What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Disappearance
This topic is about The Disappearance
SOLVED: Non-Fiction > SOLVED. 90s or 2000s memoir (maybe translated from French?) by mother whose two daughters were hit by a car. [s]

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel | 828 comments I read this in the late 90s or early 2000s and it seemed recent at the time. It was a memoir by a woman whose two young daughters were hit by a car and killed while crossing the road.

It was a sort of literary grief memoir about the daughters' early childhood and then the accident and the aftermath, how the family coped etc. I remember that the author was married and that she and her husband stayed together, but she said it was common for parents to separate after the death of a child.

I read it in English but have a feeling it may have been translated from French, not 100% sure though.

Definitely not Joan Didion, I know she has written a few memoirs about death/grief but this was not one of hers.

message 2: by Kris (last edited Jun 29, 2017 07:42AM) (new)

Kris | 13590 comments Mod
"Death : life's great teacher" (2001) by Leslye Nelson Feil?

Description from www.worldcat.cat -- "Explores her family's experience of having two daughters killed and one seriously injured in a car accident. Discusses the grief of her family members and explains that their faith as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is what helped them find peace in their loss because they believe in Jesus Christ and that families can be together eternally. Mentions lessons like "life is too short to be unkind" that family members learned from this experience."

message 3: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel | 828 comments Thanks Kris, but it's not the one I'm looking for. There was no religion involved, and definitely only two daughters.

message 4: by Ayshe (new)

message 5: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel | 828 comments This looks possible Ayshe, although I don't remember it being in letter format - but I'll see if I can find out more. Thanks for your help.

message 6: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel | 828 comments Ok I've had a look at the Amazon preview and I'm pretty sure this is it! Thank you!