Red Dress Ink Fans discussion

Challenges > Task ideas for the Fall/Winter challenge

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacymarie913) | 5567 comments Mod
So how is everyone liking the challenge? I hope everyone is loving it as much as I am!
Should we do it again?
If so, do you have any ideas for tasks and how many points they should be worth?

message 2: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (kc0217) | 335 comments We should absolutely do it again!! I am definately loving it!

message 3: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) | 819 comments I would do it again, it is forcing me to get read some books that have been sitting around for awhile. I read 12 books last month which has to be a record for me.

message 4: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) | 819 comments 25 Point Task: Alphabetical Order. Read 3 books all starting with 3 sequential letters in the alphabet. Doesn’t not have to be A, B, C could be any letters, L, M, N

message 5: by Tara (new)

Tara Alicia wrote: "25 Point Task: Alphabetical Order. Read 3 books all starting with 3 sequential letters in the alphabet. Doesn’t not have to be A, B, C could be any letters, L, M, N "

That's a good one Alicia!

message 6: by Tara (new)

Tara 5 Point Task-read a book that starts with the letter of that month or author whose name starts with that letter.

5 Point Task-read a book on another member's bookshelf on goodreads because they have suggested it

5 Point Task-finish a book you've put down

message 7: by Kourtney (new)

Kourtney (familywithbooks) | 1215 comments Oooohhh those are all good ones! Especially the finishing a book you put down!!!

I'm in again!!! This is great - I'm clearing off bookshelf space...errr...ok let's be real I'm getting rid of them on PBS and BM to make room for new/used books!!!

message 8: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (chamilton12) | 136 comments I LOVE this idea. I was actually thinking that I was going to be REALLY sad when the RDI challenge is over.

How about read something by an author that lives in your state/city?!

Put up a poll of 5 books you want to read and have everyone else choose for you.

Read a book set in a place you have or would like to visit.

(I got the last two off a website)

message 9: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) | 819 comments Oooh the one with the poll is really fun. These are all great ideas.

message 10: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 44 comments I love these ideas! I'm all for doing another challenge this fall! It really makes me buckle down and read all those books I've left unread on my bookshelf:)

message 11: by Stacy (new)

Alicia wrote: "25 Point Task: Alphabetical Order. Read 3 books all starting with 3 sequential letters in the alphabet. Doesn’t not have to be A, B, C could be any letters, L, M, N "

Good one!

message 12: by Stacy (new)

Tara wrote: "5 Point Task-read a book that starts with the letter of that month or author whose name starts with that letter.

5 Point Task-read a book on another member's bookshelf on goodreads because they ha..."

Those are great too!

message 13: by Stacy (new)

Courtney wrote: "I LOVE this idea. I was actually thinking that I was going to be REALLY sad when the RDI challenge is over.

How about read something by an author that lives in your state/city?!

Put up a pol..."

Those are great too! I really like the poll idea!

message 14: by Stacy (new)

I'm glad you guys like the challenge! We'll for sure have another one - I have a huge list of ideas for tasks myself. I'll add these to it with everyone's names so you get credit for your ideas!

How about we throw a mid-way 50 pt. challenge in on the next one?

message 15: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (kc0217) | 335 comments How about:

Read a book at parenting (The Yummy Mummy, Admissions)

Read a book about the main character being involved in a wedding (either getting married or a bridesmaid)

Read a book with something to do with fashion or the title has an article of clothing in it

message 16: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) | 819 comments I am not sure what months this challenge is going to run but if we hit Nov and December:

5 Points: Read a book that has any holiday from Halloween through New Years in it.

message 17: by Stacy (new)

Kristine wrote: "How about:

Read a book at parenting (The Yummy Mummy, Admissions)

Read a book about the main character being involved in a wedding (either getting married or a bridesmaid)

Read a book with..."

Great ideas Kristine!

message 18: by Stacy (new)

Alicia wrote: "I am not sure what months this challenge is going to run but if we hit Nov and December:

5 Points: Read a book that has any holiday from Halloween through New Years in it. "

That's a great idea Alicia, the next one will run Oct through Dec so we'll have plenty of holidays to choose from! :)

message 19: by Jen B (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) I love all these suggestions! I've been pretty sick lately, so I haven't been very participatory (and I haven't picked up a book in nearly two weeks), but I'm glad everyone is looking forward to another challenge!

message 20: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) | 819 comments Hope you feel better! Getting sick in the summer is the worst!

message 21: by Stacy (new)

Sorry to hear you're sick Jen! Hope you feel better soon! Get back into reading, it'll take your mind off of it. :)

message 22: by Tara (new)

Tara I hope you feel better soon Jen!

message 23: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (kc0217) | 335 comments Feel better soon Jen!

message 24: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joelizrado) | 95 comments I am excited about another challenge, this one is taking me by the wayside, I was so excited but have been running out of time this summer! i hope I can be more competitive on the next one ;)

message 25: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joelizrado) | 95 comments Jen feel better soon!

message 26: by Angela (new)

Angela (ageorge) | 61 comments Jen, I hope you are feeling better!! I'm excited about another challenge...even though I am stinking it up on the current challenge I am enjoying reading these books that have been sitting on my shelves.

message 27: by Stacy (new)

Angela wrote: "Jen, I hope you are feeling better!! I'm excited about another challenge...even though I am stinking it up on the current challenge I am enjoying reading these books that have been sitting on my s..."

That's the main point of the challenge Angela - to get us motivated to clean off our shelves (to make room for more, LOL!). I'm glad you're enjoying the challenge. It's been fun!

message 28: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (kc0217) | 335 comments Read a book that has more than one title

message 29: by Stacy (new)

Kristine wrote: "Read a book that has more than one title"

That's an interesting one Kristine, I'm not sure I know what you mean by it though - do you have any examples?

message 30: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (kc0217) | 335 comments Stacy wrote: "Kristine wrote: "Read a book that has more than one title"

That's an interesting one Kristine, I'm not sure I know what you mean by it though - do you have any examples?"

An example is: Where Rainbows End (2004) - Also known as Rosie Dunne

I probably didn't say it clearly

message 31: by Stacy (new)

Kristine wrote: "Stacy wrote: "Kristine wrote: "Read a book that has more than one title"

That's an interesting one Kristine, I'm not sure I know what you mean by it though - do you have any examples?"

An exa..."

OH! Ok, I see what you mean - yeah! That's a great one!

message 32: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) | 819 comments Read a book that has won an award. It could the prestigious as the Pulitzer or as simple as some magazine/bookstore's Top Books of 2008.

Read a book that is (or has been) another groups book club choice. Could be your own book club (outside of Red Dress Ink), any of Oprah's picks, etc.

message 33: by Stacy (new)

Alicia wrote: "Read a book that has won an award. It could the prestigious as the Pulitzer or as simple as some magazine/bookstore's Top Books of 2008.

Read a book that is (or has been) another groups book clu..."

Oh! Those are good ones Alicia!

message 34: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) | 819 comments Read a book mentioned in a TV Show or Movie

message 35: by Stacy (last edited Aug 24, 2009 08:09AM) (new)

Alicia wrote: "Read a book mentioned in a TV Show or Movie"

That's a good one Alicia. Jen and I have already finished collaberating on the Fall/Winter Challenge, so I'll add this to the Winter/Spring Challenge.

Do you have any examples?

message 36: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) | 819 comments Sure do like in the movie Serendipity with John Cusak they look everywhere for that book Love in the Time Cholera. There was a Friends episode where Rachel had Joey read Little Women. And for those Real Housewives of New Jersey fans you could read Cop Without a Badge the book that was written about one of the castmates.

OOhhh so excited to see the new list even though I am not done with the Summer challenge yet.

message 37: by Stacy (new)

Alicia wrote: "Sure do like in the movie Serendipity with John Cusak they look everywhere for that book Love in the Time Cholera. There was a Friends episode where Rachel had Joey read Little Women. And for th..."

Great examples Alicia, I'll put them with your task idea. Thanks!

message 38: by Kourtney (new)

Kourtney (familywithbooks) | 1215 comments OMG I LOVE SERENDIPITY!!!! One of my all time favorite movies :)

message 39: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) | 819 comments Me too!! Then again I think I may love any movie with John Cusak ;-)

message 40: by Stacy (new)

Alicia wrote: "Me too!! Then again I think I may love any movie with John Cusak ;-)"

Me too! I used to have a shirt that said "I" with a heart next to it and a picture of him under it.

message 41: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 767 comments I am excited for the next challenge! Hopefully I will do better. I am way too far behind on the current challenge since I started about a month late!

message 42: by Stacy (new)

Suzanne wrote: "I am excited for the next challenge! Hopefully I will do better. I am way too far behind on the current challenge since I started about a month late!"

Did you include any books you read in July?

message 43: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 767 comments Yeah, I included one. I didn't really read any other books because I was being lazy at the time. If I had known about the challenge, I would have been motivated to read more. It's ok though--I am still having fun even though I'm so far behind! I am ready for the fall/winter challenge!