World, Writing, Wealth discussion

All Things Writing & Publishing > Selling how many books would make you happy?

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 7775 comments Read somewhere that rarely a book ever sells more than 500 copies. There are exceptions, of course. 500 isn't that much, but it's still selling, say - 10 books a month for over 4 years.
The more the better, of course, but how many sold books would be a desired minimum for you?

message 2: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan | 3270 comments Around 8K to 10K per year is what I'm aiming for.

message 3: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 1006 comments *feels greedy* I'd like to see multiple thousands sold in one day.

2 million total seems to be the number associated with best sellers' bragging rights.

message 4: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan | 3270 comments Of course, more than 10K per year would be welcomed too.

message 5: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Cunegan (JDCunegan) | 50 comments Enough to make it feel like my voice is actually being heard.

message 6: by J.N. (new)

J.N. Bedout (jndebedout) | 96 comments I'm channeling my inner Dr. Evil when I say that... 1 million books per year would make me happy. Yes, indeed.

message 7: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan | 3270 comments Would that be priced for a $1 royalty per book...

message 8: by J.N. (new)

J.N. Bedout (jndebedout) | 96 comments Somebody assured me once that it was healthy to have unattainable goals.

message 9: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 7775 comments Nice appetites here. Not that millions haven't been sold in the past..
Hope you become very happy soon -:)

message 10: by E.P. (new)

E.P. | 66 comments I calculated I would need to sell around 2000 books/month to live off my writing. In the past 30 days I have sold 19 books. I guess I've got some work to do!

By the way, hi everyone! I've been AWOL for a while and may go AWOL again, but I thought I'd drop by.

message 11: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 7775 comments Hey E.P., welcome back, we've been missing you!
Selling 2 books in 3 days, not bad as it is, doesn't justify disappearing for that long -:)

message 12: by E.P. (new)

E.P. | 66 comments Thanks! Hopefully I'll be able to participate some for a while. I've actually had (and still have) some pretty serious health problems that have forced me to cut way back on lots of things, including things you'd think would be easy but actually take a lot of energy, like participating in online forums and groups.

But anyway, okay, when you put it like that, yes, 2 books every 3 days isn't so bad :) Most of them I sold at a discount during a promotional event, however. I also had several books' worth of KENP read, so I'm waiting to see how much that will turn out to be. Still a very long way from actually making money off this, but I'm hoping that once I have more titles out there, I will sell more titles! And I have to remind myself that Dick Francis, for example, didn't quit his day job until he'd (traditionally) published half-a-dozen novels. Publishing is not normally a get-rich-quick scheme, even for the eventual bestsellers.

message 13: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 7775 comments Regret to hear about health problems, E.P. Really hope you'll be completely well soonest.

Reminiscing back when we'd last talked sales, I think your current sales' pace is remarkably better than it used to be. Well done!

message 14: by E.P. (new)

E.P. | 66 comments Yes, I've had a little flurry! But if I don't promote, sales go completely flat.

Hope everyone's sales grow exponentially and we all hit the bestseller charts! Or--more realistically in the short term--see our sales double next month :)

message 15: by Philip (new)

Philip (Phenweb) | 574 comments One a day would be nice. Five a day like fruit and veg would be good for my health! After various flurries a few years back its less than that but I live in hope. Been re-editing current rather than writing new but need to get back to new.

In the end sales are what they are regardless of what I'd like.