Play Book Tag discussion

July 2017: Award Winners > Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chili (new)

Chili Hanson (chilipinkcat) | 98 comments Won the Book Editors' Choice Award for Adult Book 2012
Ugh! Set in rural Tennessee, the story starts with Dellarobia Turnbow heading up the mountain for an illicit rendezvous with hot telephone man Jimmy. When she reaches the top the valley appears to be on fire but it isn't. It's full of butterflies. She convinces her in-laws and husband to go look over the mountain before they have it clear cut. Word of the butterflies gets out bringing people from all over, including Dr. Byron. The Dr. comes to study the Monarchs. Wintering in Tennessee is not natural for the migratory butterflies. This is the most interesting part of the story. Dellarobia's relationship with husband and his family is boring. I really didn't like her. I wouldn't vote for this book for any award. The only thing I found interesting was the science.

message 2: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1588 comments Well that's too bad

message 3: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (DrNicoleR) | 3628 comments That is too bad! I liked this one, but I do climate communication for my job and I was really taken by the intersection of climate change and the socio-economic context of Appalachia. We often struggle with how to make people care who do not have the luxury of making more climate-conscience yet more expensive life choices.

In my line of work, we often say that being proactive about climate change is a luxury of the upper-middle class.

message 4: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (Tstan) | 703 comments I liked this one- it was a bit too long, but the science and the Appalachian socioeconomics were interesting. I also was both fascinated and appalled at the relationships. Sorry you didn't like it!

message 5: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 425 comments I love Barbara Kingsolver's writing but reviews for this one seem to be all over the map.

message 6: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 4836 comments Chili wrote: "Won the Book Editors' Choice Award for Adult Book 2012
Ugh! Set in rural Tennessee, the story starts with Dellarobia Turnbow heading up the mountain for an illicit rendezvous with hot telephone ..."

I'm not a fan of Kingsolver at all so this is yet another book I won't be reading by her, lol. She lost me with The Poisonwood Bible, and I could never bring myself to read another one of her books after that.

message 7: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 3921 comments I loved this one, but I'm big on environmental stuff.