The Coat Without Seam
This topic is about The Coat Without Seam
The Coat Without Seam > 3. Discuss the plot

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new) - added it

John | 1060 comments Mod
3. Discuss the plot:
• Is it engaging—do you find the story interesting?
• Is this a plot-driven book—a fast-paced page-turner?
• Does the plot unfold slowly with a focus on character?
• Were you surprised by complications, twists & turns?
• Did you find the plot predictable, even formulaic?

Manuel Alfonseca | 504 comments Mod
I was surprised that Christopher was so seductive for women that whenever he tried to establish a liaison, his love was returned. In fact, sometimes the woman speaks first :-) I think in real life this is usually not the case, especially when there are so many women (five) because all of the love stories have a sad end, as in this novel.

The author never explains what happened to Annette, why Spence knew her, and why she disappeared after meeting him. The reader can have surmises, but there are no certainties.

message 3: by Jill (new)

Jill A. | 311 comments Direct communication would have prevented so many misunderstandings, especially with Esther! He hasn't seen his fiancée for months (longer?) and all he can think of to say is to ask her how the Channel crossing was? And why didn't she seek to be alone with him right away?
I also got impatient with the games he and Mme. D'Alberg kept playing. It seems cruel of her to say she still/will always love him but "had to" marry Carlo. There's not a healthy romance/marriage in this book, except maybe the Claydons, and we usually see only one of them at a time.

Fonch | 466 comments Jill wrote: "Direct communication would have prevented so many misunderstandings, especially with Esther! He hasn't seen his fiancée for months (longer?) and all he can think of to say is to ask her how the Cha..."

In this question i totally agree. I did not like the game of Madame D`Alberg, but i have to believe that he married with Carlo, for avaoiding the jealous nature of the last, and she avoided a crime. I think that he could report to the police station. She did not do anything inmoral marriying with Trevenen.

message 5: by John (new) - added it

John | 1060 comments Mod
I agree with what everyone's said. As sour a character as Christopher appears to be, he seems to have a strong magnetism for many women (including all those to whom he is attracted).

I thought Christopher should have asked Madame D'Alberg to marry him before deciding to stay in Rome. If the relationship is that important, make sure it is reciprocated before committing.

Fonch | 466 comments John wrote: "I agree with what everyone's said. As sour a character as Christopher appears to be, he seems to have a strong magnetism for many women (including all those to whom he is attracted).

I thought Chr..."

In the case of Madame D`Alberg despite she felt an atraction for Christopher Trevenen. I had the impression that she had resistance to marry with Trevenen. For D`Alberg was the Trevenen`s last train to be happy, before to meet with the Coat without seam, and meet with his final destiny. I think that the fear of D`Alberg to marry with Trevenen is that his friends get angry with Trevenen, especially Altamura. Other character Blance prince of Rocapalumba the main character "Cat in the cradle" married with an italian prince, and she has a lot of problems. In Spain this novel was translated "The Princess White/Blanche".