | 80 comments Thankyou! :) I wanted something that reflected my serious nature, and my quest for normality and maturity in a changing and sometimes confusing world.

*hem hem* Moving right along... I HAVE JUST DONE A PERSONAL BEST TODAY!!! Two thousand, five hundred words :):):):).

I had to make up for yesterday's dismal effort of one hundred words, right?

message 14: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 1803 comments Liz wrote: "Thankyou! :) I wanted something that reflected my serious nature, and my quest for normality and maturity in a changing and sometimes confusing world.

*hem hem* Moving right along... I HAVE JUST..."

YAY!!

message 15: by Liz (new)

Liz | 80 comments I'm so happy for me!

message 16: by Paige (new)

Paige (anauthor) I, too, love your cubi title.

Welcome Liz!

message 17: by Liz (new)

Liz | 80 comments thankyou!

No writing for days, now. I must be about seven thousand words behind again. I have too much to do!

message 18: by Liz (new)

Liz | 80 comments Wait, scratch that. I polished up a song today. 301 words.

This is the chorus:

You're so forgettable
Though you're so lovable
Wanna take you up and teach you how
To be more memorable
Maybe indelible
But then I'd have to remember you
No chance to surrender you

message 19: by Liz (new)

Liz | 80 comments I think ninja cyborgs have attacked me and taken my story-writing motivation hostage. Oh noez!!

...In the meantime, Liz and her guitar get reacquainted. Which is nice.

message 20: by Anne (new)

Anne (mekone) | 225 comments I hope your ninja cyborgs will set your motivation free soon! You must have come across the fountain of all motivation there is to move from 100 words per day to over a thousand! How did you do that?
By the way I liked your song very much!

message 21: by Liz (new)

Liz | 80 comments Lol, two things happened:

a) I started to replan my JulNo novel
b) we had school holidays
Lol, by my count I'm 8 000 words behind now. I was aiming for 1000 a day, but that ambition is going to have to die a quiet death, I think. :(

And thanks! I'm going to try and convince my friend to play bass or violin or something to back me up (he's a music whiz), and we'll play at a school assembly or something. This girl sings all the time, so we probably won't have too much trouble getting in. Plus we had a talent show a few weeks ago, so they know I can sing.

message 22: by Liz (new)

Liz | 80 comments My novel (Finding Nick) is going on hiatus while I study for exams. Unfortunately, ninja cyborgs have nothing to do with it. If they did I could just write them into giving me back my story.

Liz and her guitar have gotten VERY attached.

message 23: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 1803 comments ugh! I hate school it's distracting from my homework!!!

message 24: by Liz (new)

Liz | 80 comments Lol.

I'm sitting in a tshirt and my rugby shorts and sweating like mad. I have a love/hate relationship with summer.

message 25: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 1803 comments it's fall!! It's cold here I can barley walk home without a jacket!

message 26: by Liz (last edited Oct 23, 2009 06:45PM) (new)

Liz | 80 comments It's springtime over here. Anyway. Yesterday night I wrote 1661 words on a fanfiction I'd wanted to do for quite a while. It's not finished yet.

If anybody's interested, I'll post the link when I'm done.

message 27: by Liz (last edited Oct 23, 2009 10:53PM) (new)

Liz | 80 comments So the day after that I got up to 3 157 words:

a) 946 on the next part of that fanfiction, which is an Artemis Fowl with Opal/Cudgeon. It is now finished. It just needs editing. I'm a bit nervous about that one actually, since it's quite unlike my usual stuff--there's no fluff or humour anywhere in here.

b) 1339 on a new fanfiction-- Dreamhunter--(a oneshot) that is getting to be quite long and which I think I'll be able to adapt to be an original fic without too much trouble. There are only two characters in it and one of them is a minor character fleshed out by me, so he's basically my own. Hope he doesn't suck.

c) 872 on a dummy prologue to what is intended to be my magnum opus or what have you, so I was basically just practicing for the real thing. After all, I want a few books under my belt before I really attempt a series. I finished the prologue by the way.

message 28: by Liz (last edited Oct 23, 2009 10:54PM) (new)

Liz | 80 comments And the day after THAT, which was yesterday, I did a lot of editing on a Midnighters (Scott Westerfeld) oneshot and the aforementioned Artemis Fowl fic without adding anything that new to either.

My new words for the day were 1303:

a) 740 on 'Laura and the Waiter', the creatively-named Dreamhunter fanfic. I don't think it's more than half-finished. Possibly even a third.

b) 563 on a new, unnamed urban fantasy short (gee, I sound so professional) which I started because the words 'it was hot again today' were stuck in my head. Gee, wonder why? The fact that it's been sweltering for the last three days definitely doesn't have anything to do with that, nope.

Just spewing out some fanfics has actually helped me keep my hand in. The bad thing though is that they're better than my originals, I suppose because I don't have to worry about characters.

I really wish I could finish the old Twilight fanfic/parodies that I've totally lost interest in. I hate disappointing readers. It's annoying, because mum hates me having Twilight in the house, and she thinks I'm reading it for real rather than parodying it, even though I've told her what I'm doing. She wants me to take it back to the library, but I don't want to until it's due just in case inspiration strikes. It's so annoying.

In the meantime, I've been neglecting my homework in favour of the writing. Bad Liz!

message 29: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 1803 comments aww you love fan fiction!! It's okay! I write some normally focusing more on other characters and I only do twilight since it gets more reader traffic and Stephine Meyers books were mostly description.

message 30: by Liz (new)

Liz | 80 comments Shyah! I've actually written a few serious ones too, with Leah/Edward and Bella/Edward. I'm sorry I wrote the Leah/Edward one, though. She deserves better than that.

message 31: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 1803 comments pfft I almost completely ignore the Twilight charries

I've only really written one serious one. http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5450727/1...

and it's only two chappies long cause no ones reviewed

message 32: by Liz (new)

Liz | 80 comments Leah is the only character worth anything in the Twilight series. I didn't want to come right out and say it because I know that a lot of people here like Twilight, but to defend my honour, I shall.

Talk about a shameless plug! I found the concept very intriguing, but I liked your second chapter better.

I'd promise a review but I might never do it.

Updates in about two minutes when I switch computers.

message 33: by Liz (new)

Liz | 80 comments Okay, so it was more like 40 minutes--aurgh! It's nearly 10:30. Okay.

Nothing on Saturday.

25 October Sun-- roughly 200 on Laura and the Waiter. But the original fic version is starting to become bigger than the other one, so I have clippings and stuff at the end of my document. THerefore I'm not sure how many I've done.

26 October Mon -- for all my posturing about writing a 'real short story urban fantasy', Mel might as well be Imogene Yeck. In retaliation against myself, I'm making poor Mel less brave and less stable (emotionally, not mentally) and a little more whiny-teenagery. She's staying imaginative but grounded and practical. And I've given it a title. It's called, in a typical 90s titling fashion, You're Just Imagining Things. I have a very bad feeling that the title is going to end up as the last line, as in,

"I thought I saw something weird out there. Call me crazy but... well, it seriously looked like a fairy."
Mel smiled. "You're just imagining things." '

Operation Subvert Last Line has begun.

503 words on my newly-titled Urban Fantasy. A lot of it is plot ideas and ways to incorporate religion into it. My challenge as I see it is pretty much:

a) put fairies in it
b) don't disrespect the Dreamtime stories of the Aboriginal people by fully ignoring or patronising them
c) actually *gasp!* mention God in there, and not as an expletive.
d) keep this from becoming a 'battle of good and evil' (TM) but still have characters grow.

This will be... interesting, to say the least.

message 34: by Liz (new)

Liz | 80 comments Sheesh, Australian, Christian fairies. I think I can do this though. Anyway, so word count time:

Tues-Thurs: nothing.

Friday 30 October --

1134 on Finding Nick: Nick's point of view of Louisa and Catherine. I'm getting used to writing with his voice, which is good.

230 words on another untitled urban fantasy, which started because I wanted to write a story that began with the sentence, 'One day Quinn woke up and the fairies weren't there.' or something like that.

Finding Nick (the actual novel), I wrote 698 words, which is smaller than my usual 1200-word chunks, but still good. Total word count: 2062.

message 35: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 1803 comments lol well thanks for reading.

yeah, it's true. And I find it stalkerish, I mean I know that having dead people talk to you in your head is kind of stalkerish too but it's kind of comforting once you get past the idea that they're dead and in your head and all. But having real persons in bodies being stalkerish....just ugh.

AM is the antagonist (and his HUGE army of letter-to-power organized demonic army). Writing the Cullens is just hard because they are flat and have no spark!

message 36: by Liz (new)

Liz | 80 comments No duh. Have you noticed that every single fanfiction you read of *that book* has changed Edward in some way? He's too boring not to!

message 37: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 1803 comments EXACTLY! Each of them have like two personality characteristics and that's all. Edward honestly is all gentleman and the rest is blank his is a main character for Pete's Sake!

message 38: by Liz (new)

Liz | 80 comments Hah. Gentleman? I think not.

message 39: by Anne (new)

Anne (mekone) | 225 comments Is he a man at all?

I wonder if it's easier for the writer to make the characters with only two characteristics each, or if it's harder? I think I would loose interest in a character who never changes, which in turn would make me either kill him or change him by force, but then I'm no pro.

message 40: by Liz (last edited Nov 12, 2009 06:07AM) (new)

Liz | 80 comments Yeah, but neither is Stephenie Meyer. I don't think she consciously made her characters that way. She's just starting out so of course her first stuff is going to suck. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

I mean, one of my flops was about a bunch of characters who were all going to end up together. A few of my critics reckoned that the characters were all too 'samey'. They were right. My characters were so one-dimensional because all I wanted to do in that was get to the love part. (And have somebody go under cover as a sheep, but that's got nothing to do with it.)

Same with Meyer. In this case, all she wanted to do was write about Edward and Bella being in love, and it shows.

message 41: by Liz (new)

Liz | 80 comments Okay. Since Friday, 30th October, I have done:

343 words on my Twilight fanfic parody thing. The one that's part of a series, I mean. I have three. This one is the one where I started off with a basic premise and now I have at least four subplots. And it's humour, so none of it's that *And then lolward came and bit me and I turned into a vampires and meanwhile Alice and Jasper were having a breakup and, and, and,". No, my friends. This is humour, and so my twists involve things like fireworks. No, not attraction fireworks, LITERAL HONEST-TO-GOODNESS FIREWORKS. They're going to set the shed on fire. Possibly do a little damage to the Cullen house if I'm in a sadistic mood.
That reminds me. Must start having Bella comment that it's a little cold.

734 on Christina and the Waiter, which has now diverged from Laura and the Waiter. So both Christina and the Waiter have changed drastically over the course of the story. I'm going to need to do some serious editing once I've done the first draft. But I'm almost finished draft one, so I'm very happy with that. Plus it actually has some themes in it. Good.

344 on Quinn. Have figured out the fairy 'rules' for that little universe. I feel sorry for poor Kylie though. But I need to work out what the heck Quinn's parents put an eight-year-old in a mental institution for?

Yes, these are tangents and the uninitiated reader probably won't understand them. Sorry!

In other news: I have posted a Midnighters fanfic. Need to print out that Artemis Fowl fanfic and edit that. I don't take as much care with my Twilight fics. But this other stuff... I'd rather have a good reputation for high-quality fics where it counts.

message 42: by Liz (new)

Liz | 80 comments Bravo to anybody who reads this.

message 43: by Anne (new)

Anne (mekone) | 225 comments And bravo to you too, Liz! What a start you have had to your month!

message 44: by Liz (new)

Liz | 80 comments Lol, thanks Teresa!

message 45: by Liz (new)

Liz | 80 comments Okay, words between November 12 and November 18:

1119 words (to chapter 25 inclusive) on a Twilight crackfic that involves massive amounts of relationship swapsies and character death and traverses several continents. I love that fic so much. It makes me warm inside.

750 words on a new Phantom of the Opera (movie) fic. Perhaps this time I'll end up with a nice one. I've had several failed attempts beforehand. Once I went too grand and once I did a poem. Who even reads those? Both of them sucked really badly, anyway. But I like this one.

I gotta say, I really like doing fanfics. It's so relaxing, especially since Finding Nick is annoying me immensely. There's a character I had from version one (unfinished) whom I now want to insert into version two. At least she's only a supporting cast member.

I have 5 original stories, 2 fanfictions and one poem to edit. And I have two more exams to go and I really should be studying for History right now...