Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Prefixing titles with Omnibus: or Anthology:

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Tess Gerritsen's books look like someone has gone through and changed the title to begin Omnibus: or Anthology: for certain books -- I can't be sure it's a librarian and not an odd Amazon import because I can't get the librarian change logs to open (is anyone else having trouble with this tonight? the whole site has been slow for me all day), but that's not correct, is it? Especially with the sort by titles also prefixed that way....

message 2: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 593 comments I was also having trouble looking at the librarian change logs today.

I'd agree, adding that prefix is inappropriate. Although, I could argue either way on adding something like that in parenthesis after the title.

message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Aug 05, 2009 11:28PM) (new)

rivka | 41717 comments Mod
I don't think it's Amazon; none of them show up that way there. And while the book-specific librarian logs are timing out, the librarian-specific ones are not. So it appears to not have been the author who made the changes. (I was concerned that it might have been.)

I agree that those prefixes should go.

Correction! I found one that IS that way on Amazon, and may be the source of the problem -- the librarian removed the author's name, and apparently then tried to make the other sets match this one.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Message sent.

message 5: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (ssaccoliti) | 474 comments As I was looking at this author, Rivka, I noticed you left a note about this book: Akte Weiss / Das Geheimlabor to the effect that this was the "German translation of Under The Knife / Whistleblower". This is also included in the description of the book.

Should I be doing as well?

I've been slowly go through RL Stine and the Goosebumps books. R.L. Stine

With the 2 page combine, I have been including the English translation of the title in the title field after the published name http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17...

This helps combine books across pages.

My question is - should the English translation then be deleted from the title (it's not on the book cover) and added to either/neither/or both the description and a library note?

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Sherry wrote: "My question is - should the English translation then be deleted from the title (it's not on the book cover) and added to either/neither/or both the description and a library note?"

Somebody back up my overtired memory, please. Is that not what we decided the last time this came up?

(It could have been a dream. I do have Goodreads dreams.)

message 7: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 579 comments My understanding is that if we know the English translation of the name, we put it in parentheses after the true title. This way it shows up in the sort when any GRer does a search, as well as on the combine page.

message 8: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (ssaccoliti) | 474 comments Agreed with Abigail and Rivka. The only thing I keep in parantheses is series information.

Rivka, I couldn't find it in the past discussion posts. Earlier this morning as I s trying to search through discussion posts I got bounced out. I know that we've talked about this before in the both this group and the feedback group, but sometimes searching the discussion posts is not so easy ... I usually do try, I promise, before I ask a question. :)

By the way, I too have been having Goodreads dreams. I think I need to get out more.

message 9: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Aug 06, 2009 08:19PM) (new)

I'd rather have GR dreams than dreams about my regular job. ;)

Also, MICHAEL says that if you refresh a search after it times out, it will usually work the second time.

message 10: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (ssaccoliti) | 474 comments I'm game. I'll try it next time.

message 11: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (ssaccoliti) | 474 comments Nope, didn't work.

message 12: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (ssaccoliti) | 474 comments Still trying to clean up R.L. Stine.

Just to confirm:

for http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20...
As it is now:
Goosebumps Collection #3: "Girl Who Cried Monster", "Welcome to Camp Nightmare", "Ghost Next Door" (Goosebumps - Collections, #3)

Should be
Girl Who Cried Monster / Welcome to Camp Nightmare / Ghost Next Door (Goosebumps Collections, #3)

Have I got it right?

message 13: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Sherry, that one seems to be actually titled "Goosebumps Collection #3", as far as I can tell from the cover art, so that's how the title should read. Putting the included titles as subtitles is also fairly common. The only thing I might change is the series title, which might be "Goosebumps Collections" instead of "Goosebumps - Collections".

message 14: by Sherry (last edited Aug 08, 2009 03:00PM) (new)

Sherry (ssaccoliti) | 474 comments Cait wrote: "Sherry, that one seems to be actually titled "Goosebumps Collection #3", as far as I can tell from the cover art, so that's how the title should read. Putting the included titles as subtitles is a..."

So
Goosebumps Collection #3: Girl Who Cried Monster / Welcome to Camp Nightmare / Ghost Next Door (Goosebumps Collections)
Yes?

Not sure why the subtitles of the books are in quotes. Aren't they usually just separated by a forward slash?

message 15: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Sherry wrote: "Goosebumps Collection #3: Girl Who Cried Monster / Welcome to Camp Nightmare / Ghost Next Door (Goosebumps Collections)"

Hmm. Looking at that, I'm not sure we even need the series name at all, if it's in the title. Does anyone else have thoughts on that?

"Not sure why the subtitles of the books are in quotes. Aren't they usually just separated by a forward slash?"

That's a good point; the quotes can come off.

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 949 comments I would tend to leave the individual titles out of the book title, put them in the description and make the title something along the lines of "Goosebumps Collection #3 (Goosebumps, #xx-xx)"

message 17: by Sherry (last edited Aug 09, 2009 02:47PM) (new)

Sherry (ssaccoliti) | 474 comments This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For wrote: "I would tend to leave the individual titles out of the book title, put them in the description and make the title something along the lines of "Goosebumps Collection #3 (Goosebumps, #xx-xx)""

I like this one the best. you can still find a specific book on a search, the series # info in the parentheses will match the usual series formatting suggestions, and the title from the cover art, as Cait mentioned, remains the title.

Sold.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Under the Knife / Whistleblower (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

R.L. Stine (other topics)