PHS Summer Challenge discussion

Points - Nichols

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (last edited Aug 03, 2009 09:18PM) (new)

Jenny (jdawgnichols) | 8 comments I shouldn't do this and give away my awesomeness...but I figure I'll give you some time to catch up to me.

Follow My Leader by James Garfield favorite book in 5th grade (5 points)
--This book is the book that got me reading. I loved it then and it is still a great story.

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe
Legacy of the Lehr by Katherine Kurtz two books by authors with the first name Katherine (25 points)
--Deliverance Dane is a different take on Salem Witch Trial stuff. It was good, but didn't have enough fantasy for me.
--Legacy of the Lehr is by one of my favorite authors but I didn't love this book. Too predictable.

The Losers by David Eddings
The Postman by David Brin two books by authors with the first name David (25 points)
--The Losers was a real let down for me. Was in the SciFi/Fantasy section but really was neither.
--The Postman was the book for a book club with PHS students. It was actually very interesting. A bit of what would happen after a global war with breakdown in technology and communication. Haven't seen the movie yet, but heard it wasn't very good.

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead recommended to me by sister (15 points)
Frost Bite by Richelle Mead recommended to me by sister (15 points)
Shadow Kiss by Richelle Mead recommended to me by sister (15 points)
--These three are part of a series about high school vampires. My sister thought I would like them and I did. I liked these a lot more than the PC Cast ones I read earlier this year.

The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley recommended by my brother, sister, and sister-in-law (15 points)
--My siblings knew I would like this and they were right. Great story in an interesting place.

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris recommended by sister (15 points)
--Another Vampire book. This is the first of the books that the HBO show True Blood is based on. Different from the show, but still quite enjoyable.

Okay that brings my current total to: 130 points

I've read one more book, but it doesn't fit a category yet...I need to read another book for it to work. I will do so. Happy reading!

message 2: by Jenny (last edited Aug 25, 2009 10:15PM) (new)

Jenny (jdawgnichols) | 8 comments Okay, just finished The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. Recommended to me by everyone I know who has read it. Though most of my friends LOVED it, I liked it but didn't think it was as wonderful as they made it out to seem.

Another 15 points

Total: 145 points

message 3: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jdawgnichols) | 8 comments Finished Living Dead in Dallas by Charlaine Harris (book 2 of the books that True Blood is based on) Recommended by my sister (15 points)

Still enjoying the books, but I think I like the way the TV writers decided to adapt them more.

Total: 160 points

message 4: by Jenny (last edited Sep 03, 2009 07:40PM) (new)

Jenny (jdawgnichols) | 8 comments Finished Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick recommended by my brother (15 points)

Good stuff...much better than Blade Runner which was loosely based on this book.

Also finished Blood Promise by Richelle Mead recommended by my sister (15 points)

This was the 4th in the Vampire Academy series. Nice follow up to the others and left me wanting more.

Total points: 190