Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

TV/Movies/Music > If you made it into a movie, who would star as...

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitaw) | 165 comments I saw Juno a couple weeks ago and have been thinking ever since that Ellen Paige would make a great Anita Blake in a few years (well, with a padded bra and a perm.) I think she would pull off the attitude wonderfully. She's also a petite woman with pale skin dark hair/eyes, which fits the description well, too. If you've read Stephanie Meyer's website, you'll find a whole section devoted to who should play whom in Twilight the movie. What do you think? Are there movie stars that you imagine would play your favorite characters well?

message 2: by Summer (last edited Mar 03, 2008 12:32PM) (new)

Summer (summerbp) | 59 comments There's a website called the Anita Blake Compendium in which people have contributed their ideas for actors/models/etc. of a good portion of the characters throughout the AB series. However, I do NOT agree with their choice of Salma Hayek as Anita!

message 3: by Shannon (new)

Shannon  (giraffe_days) Are they going to turn Anita Blake into a tv series, or is it just talk?

I agree Summer, Salma Hayek would not be a good choice for the role! Quite a stupid idea, really!

message 4: by Melisande (new)

Melisande (melisandes) I am still not over them casting the woman who should have played Dresden's love interest in the Dresden Files series as Murphy. Murphy is a tiny blond dainty looking woman who can kick total tushie. At point is it ok to cast a tall hispanic woman as Murphy?

message 5: by Kathrynn (last edited Mar 07, 2008 12:06PM) (new)

Kathrynn In the April 2008 Writer's Digest magazine there is an interview with Laurell K. Hamilton. One of the questions asked if she sold the film rights to her series, yet. Here's what she said:

"No. I've reached that magic point where they can't wave enough money at me to make it worthwhile to hand my baby over. I've been approached over the years, and a lot of times people help me say no by the initial conversation. You go to these movies that were based on a book and you just can't imagine how they got from point A to point B. But having said that, the more I look at the process, it's a very difficult thing to take a book and make it into a movie, because a movie script is the size of a novella. Most modern American novels are five times that. How do you cut it down and have it still make sense? It's an art form in itself."

Thought I'd share that. Who knows, though, she could still change her mind. $$$$

message 6: by Jacalyn (new)

Jacalyn | 454 comments Brycen,

We've been over this... they had to do it. Because of the person Murphy was based off of. Not only that but they had someone with the "look" audition and then Murphy auditioned for a different part but they felt very moved to flip the roles for the two.

But also there was issues with the fact Murphy resembled someone very strongly...

Having a brunette doesn't bug me. I don't care about hair colour so much. LOL Then again maybe that's because I've run the gambit of chestnut to blonde to red. :)

message 7: by Stella (new)

Stella (stellaprice) | 36 comments Audra and I do this with our characters. We have a website that is a forum where we have the characters interact with the fans, its actually a lot of fun * or was when it was used a lot*

heres some of our top picks:

Feyd Nightly- Ed Norton
Fallon Ipwhisk- Johnny Depp
Astrid Buchamps- Mia Kirshner
Thisbe Winters- Carly Pope
Drake- Colin Farrell
Cassiel-Christian Bale

theres a bunch more... but Aud and I think on this a lot.

message 8: by Summer (new)

Summer (summerbp) | 59 comments I think Jonathan Rhys Meyers would make an uber-delicious Jean Claude.

message 9: by Gina (new)

Gina (ginrobi) | 137 comments I didn't mind who they had cast as Murphy. I thought she portrayed the character well. I can tell you what upset me, however: what the h-e-double-hockey-sticks happened to Harry's coat? And his VW Bug? Those two things are crucial to Harry's character and neither were present! He doesn't wear that green monstrosity nor does he drive a Jeep!

message 10: by Melisande (new)

Melisande (melisandes) Uh huh Ozma. :P

I am so not letting them go on this. It bugs me that Murphy was played by a tall amazon. As a tall Amazon I would like to personally pretend I am short like Murphy but alas I do not get to so no fair on Murphy pretending to be a tall Amazon. :P

message 11: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitaw) | 165 comments I finally looked on the Anita Blake Compendium and didn't see any suggestions I agreed with. I love Summer's suggestion of Jonathan Rhys Meyers - this image with wavier hair is my new mental picture of Jean Claude.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgur...

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) Oh wow I asked the same question over at B&N's paranormal forum and got no responses I like Kelly Monaco( General hospital) for Blake and Steve Burton( General hospital) for Edward.

message 13: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitaw) | 165 comments Kelly Monaco is a great suggestion for Anita Blake! I just looked her up and she does look the part (if she got a perm, that is). Steve Burton looks a little too tall and handsome for my image of Edward - I think he's supposed to be 5'9" or so and very non-descript, if I remember right.

In retrospect, I remembered from the Compendium site that the image of Gabriel that they picked seemed right - it inadvertently became my mental image of the character. When I went back to look up the name, they had changed it to someone else who looks too young to have teenage kids. Figures.

I still don't have a good idea about who Richard looks like - I can picture his wavy, medium brown hair with gold and copper highlights in the sun, strong jaw, lightly tanned skin, brown eyes, and muscular 6'1" or so frame, but it just looks like a painting in my head - finding an actor who's a dead ringer really improves my mental image.

message 14: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) Since there are graphic novels already published, that's going to make it even harder to cast this movie. I have a very clear image in my head of what they all look like now.

message 15: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1593 comments Whoa, Nessa. That does make him look good for it!

message 16: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
wow Nessa--I think my computer over-headed when I clicked on that link. And I KNOW my monitor started smoking. :oP

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) Nessa- Oh boy that's a hot male.HMM they definitely should get him to play JC in the upcoming movie.

message 18: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1593 comments Movie is confirmed, Nessa. IFC is going to do it. LKH announced it on her blog.

message 19: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Apr 21, 2009 06:42PM) (new)

NOOOO--Kate is WAY too tall to play Anita. Anita was always complaining about how people thoughts she was "young" and she blamed it on being short. I think she talks in a couple of the books about being only 5'3 and Kate is 5'7"--and that's WITHOUT heels on. I guess if you made everyone ELSE In the movie 4 inches taller, so that they stayed in proportion? But I mean, 6'8" actors are hard to find, as are 6'4" ones. And finding female actors that are 4 or 5 inches taller than Anita???? I mean we are talking about having to have MOST of the females at 5'11" or 6'. Come on--do you really think they can find that many extras tall enough to carry the movie off?

message 20: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1593 comments They could make her stand in a hole?

I believe Ann feels strongly about petite people being properly represented in the media.

message 21: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

well being of the petite persuasion myself, I DO. I wish that Hollywood had a few more FEMALES in important jobs. Then we wouldn't have interchangable plastic bimbos who have a shelf life of 5 or so years. And maybe they'd get rid of that stupid "thing" they have for size 000 females and get back to REAL women. I mean, come on, MM herself wore a size 14 (what was a 14 back then--sizes change, so she'd be a size 10 now) and I don't think there is a hetero male on the PLANET who doesn't drool over HER. But the current male morons want no hips, no butts, no thighs but BIG artifical boobs.

(clearing throat) er, ok, sorry for the rant. It just annoys me that a size 12 model is considered a PLUS sized model. Size 12 is NOT PLUS sized.

Ok, I promise, I'll stop ranting now.

message 22: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

Pamela (foxglovewitch) | 614 comments Mod
While I do think that super-skinny women are overrepresented in Hollywood, to be fair, slim women ARE real women, too. The media just needs to get it through their skulls that slim women are not the ONLY kind of women out there.

message 23: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Nessa wrote: "Anita wrote: "I finally looked on the Anita Blake Compendium and didn't see any suggestions I agreed with. I love Summer's suggestion of Jonathan Rhys Meyers - this image with wavier hair is my ne..."

errrrr......sorry but he reminds me of Michel Jackson.....

message 24: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 1 comments I think JRM would be perfect as Jean-Claude. He's already got experience from the Tudors doing period stuff, changing his voice from Irish to English.

All he needs is longer hair and the fangs.

message 25: by Shelleyrae (new)

Shelleyrae at Book'd Out | 145 comments I think Eliza Dushku would make a good Anita - she is a little young but she has the experience that makes me think of her(as Faith in Buffy)and she is 5"5"
Mila Kunis could work too - she is 5'3 - a really exotic look

I can't stand Salma UGh

message 26: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Hum Shelleyrae--she might be a bit tall. From what I remember (its been a while since I read them) Anita was always talking about herself as 5'3" or less--and about how "being short" makes people think she's younger than she really is. Personally I don't think that 5'3" is short (hey, just because so much of the REST of the population is taller than I am, that's no reason to think I'm SHORT is it?) :oP