1. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

2. The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins

3. The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

4. Animal Farm by George Orwell

5. The Color Purple by Alice Walker

6. Dune by Frank Herbert

7. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

8. Winnie-the-Pooh by A. A. Milne

The Count of Monte Cristo, I love that book. I remember reading it for the first time and wondering how in the world they were able to abridge it. I could think of nothing worth taking out, as everything all leads to the end. Read it.

I've also read Jane Eyre, Great Expectations, and The Woman in White. Jane Eyre is probably my third favorite classic after Pride and Prejudice and The Count of Monte Cristo. I love its atmosphere and its story. There is just something about Jane. I've read The Woman in White once, a long while ago, but I remember it being very good. I really need to go back and read it. Dickens is always hit or miss with me. I wasn't impressed by Great Expectations.

The rest I know of but have never read. I do need to read Animal Farm so perhaps that is the one I will try tackling.

What are your thoughts on this month's selections? Let us know in the comments!

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (ann-fracturedfiction) | 297 comments I've read 4 of the 10: Jane Eyre, The Color Purple, Dune, and Winnie-the-Pooh. I don't think I've read The Woman in White, but I have read The Moonstone (also by Collins) and enjoyed it. I'm glad I can say that I've read Dune, but it is not something I will be rereading any time soon (I went to the used bookstore- bought all 6 Dune books and read them in one summer, and then returned all 6 books to the used bookstore).

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 40 comments I have read all this month's books in the past except The Woman in White. I'm sure that if I choose to re-read them, that I would have a much different perspective in my late 30's than I did when I read them in my teen's and early 20's.

message 4: by Jodie (new)

Jodie Reha | 88 comments I've read Jane Eyre, Animal Farm, and The Color Purple. Loved both the book and the movie version of The Color Purple.

message 5: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine Holloman | 11 comments I have to do better! The only one I have read is The Color Purple.