What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Non-Fiction > SOLVED. Cookbook, circa 1950, Better Homes or Good Housekeeping

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 06, 2017 08:22AM) (new)

Hi. Trying to find a copy of the cookbook my mother used. Published just a few years prior to 1952, when she received it as a wedding present. Hardcover, solid red, fabric-like texture, as I remember, colored illustrations. NOT three-ring binder. Most distinctive recipe I can recall is something like "Refrigerator Rolls" in the Yeast Breads section, and this recipe calls for mashed potatoes. Best rolls in the world, and I will share the recipe with anyone who can help me out!

Would like publisher, publication date, ISBN, if any. Any assistance appreciated. Thanks very much.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 13576 comments Mod
Is the recipe something like this?
http://www.bhg.com/recipe/rolls/potat...

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 06, 2017 08:08AM) (new)

Kris wrote: "Is the recipe something like this?
http://www.bhg.com/recipe/rolls/potat..."

Hi, Kris. Sort of, but these rolls go in the refrigerator overnight for the first rise and the recipe makes 4 dozen or so. Those were the days of big families!

But you have given me a clue that it's likely BHG. Thanks. This recipe is one of many I'd like to have again.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

SOLVED. SKU 0201821. VINTAGE 1949 The Good housekeeping Cookbook Illustrated HC 1014 PAGES. Wouldn't you know it. I don't know why I couldn't find it before!

Thanks!!

message 5: by Rosa (last edited Jul 06, 2017 02:02PM) (new)

Rosa (RosaIglarsh) | 1847 comments Even though I didn't help find your book...could I have the recipe anyway? :)
Also, to take this out of the Unsolved folder, click "edit" on top of this page and move this to the "SOLVED--Nonfiction" or "SOLVED--Other" folder.

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 06, 2017 03:27PM) (new)

@ Rosa I have a newer version The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook maybe you can get a current copy from the library or something. Refrigerator Pan Rolls are in here. "Dough, made ahead and refrigerated, then shaped into balls and let rise before baking. 30 rolls; 6 hours" Summarizing, it says to cover in a warm space until doubled. Punch down dough. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until ready to use, punching down dough occasionally.
ut-oh no potatoes in this recipe. so my post is pointless.

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 06, 2017 05:44PM) (new)

Corinne wrote: "@ Rosa I have a newer version The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook maybe you can get a current copy from the library or something. Refrigerator Pan Rolls are in here. "Dough, m..."

Rosa wrote: "Even though I didn't help find your book...could I have the recipe anyway? :)
Also, to take this out of the Unsolved folder, click "edit" on top of this page and move this to the "SOLVED--Nonfictio..."

Corinne and Rosa, I will certainly post the recipe for you if you'll tell me the best place? Media post, so probably 10 days or so before it arrives. Honestly, the simplest and most melt in your mouth rolls you've ever had. And thanks for the tip, Rosa, I wasn't sure.

message 8: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (RosaIglarsh) | 1847 comments Oh, thanks! You could post it here, or message me.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Rosa wrote: "Oh, thanks! You could post it here, or message me."

:^) Happy to!

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 14, 2017 08:44AM) (new)

Rosa wrote: "Oh, thanks! You could post it here, or message me."

Corinne wrote: "@ Rosa I have a newer version The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook maybe you can get a current copy from the library or something. Refrigerator Pan Rolls are in here. "Dough, m..."

Kris wrote: "Is the recipe something like this?
http://www.bhg.com/recipe/rolls/potat..."

Thank you, and as promised:

Refrigerator Rolls De Luxe

[Note: Bonus! I forgot these are no-knead! Brackets are my notes, parentheses are from book.]

The Good Housekeeping Cookbook, 1949, p. 470

1 pkg. dry or compressed yeast
1/2 c. lukewarm water
1/2 c. butter or margarine, softened
1/2 c. shortening, softened
3/4 c. granulated sugar
1 c. hot mashed potatoes [peeled
and unseasoned, just mashed with
manual masher, remove eyes
from potatoes]
1 c. cold water
1 1/2 tsp. salt
About 6-6 1/2 cups sifted all-
purpose flour

[Additional butter or oil to brush rolls when shaping.]

Sprinkle yeast in lukewarm water in large bowl. Let stand 5-10 minutes until thoroughly dissolved [I guess they mean "proofed."] Stir up; stir in next 4 ingredients. Add cold water, salt, and enough flour to make stiff dough. Grease dough with oil, cover with waxed paper and towel. Store in refrigerator 24 hours; turn out desired amount on to floured board. (Return rest to refrigerator, covered; dough will keep 2-3 days.) Shape as desired. [We always just made balls slightly smaller than ping pong balls, no need to tuck and stretch them into balls as you would a kneaded dough, you know what I mean, this dough will not develop the surface tension a kneaded dough would.] Place in very lightly greased or parchmented pan. Brush with oil [we used melted butter, lightly dipped the top of each ball of dough before putting them in pan]; cover with towel. Let rise in warm place (80-85 degs. F.) until double in bulk. Bake in hot oven of 425 degs. F. 20-25 min., or until done. Makes 3 doz.

[Note: We never used shortening in dough, all butter. If you heat up leftovers, you'll find they are delicious, but not as tender as day baked.)

[Note 2: We packed these pretty tight, touching, in a 9x13 pan, and maybe there was still enough dough to make enough rolls to fill a round cake pan. Packing then closely means you get a soft, not huge, tender-sided roll with a pretty crisp top and bottom, and they rise very nicely, supporting each other. When done, they will be a medium brown, these aren't a pale roll.]

[Note 3: Had a typo; I originally had "store ON refrigerator. " That would give you the dough that ate Manhattan!]

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

TY and congrats on finding your recipe. :)

message 12: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (RosaIglarsh) | 1847 comments Thank you!

message 13: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 25, 2017 11:02AM) (new)

Virginia, I was looking in a BC cookbook this weekend and I came across their version of the mashed potato roll. I scanned it and uploaded to my profile in case you want to take a peak https://www.goodreads.com/photo/user/...

Let me know when your done so I can delete from my profile.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Corinne wrote: "Virginia, I was looking in a BC cookbook this weekend and I came across their version of the mashed potato roll. I scanned it and uploaded to my profile in case you want to take a peak https://www...."

Fantastic! Thanks! Whole wheat, fabulous!

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Virginia wrote: " Fantastic! Thanks! Whole wheat, fabulous! "

awesome glad your happy.