Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie discussion

The Writing Process > New Typeface...

Comments (showing 1-17 of 17) (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Theodore (last edited Jul 04, 2017 09:18AM) (new)

Theodore Cohen (TheodoreJeromeCohen) | 1194 comments I was reading Romney & Romney’s “Printer's Error: An Irreverent History of Books” the other day when, in Chapter 10, I came across a great discussion of THE DOVES TYPE® in Chapter 10. Here’s the URL for the Romneys’ book; you can read more about the typeface in the figure I’ve posted below, the URL for which is listed beneath that of the Romney’s book.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R1R64OG/...

https://typespec.co.uk/doves-type/

Suffice it to say, this is one of the most beautiful typefaces I’ve yet to see, and I simply had to have it for my book of flash fiction, which I hope to release in January, 2018. I’ve used a variety of typefaces in my various novels, anthologies, and children’s books—usually Georgia for the adult books and Segoe Print for the children’s—but none has excited me as much as DOVES. It’s simply a classic that provides an elegance to the text I’ve not seen in a long time among the many books in my collection. Alas, it won’t be possible to reproduce this beautiful typeface in the Kindle edition, but still, those purchasing the paperback edition will, I hope, appreciate the flowing lines and structures of this type.

photo Doves Type Description2_zpsgxepukxu.jpg

message 2: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman | 3823 comments Mod
pretty

message 3: by Theodore (new)

Theodore Cohen (TheodoreJeromeCohen) | 1194 comments Carole wrote: "pretty"

I like the classic look. At this point, I want to try something different, experiment a little. I love typefaces...there are a zillion out there. Always fun to find a new one that seems "just right" for this or that application. Was thrilled when I discovered Segoe Print while doing my illustrated children's books.

Have a great Fourth.

message 4: by Carole (new)

what surprised me was learning that different genres have different typeface styles

message 5: by Theodore (last edited Jul 04, 2017 10:49AM) (new)

Theodore Cohen (TheodoreJeromeCohen) | 1194 comments Carole wrote: "what surprised me was learning that different genres have different typeface styles"

If you mean in the case of my books, I wanted something for children that made it easier for them to read at the K-3 level. The letter forms in Segoe Print are simple and without the embellishments of a cursive script (The typeface is san-serif). Nice, simple, clean. It's probably on you computer.

In the Kindle edition, of course, I had to use something more pedestrian. Very limited, there, to be sure.

message 6: by Erica (new)

Erica Graham (erica_graham) | 1351 comments Mod
I use the Segoe font family as well for the same reason. :) Great minds!

message 7: by Theodore (last edited Jul 21, 2017 07:00AM) (new)

Theodore Cohen (TheodoreJeromeCohen) | 1194 comments Erica wrote: "I use the Segoe font family as well for the same reason. :) Great minds!"

Yes, much easier for small children to read, for sure.

Regarding fonts, I read an interesting piece on The DOVES FONT, which has a long and storied history (how the metal typeface ended up at the bottom of the River Thames is something you will find interesting).

https://typespec.co.uk/doves-type/

In any event, I purchased the digital reconstruction and am using it for my new book of Flash Fiction that will be published in January, 2018.

Lastly, for my novels, I use Georgia.

message 8: by Erica (new)

Erica Graham (erica_graham) | 1351 comments Mod
I read A Brief History of the Doves Press Type as well. Very interesting! I am glad they were able to recover many of the metal sorts.

message 9: by Anita (new)

Anita Dickason (anitadickason) | 170 comments Wow, that is a beautiful font and am going to add it to my collection. Thanks for the post.

I am always on the search for new ones for both the interior of a book, but also the cover. When I design a cover, the font is as important as the image. It needs to speak to the title and the genre. That probably won't make sense to anyone but it is how I view the design.

I have researched quite a number of font sites and these are my two favorites. Many are free for commercial use.

https://www.fontsquirrel.com/
https://fontbundles.net/

message 10: by Theodore (last edited Jul 21, 2017 08:08AM) (new)

Theodore Cohen (TheodoreJeromeCohen) | 1194 comments Anita wrote: "Wow, that is a beautiful font and am going to add it to my collection. Thanks for the post.

I am always on the search for new ones for both the interior of a book, but also the cover. When I desi..."

I love typefaces...and there are endless varieties. It's even possible to play tricks within them. On one of my book's covers, I substituted a knife for the letter "I" in one word.

message 11: by Carole (new)

Pretty.

message 12: by Theodore (new)

Theodore Cohen (TheodoreJeromeCohen) | 1194 comments Carole wrote: "Pretty."

Thanks! I design my own covers...always have, including the selection of the typefaces, a job I'm particularly fond of.

message 13: by Carole (new)

Creative

message 14: by Theodore (new)

Theodore Cohen (TheodoreJeromeCohen) | 1194 comments Carole wrote: "Creative"

I just love doing that kind of stuff. Used to do it as part of my work anyway (design proposal covers).

message 15: by Jon (new)

Jon Stubbington | 28 comments That's a really interesting read about The Doves Type. Thanks for sharing.

Not wanting to 'blogwhack' this thread but, coincidentally, I just released a new blog post on typography and book covers. If anyone is looking for something else to read about type then this is a basic look at some of the things that I think about when picking a typeface: https://www.jonstubbington.com/2017/0...

Anita wrote: "When I design a cover, the font is as important as the image. It needs to speak to the title and the genre."

I couldn't agree more, Anita. The font used is so important, as it needs to communicate quickly to your audience and convey so much more than just the title itself (or the author's name).

message 16: by Theodore (new)

Theodore Cohen (TheodoreJeromeCohen) | 1194 comments Jon wrote: "That's a really interesting read about The Doves Type. Thanks for sharing.

Not wanting to 'blogwhack' this thread but, coincidentally, I just released a new blog post on typography and book covers..."

Jon, that's a great introduction you posted. I hope the gang takes a few seconds to read it.

message 17: by Jon (new)

Jon Stubbington | 28 comments Theodore wrote: "Jon, that's a great introduction you posted..."

Thank you very much. I appreciate that.