Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

A-Z Topic Challenge > A-Z Topic Challenge rules

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited Aug 08, 2017 11:15AM) (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Normally an A-Z challenge is based on author's last name. A Abercrombie, B Brown, etc. These help readers interact and diversify but having done them you still stick to the same common sub genres. Also Q, X, Y and Z are a pain in the ass and you ending up reading crap to just get them done.

My A-Z proposal is on topics beginning with a the letter. I've tried to mix it up some being creatures, magical types, genres, etc. Most of these are straightforward and intuitive to figure out. Where they weren't usually it's because the letter is simply a pain in butt to fill so I'm stretching it a bit and will explain.

On some such as D I went with a less common option of Demons vs the ever popular Dragons again for diversification. With some like E I went with Elves simply because it's a tough letter.

I really don't care about the letter of the law on these. More about fun. You could find an interesting take on some of these.

Nothing before Jan-1-18 counts!

Alchemy

Banishing - could be a spirit or somebody exiled from a kingdom.

Coven

Demons -

Elves

Fairies

Griffin

Horror

Interstellar - Anything outerspace.

Joust

Kraken - Sea monsters in general.

Lucifer - Hades, doesn't really matter just something dealing with the underworld.

Mediums

Necromancy - Could be zombies, talking to the dead, the white walkers, etc.

Orcs

Phoenix -

Quest -

Reincarnation

Steampunk

Tarot

Unicorns

Vampires

Werewolves

Xenmorph - A fancy way to get aliens in and get rid of X

Yeti - Any type of snow monster or bigfoot type.

Zombies

message 2: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 6791 comments Mod
"Nothing before Jan-1-18 counts!" <- spoiler sport. ;P

message 3: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2129 comments Nothing before Jan-1-18 counts! Quit being a tease.

message 4: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
But stacking his schedule so he "finishes on Jan 1st" is not above that man let me forewarn you lol

message 5: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3517 comments Mod
Margret wrote: "But stacking his schedule so he "finishes on Jan 1st" is not above that man let me forewarn you lol"

You are 100% correct.

message 6: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Angela wrote: "Margret wrote: "But stacking his schedule so he "finishes on Jan 1st" is not above that man let me forewarn you lol"

You are 100% correct."

Margret wrote: "But stacking his schedule so he "finishes on Jan 1st" is not above that man let me forewarn you lol"

Is that sour grapes I smell? :)

message 7: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Bill wrote: "Nothing before Jan-1-18 counts! Quit being a tease."

Niki Hawkes wrote: ""Nothing before Jan-1-18 counts!" <- spoiler sport. ;P"

I'm a giant challenge tease .

message 8: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Yes, I'm jealous of course!

message 9: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Angela wrote: "Yes, I'm jealous of course!"

You can do it for 2018. :)

Once I'm over 150 I'll start thinking about it.

message 10: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (last edited Aug 08, 2017 04:27PM) (new)

Hmm it could be difficult. If I get into Teachers College for next year, it's going to leave very little time for reading for pleasure :(. Of course the outcome will be worth it.

message 11: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
You can count on me to beat your ass in 4 years when both of my kids are in school

message 12: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Margret wrote: "You can count on me to beat your ass in 4 years when both of my kids are in school"

The oldest goes off to college in four years so I'm not sure how much that will buy you.

message 13: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Angela wrote: "Hmm it could be difficult. If I get into Teachers College for next year, it's going to leave very little time for reading for pleasure :(. Of course the outcome will be worth it."

Without a doubt, good luck.

message 14: by Kieron (new)

Kieron Cool another challenge. Some of those are going to be tricky. Definitely up for the challenge in 2018 once I have finished the book cover challenge.

message 15: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeths01) | 947 comments I'll be up for it!

Saar The Book owl | 1715 comments So, if I understand it correctly, you must read a book about every topic?

message 17: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Saar wrote: "So, if I understand it correctly, you must read a book about every topic?"

Correct. It doesn't have to be completely about that topic only contain it. I'm reading a book right now for instance that I never thought there would be a demon appearance but it would qualify.

Saar The Book owl | 1715 comments Thank you, Scott, for the explenation. I'll do this!

message 19: by Shaitarn (new)

Shaitarn | 1820 comments If you read a book that covers more than one category (say, vampires and werewolves for example), can you use it to tick off both or just one?

message 20: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Shaitarn wrote: "If you read a book that covers more than one category (say, vampires and werewolves for example), can you use it to tick off both or just one?"

One.

message 21: by Haïfa (new)

Haïfa (haifoun) | 32 comments Oh no !! 2018 ! XD
My reads of this year cover almost half of the letters !
Guess I'm going to re-read some of this stuff next year ! :D

message 22: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 13577 comments I prefer to find new things to read to fill the slots... if I really want to re-read something (like I'm doing with Magic Binds right now) I can always use it to fill a slot, but otherwise...

message 23: by Haïfa (last edited Aug 25, 2017 05:12AM) (new)

Haïfa (haifoun) | 32 comments Iain wrote: "I prefer to find new things to read to fill the slots... if I really want to re-read something (like I'm doing with Magic Binds right now) I can always use it to fill a slot, but ot..."

Same here! I was just joking ;)
Well funny you're re-reading KD ! I'm planning to do so next month too :))
It's one of those rare series I'm willing to re-read as much as it makes me happy!

message 24: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

I did 2018 so we can all clean up the other challenges. Having too many open at once saturates the market.

message 25: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 13577 comments I did a re-listen last year before Magic Binds came out... but the audio was delayed because of Renee Raudman's honeymood... only got around to a re-listen now before Iron and Magic comes out in October...

I've read the early books 3x and the later ones twice now... I don't tend to re-read often unless I'm in a book slump... and joining more varied groups has resolved most of my book slump troubles... discovering a wider range of books to try...

message 26: by Miche (last edited Nov 04, 2017 01:40PM) (new)

Miche | 2930 comments Just a heads up that I switched some of my letters to other categories to fit with my reading schedule.

My priority to 2018 is to finish Malazan and read as many books as I can that I already own while advancing some of the other series I have already started.

As I normally only read around 50 books an year and I am already committed to two big series (Wheel of Time and Malazan), I had to scale back on vampires, werewolves, yetis, etc. :)

message 27: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Miche wrote: "Just a heads up that I switched some of my letters to other categories to fit with my reading schedule.

My priority to 2018 is to finish Malazan and read as many books as I can that I already own ..."

No worries. It's more about participation and fun than the letter of the law. If you're happy with your changes that's all that matters.

message 28: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

The "letter" of the law? Bwahahaha

message 29: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 3626 comments Miche wrote: "Just a heads up that I switched some of my letters to other categories to fit with my reading schedule.

My priority to 2018 is to finish Malazan and read as many books as I can that I already own ..."

I might actually do the same thing. I'll probably use books that aren't just fantasy.

message 30: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Niki Hawkes wrote: "The "letter" of the law? Bwahahaha"

Please you're a rule follower.

message 31: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Scott wrote: "Niki Hawkes wrote: "The "letter" of the law? Bwahahaha"

Please you're a rule follower."

Bad joke - I meant because it's the A-Z challenge.

message 32: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Niki Hawkes wrote: "Scott wrote: "Niki Hawkes wrote: "The "letter" of the law? Bwahahaha"

Please you're a rule follower."

Bad joke - I meant because it's the A-Z challenge."

OK, in that case I meant, Please 101 dirty jokes is your comedic acumen. :)

message 33: by Miche (new)

Miche | 2930 comments Tammie wrote: "I might actually do the same thing. I'll probably use books that aren't just fantasy. "

I added some that aren't fantasy. I already own them, so might as well read them. :)

message 34: by Miche (new)

Miche | 2930 comments Scott wrote: "No worries. It's more about participation and fun than the letter of the law. If you're happy with your changes that's all that matters."

I am! :)

message 35: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6150 comments Would books outside the fantasy genre also count? And could we read shorter ones too (120-200 pages)?

message 36: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

We're pretty flexible around here Laura, so yes non fantasy is okay.

A couple of shorter ones are okay to include :-).

message 37: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6150 comments Thank you Angela.

I'll sign up then. One more way to clear my TBR. And it's pretty fun too.

message 38: by Shaitarn (new)

Shaitarn | 1820 comments Are audio books okay? How about graphic novels if we get desperate (I'm thinking of digging out one of my old Tintin books for one of these)?

message 39: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

I think you'll be okay Shaitarn. Audio books would be fine and a few graphic novels :-).

message 40: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4394 comments Mod
Angela wrote: "I think you'll be okay Shaitarn. Audio books would be fine and a few graphic novels :-)."

I'm not sure if we agreed on graphic novels or not? I can't remember. Audiobooks definitely count though.

message 41: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

For this challenge graphic novels are fine. It was the team reading challenge we debated it. I can't remember what Niki decided there.

message 42: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4394 comments Mod
Scott wrote: "For this challenge graphic novels are fine. It was the team reading challenge we debated it. I can't remember what Niki decided there."

For some reason I misread this and though it was about the team reading challenge. Seems to be happening to me a lot lately. So many notifications!

message 43: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Jenna wrote: "For some reason I misread this and though it was about the team reading challenge. Seems to be happening to me a lot lately. So many notifications! ."

I have a hard time keeping up with it all. I pretty much assume Niki has the team challenge unless she asks for help, ditto for you on the cover challenge and the series challenge more or less runs itself. Margret and Angela keep the monthly reads straight with help from us when we add a read. Niki is the archive bot. Then we all do a bunch of general stuff. It's a lot to keep up with.

message 44: by Shaitarn (new)

Shaitarn | 1820 comments Scott wrote: "For this challenge graphic novels are fine. It was the team reading challenge we debated it. I can't remember what Niki decided there."

Excellent; thanks Scott.

message 45: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 494 comments I had not seen this before, but it sounds like fun.

(here I go getting too invested in challenges again. Will I ever learn?)

message 46: by Em Lost In Books (new)

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2316 comments Can I do this challenge with character names?

message 47: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Manju wrote: "Can I do this challenge with character names?"

Sure.

message 48: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6150 comments Can I try to do this as a sort of double challenge? 1 book for each of the A-Z categories (as already set) plus 1 book for character names starting with each letter?

message 49: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Laura wrote: "Can I try to do this as a sort of double challenge? 1 book for each of the A-Z categories (as already set) plus 1 book for character names starting with each letter?"

Sure. I'm all about everybody just enjoying it.

message 50: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7441 comments Laura wrote: "Can I try to do this as a sort of double challenge? 1 book for each of the A-Z categories (as already set) plus 1 book for character names starting with each letter?"

That sounds like a great idea, Laura!

« previous 1