Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Lorraine's June reads

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Turbo Twenty-Three by Janet Evanovich (A Stephanie Plum Novel)
Stephanie is after a skip and when she pursues a stolen truck, she discovers a frozen dead body. Another light hearted ride, especially with Grandma Mazur hooks up with a biker.

Wench by Dolen Perkins-Valdez
This one was for library book discussion. Lizzie is a slave girl of Drayle and Fran in Tennessee. A good read, glad someone in the group recommended it.

Once in a Great City, A Detroit Story by David Maraniss (nf))
Book covers the city of Detroit from 1962-1964. I remember many of the names in the book, but people in their 70's and 80's would have these memories more than me.
A so-so book.

Saving Alex by Alex Cooper with Joanne Brooks.(nf)
A Mormon Teen admits to her parents that she is gay. Her parents drove her to St. George, Utah, against her will to an unlicensed "residential treatment program" to save Alex. For 8 months she was physically and verbally abused. After several weeks she was allowed to attend high school, where she confides to a fellow student and he contacts a lawyer to help her. They go to court for several months.
A good read, glad I read it.

message 2: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2217 comments An interesting month, Lorraine.

message 3: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 3160 comments Saving Alex sounds interesting. Mormonism fascinates me.

message 4: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (Bonadie) | 6431 comments A varied group of reads this month, Lorraine. Saving Alex sounds especially interesting to me as well.

message 5: by Ann (last edited Jul 01, 2017 05:04PM) (new)

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 10960 comments Lorraine:
Your library group picks interesting books! Nice month for thought provoking reading. I tried to read one of Janet Evanovich's other series books recently and found the female character too silly for my tastes but still enjoy Stephanie Plum. Saving Alex: When I Was Fifteen I Told My Mormon Parents I Was Gay, and That's When My Nightmare Began sounds like an emotional read; I hope to read it and Wench too.

message 6: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 982 comments Good Month