The Humour Club discussion

Writing > Reviews Needed. Like laughing? You might like this...

Comments (showing 1-3 of 3) (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ian (new)

Ian Jarvis | 23 comments Hello there
MX Publishing are releasing my new novel the Music of Sound in September. This is a humorous mystery of 80,000 words and I was wondering if anyone in the group would like an advance copy in exchange for a short review?
After three decades as an operational firefighter, I swapped the hose for a laptop and turned to writing, something I’d been involved in on a part-time basis for several years. I decided to try something different and combine my passions of comedy, the supernatural and a love of Sherlock Holmes. My novel Cat Flap was published by MX last February and is very popular with good reviews. This is the second mystery in the series, with the same characters, but its written as a stand-alone story and there’s no need for the reader to be familiar with Cat Flap.
MX are the world’s largest publisher of Sherlock Holmes. The Music of Sound isn’t a Holmes parody, but anyone familiar with the Conan Doyle stories will spot the updated similarities between the celebrated detective and this private investigator in a modern-day Yorkshire setting. The characters are quirky, like the book titles, and work well in these urban fantasies.
A contemporary Holmes, Bernie Quist is a consultant detective operating from Baker Avenue in the city of York. His eccentric personality and deductive methods resemble the Victorian sleuth and his assistant is named Watson, although this Watson is a black youth from the notorious Grimpen housing estate and he’s definitely no doctor. The mismatched duo take on bizarre cases which invariably lead to the realms of the supernatural, a shadowy world Quist is all too familiar with.
The rear cover reads:
Rex Grant has vanished from a hotel without paying the bill, but the police seem more concerned with the murdered girl in his room. Investigating their friend’s disappearance, Quist and Watson are intrigued by his connection to the superstar singer Ligeia and the lethal mercenary soldiers who act as her management team. Irana Adler heads the squad – a female Colonel who doesn’t take kindly to intrusion – and Quist is amazed to discover that Laurel and Hardy are part of the singer’s entourage, something which is not only surprising, but pretty much impossible. A dark and very peculiar game is afoot, and Ligeia’s musical voice may not be as sweet as it sounds…
If the Music of Sound interests you, I can mail you a PDF copy.
You can find a digital me on my website: www.ianjarviswriter.com.
You can also find me lurking on Facebook, where I write mainly comedy posts, at: https://www.facebook.com/ian.jarvis.165
Thanks for reading (er, this post, not reading in general) take care and all the best
Ian

message 2: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Pants | 12 comments Although I hate reading things off the computer, (bad neck, not to mention weak eyes), your story sounds so intriguing I'll download it and copy it to read. I'm not sure how to proceed from here so I'll try to friend you on FB, then send you a message with my email address. Unless you have a better idea. Oh, by the way, I never leave bad reviews. If I don't like a book, I don't review it at all. However, I will let you know where I think improvements could be made by personal email if there are annoying flaws. Also, I don't grade on grammar and punctuation because the best story tellers tend to be weak in those areas. Look for my friend request please.

message 3: by Ian (new)

Ian Jarvis | 23 comments Thank you for this Sandy. I'll check out FB