The Catholic Book Club discussion

The Coat Without Seam
This topic is about The Coat Without Seam
The Coat Without Seam > 7. Ask the Author a Question.

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new) - added it

John | 1030 comments Mod
7. If you could ask the author a question, what would you ask?

Manuel Alfonseca | 485 comments Mod
I wonder whether the author assigned intentionally the names of several secondary characters, such as "Altamura" (High walls in Italian), "Wildenspruch" (Wild sentence, or wild jugement in German), "Turçin" (a Servo-Croatian word for Turk), "Sackbut" (a wind instrument), "Suckling" or "Lawless." In fact, some of them seem appropriate to their behavior. Altamura, for instance, is like a high wall enclosing Mrs. D'Alberg.

message 3: by Fonch (last edited Jul 11, 2017 04:23AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fonch | 460 comments Unfortunatelly we cannot do spritism, and the author will not answer our questions. But i would be strange, because Baring was a very cult, and intelligent man. He was a member of the Diplomatic Group in England for this reason he knows the world of Embassy. When Cecil Chesterton died in the first World War he was who let Chesterton traveled, and he looked the Cecil`s corpse. Besidesdiference with Evelyn Waugh Baring was a member of the nobility he was the third son of Revelstoke Duke. I was discussing with my friend Alfonseca. I consider to Benson and Baring the precursor of this kind of novel, without them. There would not be "Brideshead Revisited". It is really curious because Baring was the first who try tto write a inside catholic novel. It is a difference respect Mary Humphry Ward, who in C.S. Lewis`s opinion she was of the borest writers he had read her. PD. Baring was one of the first person, who know the conversion of G.K. Chesterton, before than Hilaire Belloc.

message 4: by Jill (new)

Jill A. | 305 comments I'd like to know whether Antoinette Altamura ever found the faith she longed for and saw/hoped for as a glimmer of light.

Fonch | 460 comments Jill wrote: "I'd like to know whether Antoinette Altamura ever found the faith she longed for and saw/hoped for as a glimmer of light."

I think that this question only we will be able to know when we met with Baring in the Heaven.

Manuel Alfonseca | 485 comments Mod
A short comment while I'm on vacation with a bad Internet connection:

I'd like to know how Spence got to know Annette and why their meeting put an end to her relation with Christopher. This is never explained in the book, and I think it should have been.

Fonch | 460 comments Manuel wrote: "A short comment while I'm on vacation with a bad Internet connection:

I'd like to know how Spence got to know Annette and why their meeting put an end to her relation with Christopher. This is nev..."

I miss a lot my dear friend. The idea that i have is that Spence knew this woman. He knows that her reputation is awful, and he wanted to avoid a harm to his friend Trevenen. At least this is my theory.

message 8: by John (new) - added it

John | 1030 comments Mod
Manuel wrote: "A short comment while I'm on vacation with a bad Internet connection:

I'd like to know how Spence got to know Annette and why their meeting put an end to her relation with Christopher. This is nev..."

I had the same thought, Manuel. I suspected she was either a con artist or a prostitute who had previously had dealings with Spence. She saw Spence and figured the risk was too high to continue with Christopher. Spence doesn't tell Christopher because it would be too embarrassing. Or Spence goes to Annette and threatens to expose her if she doesn't leave. But in any case I agree, it would have been nice to know.

My question would have been to explain how Christopher, who seems like a terse, generally unpleasant fellow, ends up charming any woman who attracts his interest. That is very different from my experience. ;-)

Fonch | 460 comments John wrote: "Manuel wrote: "A short comment while I'm on vacation with a bad Internet connection:

I'd like to know how Spence got to know Annette and why their meeting put an end to her relation with Christoph..."

I totaly agree in this comment John.