Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Bingo Challenge > Bingo Challenge Rules

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (last edited Aug 21, 2017 11:58AM) (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 6791 comments Mod
Created by Jenna. :)

The Bingo Challenge is where you try to read one book from each of the 25 listed topics, marking Bingo spaces as you go. You can either try for a single Bingo (5 completed in a single row) or a blackout Bingo (in which all the spaces have been covered). Just change the O's to X's as you complete each category. The books you read towards this challenge don't necessarily have to be from the fantasy genre. Have fun!

O . O . O . O . O

O . O . O . O . O

O . O . X . O . O

O . O . O . O . O

O . O . O . O . O

1. A buddy read with someone in the group
2. A debut novel
3. A book under 300 pages
4. A book you own and haven’t read yet
5. A book with a blue cover
6. A book in a series you have already started
7. A book with an anti-hero
8. A book recommended by someone on Goodreads
9. A Young Adult book
10. A book by an author you have not read before
11. A book with a one-word title
12. A book you can read in one day
13. FREE SPACE
14. A book featuring an unlikely friendship
15. A book over 800 pages
16. A book published before 1970
17. A book on your to-read list for more than one year
18. A book with a person on the cover
19. A book from a (sub)genre you don’t usually read
20. A book by an author under 25 at the time it was published
21. A book with a dragon in it
22. A book published this year
23. A standalone book
24. The last book in a series
25. A book of your choice

I'd recommend starting this with #1 in the top left, then left to right, top to bottom from there, but you can arrange it any way you'd like as long as you're consistent. :)

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6150 comments Could I start with this one in December and carry it over to 2018? It sounds like a great challenge.

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments Laura wrote: "Could I start with this one in December and carry it over to 2018? It sounds like a great challenge."

I'm pretty sure you can start it whenever Laura. I started mine in may or something and even retro fired it f to when I joined goodreads in February, and they were cool with it! I found that this challenge gave me some direction when I was jumping back into fantasy after being away for so long.

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6150 comments For me it would be a way to check off some of the non-fantasy books on my shelves. :)

message 5: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4394 comments Mod
Laura wrote: "Could I start with this one in December and carry it over to 2018? It sounds like a great challenge."

Yes, you can start whenever, but only books read in 2018 will count towards the team challenge.

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6150 comments Thank you Jenna. I'll start with Jan then. :)

message 7: by Yanique (new)

Yanique Gillana | 822 comments I just started my own thread (first time ever!) for my 2018 Bingo challenge! I would lone if you guys (and Ladies) would check it out and even offer options and suggestions!

Also.... I've got some chunkers on there so wish me luck!

message 8: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Yanique wrote: "I just started my own thread (first time ever!) for my 2018 Bingo challenge! I would lone if you guys (and Ladies) would check it out and even offer options and suggestions!

Also.... I've got some..."

Congrats! I really need to get around to scheduling buddy reads for the new year so I'll check it out when I get home from work :)

message 9: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2129 comments I’m stuck on Author under 25. Any recommendations?

message 10: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1575 comments Bill wrote: "I’m stuck on Author under 25. Any recommendations?"

I used The Monster Realm when I did this last year.

message 11: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 5098 comments Wasn't Christopher Paolini under 20 when he wrote Eragon?

message 12: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2129 comments Chris wrote: "Bill wrote: "I’m stuck on Author under 25. Any recommendations?"

I used The Monster Realm when I did this last year."

Haven’t heard of this one before. Will look it up. Thanks,

Choko wrote: "Wasn't Christopher Paolini under 20 when he wrote Eragon?"

Thanks. I’ve read the series before but might be up for a reread.

message 13: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 13577 comments This is the book I looked into a couple months ago for the challenge... apparently she wrote the book at age 11 during NaNoWriMo + year afterwards...

message 14: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2129 comments That’s crazy

message 15: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 13577 comments I think there' a video about it I watched... interesting... main thing slowing me from reading it is I think I have to read it myself on Kindle...

message 16: by Em Lost In Books (new)

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2316 comments Bill wrote: "I’m stuck on Author under 25. Any recommendations?"

if you like classics you can try Frankenstein or Sense and Sensibility.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Can I still join this challenge?

message 18: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Khushi wrote: "Can I still join this challenge?"

You can join whenever :)

message 19: by Petrik (new)

Petrik (petrikleo) | 1546 comments I have a question for one word title.

Does it have to be exactly one word like "Petrik"? or "The Petrik" counts?

message 20: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Petrik wrote: "I have a question for one word title.

Does it have to be exactly one word like "Petrik"? or "The Petrik" counts?"

As for most challenges, I don't think this one is too picky. As the person who created the challenge, I give you permission to use a book with "the (word)" for a one-word title. Bonus points if it's actually called The Petrik. ;)

message 21: by Petrik (new)

Petrik (petrikleo) | 1546 comments Jenna wrote: "Petrik wrote: "I have a question for one word title.

Does it have to be exactly one word like "Petrik"? or "The Petrik" counts?"

As for most challenges, I don't think this one is too picky. As t..."

Yeay! thank you, Jenna. Gotcha, I'll write "The Petrik" now xD

message 22: by Zachary (new)

Zachary G | 7 comments This looks like a lot of fun. Is there anything I have to do to join? Or do I simply keep track on my own?

message 23: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7441 comments Zachary wrote: "This looks like a lot of fun. Is there anything I have to do to join? Or do I simply keep track on my own?"

You just start yourself a new thread in this folder to use to keep track. :)

message 24: by Zachary (new)

Zachary G | 7 comments To Siobhan

message 25: by Hajarath Prasad (new)

Hajarath Prasad Abburu (hajarath) | 10 comments Can I use a book for two or more categories?

message 26: by Em Lost In Books (new)

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2316 comments i don't think so.. you have to read a different book for each category.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I would love to join this challenge. I'm starting it with current books.

message 28: by Beste (new)

Beste | 1163 comments Can we re-do this one when we finish?

message 29: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 13577 comments I think most people repeat the challenges yearly or every 6 months... it's really an "up to you" situation...

message 30: by Beste (new)

Beste | 1163 comments Iain wrote: "I think most people repeat the challenges yearly or every 6 months... it's really an "up to you" situation..."

By the time I finish it will be 6 months. Do I go with same page or mark the finished one completed and move on to a new page?

message 31: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Beste wrote: "Iain wrote: "I think most people repeat the challenges yearly or every 6 months... it's really an "up to you" situation..."

By the time I finish it will be 6 months. Do I go with same page or mark..."

You can choose what you want to do. I think it might be easier to just make a new page so you can have your bingo sheet as the first comment. That's what I did. :)

message 32: by Sedat (new)

Sedat Yıldız | 263 comments I'm gonna start doing challenges and this one seems an easy start.. Can I use the books I've read since 1 Jan 18?

message 33: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments @ Sedat : I think you can.

I've a question : My current bingo challenge is not completely done yet, I still have 4 remaining items. Can I start a new one in the meantime?

message 34: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Sedat wrote: "I'm gonna start doing challenges and this one seems an easy start.. Can I use the books I've read since 1 Jan 18?"

You can do it for this challenge and most other challenges, but you won't be able to add all the books from 2018 to the team reading competition. Only books read after your sign-up date. For the other challenges including the bingo challenge we're a bit looser with the rules.

message 35: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Barry wrote: "@ Sedat : I think you can.

I've a question : My current bingo challenge is not completely done yet, I still have 4 remaining items. Can I start a new one in the meantime?"

Sure, why not? :)

message 36: by Laura (last edited Dec 27, 2018 10:33PM) (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6150 comments I was just wondering, as I came up across this in another group.

Could we have a team BINGO competition?
Say we have a few teams and we complete this challenge together. And the team who does it the fastest wins. Or perhaps the team that does the most of in within the set time interval. It may be an incentive for us to complete this challenge. The team reading competition is for 10 months but this one should be only for a short period of time, according to how many people sign up for the teams.
Again, it's just an idea. :)

message 37: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Laura wrote: "I was just wondering, as I came up across this in another group.

Could we have a team BINGO competition?
Say we have a few teams and we complete this challenge together. And the team who does it..."

Could be a good idea. :) I think we might wait until the team challenge is well underway and then this could be a fun addition!

message 38: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6150 comments I didn't actually ask. But is my interactive BINGO ok? I set it all up after Anni but didn't ask if I may do so.
Hope it's fine. And I'd like to add one for standalones also, not only series. It shouldn't matter much for the points in the competition as they are all owned books so already from Overflowing challenge. It's just that... it's fun!! :)
So May I?

message 39: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Laura wrote: "I didn't actually ask. But is my interactive BINGO ok? I set it all up after Anni but didn't ask if I may do so.
Hope it's fine. And I'd like to add one for standalones also, not only series. It s..."

Yes, go for it. :) have fun!

message 40: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6150 comments Yeay!! Thank you!!! :))

message 41: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Here is Bill's alternative version for those who are looking to mix things up from the original topics:
(some are still the same)

1. A buddy read with someone in the group
2. A debut novel
3. A book under 300 pages
4. A book you own and haven’t read yet
5. A book with a purple cover
6. A book in a series you have already started
7. A book with an anti-hero
8. A book recommended by someone on Goodreads
9. A Young Adult book
10. A book by an author you have not read before
11. A book with a one-word title
12. A book you can read in one day
13. FREE SPACE
14. A book featuring an unlikely friendship
15. A book over 1,000 pages
16. A book published before 1960
17. A book on your to-read list for more than three years
18. A book with a person on the cover
19. A book from a (sub)genre you don’t usually read
20. A book by an author over 60 at the time it was published
21. A book with a dragon in it
22. A book published this year
23. A standalone book
24. The last book in a series
25. A book of your choice

message 42: by Shaitarn (new)

Shaitarn | 1820 comments It is okay to use the paperback release of a book for number 22? For example, A Brightness Long Ago was released last year, but I was waiting for the paperback version (which was released on 23rd) as I hate buying hardbacks... would that count?

message 43: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Shaitarn wrote: "It is okay to use the paperback release of a book for number 22? For example, A Brightness Long Ago was released last year, but I was waiting for the paperback version (which was re..."

It's your challenge sheet, so I think it's fine. :)

message 44: by Shaitarn (new)

Shaitarn | 1820 comments Thanks Jenna!