World, Writing, Wealth discussion

All Things Writing & Publishing > How many bad books are needed to 'kill' all indies for a reader?

Comments (showing 1-4 of 4) (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 7993 comments If an average reader reads 12 books per annum (remember this number mentioned somewhere), I guess such average reader's willingness to 'experiment' with lesser known stuff is very limited. And if such reader tries a book and discovers it being riddled with typos, inconsistencies and all, chances are s/he'd be very cautious to touch indie or other not-heavily-vetted stuff next time. I think one bad (in the terms of professional presentation) book does it.
What do you think?

message 2: by Philip (new)

Philip (Phenweb) | 602 comments Largest market of Indies is Kindle or PoD paperback. The average 12 book per year reader is probably not on Kindle so may have limited impact. They'll stick to John Grisham etc. I have many friends who have not read a book in years. TV and movies instead. They may read something on holiday if they are in the mood or doing that type of relaxing holiday. They get the book at the airport from the top 20 bestseller list - no Indies there.

message 3: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 7993 comments Philip wrote: "The average 12 book per year reader is probably not on Kindle so may have limited impact...."

Sounds true. I'd like to believe in limited impact, but then how do we lure out the average reader out of top 20? -:)

message 4: by Philip (new)

Philip (Phenweb) | 602 comments Nik wrote: "Philip wrote: "The average 12 book per year reader is probably not on Kindle so may have limited impact...."

Sounds true. I'd like to believe in limited impact, but then how do we lure out the ave..."

That is the problem. Good product, good stories, marketing - all have tried many better than I. I don't think there is a magic bullet or a best method. Just like music a lot is right place right time - I think maybe 4 years ago self pub had a real chance now (and I'm in that group) its swamped. The technology i.e. KDP changed the market just like MP3 and streaming changed music.