2018 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2017 Personal Challenges > Alex's 2017 Reading Challenge

Comments (showing 1-28 of 28) (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 25 comments After being in a reading slump for a while I have finally started to read again! I've decided to just challenge myself to 20 books this year.

message 2: by Alexandra (last edited Jul 07, 2017 07:54PM) (new)

Alexandra | 25 comments Miss Marple's Final Cases by Agatha ChristieMiss Marple's Final Cases

I've been wanting to read Agatha Christie's novels for a while and what better way than short stories. Really enjoyed all of them and hopefully Agatha Christie will make another appearance on this list!

1/20

message 3: by Alexandra (last edited Jul 21, 2017 07:45PM) (new)

Alexandra | 25 comments Elixir (Elixir, #1) by Hilary DuffElixir

I bought this when it first came out because Hilary Duff was my idol growing up, it was better than I thought it was going to be, but I also have no desire to read the other 2 books.

2/20

message 4: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 25 comments Always Emily by Michaela MacCollAlways Emily

A quick and enjoyable read.

3/20

message 5: by Alexandra (last edited Aug 06, 2017 10:05AM) (new)

Alexandra | 25 comments Sweet Little Lies (L.A. Candy, #2) by Lauren ConradSweet Little Lies

OK, not gonna lie I technically didn't read all of it, I read till I had about 100 pages left and then skimmed till the end.
It's awful, definitely not going to finish the series even though I own the 2nd book.

4/20

message 6: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 25 comments Red Queen (Red Queen, #1) by Victoria AveyardRed Queen

Really enjoyed this book, probably would've enjoyed it more if I didn't find out about the plot twist though.

5/20

message 7: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 25 comments The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenThe Fault in Our Stars

Not as bad as people say it is, but not as good as other people say it is. All in all, an enjoyable read.

6/20

message 8: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 25 comments Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) by Laini TaylorDaughter of Smoke & Bone

Really, really enjoyed this, much more than I was expecting.

7/20

message 9: by Alexandra (last edited Sep 04, 2017 03:03PM) (new)

Alexandra | 25 comments Briar Rose by Jane YolenBriar Rose

Read this earlier this year. It was alright, a lot of irrelevant stuff that wasn't needed and slowed the book down. It felt like the author had the main, most important parts of the book (which were the good parts) and in order to reach her word count she added stuff that really wasn't needed. Doesn't romanticize Nazi's which I appreciated considering some the of the recent books/movies coming out.

8/20

message 10: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 25 comments The Bone Season (The Bone Season, #1) by Samantha ShannonThe Bone Season

I really enjoyed this book - don't know how I feel with it being a 7 book series which will take till about 2025 to finish though.

9/20

message 11: by Alexandra (last edited Sep 07, 2017 07:01AM) (new)

Alexandra | 25 comments The Girl Who Lied by Uché OkonkwoThe Girl Who Lied

Listened to the audio book. It was a quick read (only about 1 hour), quite enjoyable.

10/20

message 12: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 25 comments Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1) by Stephanie PerkinsAnna and the French Kiss

Quick read, and I liked it much more than I thought I would, considering how morally grey the situation is.

11/20

message 13: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 25 comments An Inspector Calls by J.B. PriestleyAn Inspector Calls

Loved it, the play is brilliant as well.

12/20

message 14: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 25 comments Cat Among the Pigeons (Hercule Poirot, #32) by Agatha ChristieCat Among the Pigeons

Good read, quite a few characters so it can get confusing at times, but I really enjoyed the read.

13/20

message 15: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 25 comments Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineElla Enchanted

I have wanted to read this for years and finally found a copy in the charity shop. It was a quick and cute read!

14/20

message 16: by Alexandra (last edited Nov 13, 2017 11:45AM) (new)

Alexandra | 25 comments Soundless by Richelle MeadSoundless

FINALLY!!!

Such a pretty cover for such a meh book. It just felt like nothing was happening, like watching a CW show and each new chapter was after a commercial break.

15/20

message 17: by Ilona, Welcome Committee (new)

Ilona | 1411 comments Alexandra wrote: "Such a pretty cover for such a meh book. It just felt like nothing was happening, like watching a CW show and each new chapter w..."

I am sorry to hear that. Hopefully you like your next book better! :)

message 18: by Alexandra (last edited Nov 27, 2017 01:40PM) (new)

Alexandra | 25 comments Listened to 'To Die For' by Alice Clark-Platts. It was good, reminds me of the real-life case of someone convincing their boyfriend to commit suicide. Warning though, there is an attempted rape at the end of the book.

16/20

message 19: by Alexandra (last edited Dec 14, 2017 01:38AM) (new)

Alexandra | 25 comments The Wave by Morton RhueThe Wave

It was an alright book, covered quite a few things people miss when learning about Nazism, but also simplify's the issue. Also there is a character named Deutsch.

17/20

message 20: by Susy (new)

Susy | 4216 comments You're almost there Alex, just 3 more books to go to reach your goal for this year! I wish you good luck and hope that they'll be awesome reads!

message 21: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 25 comments Susy wrote: "You're almost there Alex, just 3 more books to go to reach your goal for this year! I wish you good luck and hope that they'll be awesome reads!"

Thank You ♥ Hopefully I will achieve my goal!

message 22: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 25 comments Witch Child (Witch Child, #1) by Celia ReesWitch Child

Started out good, got reeaaaaallllllllyyyyyyyy boring in the middle and then picked up again at the end,

18/20

message 23: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 25 comments My True Love Gave to Me Twelve Holiday Stories by Stephanie PerkinsMy True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories

Really good short stories perfect for Christmas :)

19/20

message 24: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 25 comments Christmas Ever After by Sarah MorganChristmas Ever After

Just a quick, fluffy but also slightly angsty Christmas read, I read in 2 days so nothing really spectacular happens, as can be expected with these books.

20/20

message 25: by Alexandra (last edited Dec 30, 2017 04:39AM) (new)

Alexandra | 25 comments Carrie by Stephen KingCarrie

Really enjoyed this.

21/20

message 26: by Susy (new)

Susy | 4216 comments Alexandra wrote: "Christmas Ever After by Sarah MorganChristmas Ever After ...
20/20"

Congratulations on reaching your goal Alexandra!

message 27: by Ilona, Welcome Committee (new)

Ilona | 1411 comments Yay! Congrats! :)

message 28: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 25 comments Ilona wrote: "Yay! Congrats! :)"

Susy wrote: "Alexandra wrote: "Christmas Ever After by Sarah MorganChristmas Ever After ...
20/20"

Congratulations on reaching your goal Alexandra!"

Thank You ♥