Writer's Paradise discussion

Writers A-G > Apoorva's Queen-dom

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Apoorva (new)

Apoorva Hi I'm Apoorva. I am new to this group....And I totally love the idea!!! So I decided to make my own discussion to make sure I do what this group wants me to: Write this year.

message 2: by Callie (new)

Callie (neverlandcallie) welcome to the group! Hope you like it here!

message 3: by Micaela (new)

Micaela | 65 comments Welcome! (:

message 4: by Kenzie, Help feed the hungry. Donate to 30 Hour Famine! (new)

Kenzie | 1305 comments Mod
Hi, Apoorva! Glad you've come to join us here. :D

message 5: by Dee, Fan of the "Young Prose Society" (new)

Dee Marie (dee_marie) | 3382 comments Mod
Welcome to the group Apoorva.

The most important thing to do is to write, even if it is only 50 words a day. So, you are on the right track...or is that Write Track :]

message 6: by Micaela (new)

Micaela | 65 comments *face palm*
I think that pun has been used at least a million times.

message 7: by Dee, Fan of the "Young Prose Society" (new)

Dee Marie (dee_marie) | 3382 comments Mod
Giggle-Snort ;]

message 8: by Apoorva (last edited Aug 08, 2009 11:59PM) (new)

Apoorva Hi....And by the way, I'd like to thank the person who created this group because I just love it. I've kept up with my "Write Track", as Dee put it, and I must add, the idea of this group is ingenious. :D

message 9: by Apoorva (new)

Apoorva 1000 words today...not that bad...but I have to go all the way to 1667 if I'm going for NanoWriMo

message 10: by Anne (new)

Anne (mekone) | 225 comments Hello Apoorva! What a wonderfully evocative name you have! Where's it from? 1000 words is more than half of what you need for the NanoWriMo, so you're almost there! Keep going! :)

message 11: by Apoorva (new)

Apoorva Thanks Teresa!!!
My name is Indian. It means "unique"
Yes, and I hope I can get there.
1,097 words today. Got to improve. Can get better.

message 12: by Apoorva (new)

Apoorva 750....Gone down....:(

message 13: by Anne (new)

Anne (mekone) | 225 comments At least you're still at it, Apoorva! I'm sure you'll catch up with yourself again soon! :)

message 14: by Apoorva (new)

Apoorva Thanks Teresa.....^_^ I really hope I can keep going
Btw, for yesterday, it was 1500!!! :D :D :D
and Friday was 1200....I'd jus started a new story.
Yet to go for today

message 15: by Apoorva (new)

Apoorva SUNDAY-1572 WORDS
MONDAY-1800 WORDS....YAY!!!!

Now about my new story. I called it The Third Person
The following is a summary:

When you are barely recognized by your classmates, have been descriminated on the grounds of height, the cutest guy in school only talks to you about Chemistry, a subject which you ace, you have been tagged as the "dork" , and are never part of any group-even the chess club, only because you're not one of the best two, life pretty much sucks.

From the day that her life commenced, Camilla Evans had practically heard only one comment: "Sorry, it's only two. We can't have a third person"

And it held true right from forever. Eliminated in the top three in a spelling bee, thrown out of friend groups of three, always had other girls chosen over her for girlfriends, always been left alone when was asked to pair up with someone, Camilla knew very well that her life was, in short, the life of a loser.

Until things, well, changed, as the day came when people all over the city were striving to be her second. But it took Camilla some time before she realized that her second was waiting for her so close that she hadn't see him.

message 16: by Anne (last edited Aug 18, 2009 10:16AM) (new)

Anne (mekone) | 225 comments That sounds like an interesting story! I'd like to read more if you post it later on! But now you have me wondering whether Camilla hadn't seen that second person because he is invisible or because he just moved to her town or what. :)

message 17: by Apoorva (new)

Apoorva Hey Teresa...I am SO happy you liked my story!!! Thanks a lot, and I am also glad I have you thinking now. :D

Tuesday- 1000 words
Wednesday- 1200 words
Thursday- 250 words
Okay, so maybe it's gone down. A LOT. But what with all the busy week I've had, I think It's understandable. Well, at least for me it is. Plus I have the weekend to look forward to...I'll make up for the last few days...I still haven't let down the motive of this group :)

message 18: by Apoorva (last edited Aug 22, 2009 11:00PM) (new)

Apoorva Friday- 1887 words
Saturday- 1546 words
Yet to go for Sunday.
Okay...So I won't be able to put up this story on goodreads because I prefer writing on paper. I don't know how it works, really, considering most people find it easier on the comp, but it just doesn't work out that way for me, so I can only put up the story when I'm rewriting.

By the way, Teresa, I had this question in mind, and I was wondering If you could help...If you work on more than one stories simultaneously, don't the stories end up clashing? As in, does it happen so that the stories begin to have similar elements? Considering the fact that I am writing two stories right now, I really don't want that to happen. Please help.

message 19: by Anne (new)

Anne (mekone) | 225 comments I don't know whether I'm very representative in this but I do find that I fall in love with an idea or a problem and then it can come back to haunt me in more stories than I had first intended. Somehow I've never thought that was a bad thing. I have had to shoo characters off when they want to gate crash on other stories though, but they usually go peacefully if I put my foot down.

Are your two stories very similar, Apoorva? Where do you fear they might clash, or rather; what sort of clashes would you like to avoid?

message 20: by Apoorva (new)

Apoorva Sunday- 1237 words
Monday-1645 words

I don't know if I can call them too similar, thing is, my stories generally go on the line of teenage life, because I find it a topic I can tackle with ease, and it really takes my attention. Plus, I can make it more believable.
Like, if I have an idea, I tend to get very obsessed with it, and I may not realize it as I'm writing it, but when I re-read, I figure out that even though the event may not be the same word to word, but the flow of the story goes in the same direction.
In both of the cases, for example, I've had the main character as a girl who is around 15 years of age. Her life in normal, comparing it to any other teenage girl. Now if both my main characters begin to react the same way to similar situations, that's where the problem is. And since both the charcters think what I think (I write them in first person) everything goes wrong.

message 21: by Apoorva (new)

Apoorva Tuesday- 1543 words
Wednesday- 1000 words

message 22: by Apoorva (new)

Apoorva Thursday- 150 words

message 23: by Apoorva (new)

Apoorva Okay....so this is the other story I'm writing... It's called "A Typical Girl Thing"
It basically has this guy and this girl, both aged fifteen, and go for hiphop. Simple thing, fall for each other, go out.
The guy's called Ron, and the girl's Ashley.
So Ashley comes around hearing this rumor that Ron's cheating on her. She mistakes a few incidents for evidence, and breaks up with him.
Two days down, and Ashley's life is torn apart, and she's thinking along the lines of suicide.
Things get worse, and somehow or the other, Ashley always finds herself stuck with Ron. She tries to run away, but she knows it too well, that she is really getting to nowhere if she doesn't clear out things with Ron. But she doesn't want to do that.
A week down, and Ashley has a stalker, her best friend isn't talking to her, and she's snogged Ron once when she was drunk, AFTER having broken up with him, and her family doesn't understand her.
And Ashley doesn't know what the hell she's gonna do.

I found some random pictures that I thought fit my characters just right.
The following is for Ashley...I know its Kristen Bell....but if she was 15, she'd be perfect.
http://www.thetailsection.com/Image/0...

This one's Ron
http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/v229/1715...

message 24: by Apoorva (new)

Apoorva Words yesterday- 50
So maybe....that sucks....it was only like, a paragraph, but I really couldn't fish out more time

message 25: by Apoorva (new)

Apoorva Sunday- 896 words

message 26: by Apoorva (new)

Apoorva Monday- 1296 words

message 27: by Anne (new)

Anne (mekone) | 225 comments 50 words in a paragraph is better than no words at all! And you have really picked upp speed since.

It sounds like Ashley has a very complicated week ahead of her. Happy writing!

message 28: by Apoorva (new)

Apoorva Ah, well.
I know.
50 words isn't too much.
But I can make up for it.
Because my writing doesn't go at a uniform speed. And I don't have any particular time for it either.
It's just whenever I feel like it, so it isn't always around the same number of words.
Anyway,
So on Tuesday, I had like nothing to do. So I was writing all the time. I got to 1472 words, as far as I remember.
Then Yesterday was 257 words. That was basically like a page by hand. I know, not too much, but then, I wrote.
And as for now, Ashley isn't feeling too well.

message 29: by Apoorva (new)

Apoorva Friday- 4th September, 2009
Worked on- A Typical Girl Thing, Chapter 7
Words Written- 120

message 30: by Apoorva (new)

Apoorva Saturday- 5th September, 2009
Worked On- A Typical Girl Thing, Chapter 7.
Words Written- 1683

Sunday- 6th September, 2009
Worked on- A Typical Girl Thing, End of Chapter 7
Words Written- 1542

message 31: by Apoorva (new)

Apoorva Monday- 7th September, 2009
Worked On- A Typical Girl Thing, Chapter 8.
Words Written- 872

Tuesday- 8th September, 2009
Worked on- A Typical Girl Thing, End of Chapter 8
Words Written- 107

message 32: by Apoorva (new)

Apoorva Wednesday- 8th September, 2009
Worked on- A Typical Girl Thing, Chapter eight
Words written- 112

So...yes. I know I haven't been writing much. But then I have this major crisis. I am dead obsessed with Ron, that's the lead guy character, and so I just don't feel like writing the section that I have to, because it doesn't have any Ron in it. And plus, I had this MAJOR language test on Thursday, so I have been studying.
A LOT.

Thursday- 9th September, 2009
Worked On- A Typical Girl Thing.
So I cheated. I didn't really write any chapter in particular. It might have been the epilogue, though, but it did have a lot of Ron in it.
Words Written- 212

message 33: by Apoorva (new)

Apoorva Friday- 11th September, 2009
Worked on- A Typical Girl Thing, End of Chapter 9
Words Written- 1007

message 34: by Apoorva (new)

Apoorva Saturday- 12th September, 2009
Worked on- Draft summary of The Sleepwalker
Words Written- 704

Sunday- 13th September, 2009
Worked on- A Typical Girl Thing, Chapter nine.
Words written- 110

message 35: by Apoorva (new)

Apoorva Monday- 13th September, 2009
Worked On- A Typical Girl Thing, Chapter 9.
Words Written- Okay, so I had to absolutely stretch it to get it till here, I was half asleep anyway, but I did it!!! -101

message 36: by Apoorva (new)

Apoorva Tuesday- 14th September, 2009
Worked On- A Typical Girl Thing, End of Chapter 9 (finally) and revised summary of The Sleepwalker. Detailed the sketch.
Words Written- Okay, so the summary was roughly 123 words, as far as I counted. Then The End of Chapter nine was like 1027 words.

message 37: by Anne (new)

Anne (mekone) | 225 comments Hi there, how are you? How's A Typical Girl Thing coming along, is it finished or are you still adding chapters?