Goodreads Ireland discussion

Interview with the Vampire (The Vampire Chronicles, #1)
This topic is about Interview with the Vampire
July 2017: Interview with a Vamp > Jul: Interview with a Vampire

Comments (showing 1-50 of 52) (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Emma Flanagan (Emma89) This is the discussion thread for our July group read Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice

Paul One of the series I have loved.
Not my favourite in the series, i much prefer the narration of Lestat and Marius in the later books to that of the interviewer and Louis in this .

Kara | 106 comments I agree with Paul.

I read "interview with a vampire" back when I was freshman in high school I think. I'm happy this novel has won. can't wait to read read it again.

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan Johnson | 4593 comments I thought you'd be turning cartwheels, Paul. The category was the first book so that's why it's this one.

Paul Trying to decide on doing a full reread. I've decided to start the newest in the series , Prince Lestat and the Realms of Atlantis.

Paul Susan I think its a great choice. I really enjoyed this book ( several times in fact :-)). I did prefer some of the later books , but this is the book that sets the ball rolling and definitely the place to start .

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan Johnson | 4593 comments I am so shocked that you think it's a great choice. Well, you could just blow me over with a feather. :)

Paul Gothic horror bordering on fantasy definitely fits my wheel house ;-)

message 9: by Colleen (new) - added it

Colleen | 1167 comments I need to reread this again .I read it a long time and really liked it .I have since watched the movie several times so I don't remember if I liked Louis in the book as much as I loved him in the book . Brad Pitt made a very nice vampire :)

message 10: by Susan (new)

Susan Johnson | 4593 comments Brad Pitt makes a very nice anything.

message 11: by Emma (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emma Flanagan (Emma89) You've never typed truer words Susan. :-D

message 12: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul Louis comes across reasonably well in the book I remember , a bit less so in the followup.
Claudia is possibly the most interesting of the characters in the book , the whole trapped as a child vampire concept is intriguing. A graphic novel focused on her during the course of this book was released about 3 or so years back.

message 13: by Colleen (new) - added it

Colleen | 1167 comments Yes Susan he does.:)
Claudia was a favorite of mine too Paul .I always felt sorry for her being trapped in a little girl's body but her brain aged if I remember correctly.

message 14: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul It did. Its a theme in a few of the books, how child vampires cope, the other one being Amdeo / Armand from this book as well. Never understood why a grown up Antonio Banderes was cast .

message 15: by Colleen (new) - added it

Colleen | 1167 comments That right I forgot he was suppose to be a child . Really need to start this series over I think .I forget which book I stopped at ... I know I read a few of her Mayfair witch novel and I know they crossed over each other at some point .

message 16: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul Yeah the Mayfair books and these crossed over in Blackwood Farm and a few other books. Actually my lesst favourite aspect of the series. I enjoyed Taltos but the rest of the Mayfair stuff lacked the depth of history and myth built up in the Vampire stuff.

Maria Chnoic (MariaHillDublin) | 601 comments Paul wrote: "Yeah the Mayfair books and these crossed over in Blackwood Farm and a few other books. Actually my lesst favourite aspect of the series. I enjoyed Taltos but the rest of the Mayfair stuff lacked th..."

I would actually rate the first Mayfair witches book as the best Anne Rice, with the Vampire Lestat as the second best. Interview with a vampire probably third.

I liked the Watchers?Talamasca in the Witches books. The legend of the taltos was great in the first book but becomes weaker as you continue on.

I dropped out the vampire books at about Merrick - I was getting seriously bored of them by then. So never really read the crossovers.

message 18: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul I wasnt a fan of Merrick either but Blood and Gold which comes s bit after is one of my favourites.

Maria Chnoic (MariaHillDublin) | 601 comments So maybe I should pick it up then.

message 20: by Cphe (new)

Cphe | 0 comments Read it from the local library (as well as a few others) years and years ago.

I've read too many vampire novels over the course of my reading life.......

message 21: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul I've read a number of Vampire books as well, I even contemplated doing my Anthropology thesis on the subject but went for male violence instead.
I do think Anne Rice stands out from the general crwod in that a lot of the recent stuff has aimed to imitate her setting up of a vampire subculture .
Maria, Blood and Gold details Marius' history in detail, if you find the historical books in the series work for you its definitely none to try.

message 22: by Cphe (new)

Cphe | 0 comments Years ago I was recommended Necroscope as the ultimate in vampire books.

Still haven't got around to reading it though.......but I will.

message 23: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul I havent read it but I've had a few friends highly recommend it as well.
For me its got to be the Historian and Dracula as the two best .

message 24: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul Also Terry Pratchetts Carpe Jugulum is a fun take on it all

message 25: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul I'm about a third of the way into the newest book in the series and there is a lot of interesting looks back to Interview with the Vampire . May watch the film again as well just out of curiosity. I know I slag some of the casting but its still a good film

message 26: by Emma (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emma Flanagan (Emma89) In 1994 that casting made sense though we'd question it now.

message 27: by Emma (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emma Flanagan (Emma89) I'm about half way through. It's enjoyable and I can see why it's considered an important book within the canon of vampire literature. Is it a great book...probably not.

Maria Chnoic (MariaHillDublin) | 601 comments I remember the casting being an issue in 1994. Anne Rice was particularly peed off about Tom Cruise's casting for Lestat. Though, seemingly she was much happier once she saw the film.

Kirsten Dunst was great as Claudia - "I want some more" :)

message 29: by Emma (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emma Flanagan (Emma89) Of the potential options available in 94 who would you have cast?

message 30: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul 1994 casting a 30 + year old Spaniard as a 13 year old Russiolddidnt make sense either.

message 31: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul I do think Brad Pitt worked as Louis. Christian Slater works as well. Never fully sold on Tom Cruise but not sure who else to pick. Almost anyone else for Armand to be honest.

Bookworm with Kids . | 470 comments Mod
I am sorry that I haven't been on for a while but I am away on holiday in a bad WiFi area. I thought that I had read this book but I realised that it was the second one I had read. I am about halfway through the book and I like Louis in this book. I do feel sorry for Claudia, being stuck in a child's body forever. It would be very frustrating for anyone! I think Lestat is coming off badly in this book. He is definitely more sympathetically treated in book 2. Definitely think another look at the movie is warranted, Paul!

Maria Chnoic (MariaHillDublin) | 601 comments I should look at the Movie and give a fresh perspective on it 23 years later! Though I just looked at the old movie advert on YouTube and thought - Yep that was a great movie.

I am waiting to see can I get up to my parent's attic before I read this. Don't want to buy it again when there is a copy I already own somewhere.

message 34: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul Bookworm with Kids wrote: "I am sorry that I haven't been on for a while but I am away on holiday in a bad WiFi area. I thought that I had read this book but I realised that it was the second one I had read. I am about halfw..."
Its very interesting contrasting the characters in the first two books, Louis and Lestat have a very different feel due to the switch in narrator and the dirst book gets partially retold by Lestat from his standpoint. Its an interesting quirk to the two books.

message 35: by Emma (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emma Flanagan (Emma89) I finished this last night. Look forward to discussing it with everyone. It's an interesting book from a literary perspective. It seems to mark the transition from the old gothic vampire to the modern vampire. On a spectrum that runs from Dracula to Twilight, I'd class the vampires as similar to those in Buffy. They have all the traditional touchstones but with hints of humanity which we associate with modern vampires.

message 36: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul Its definitely the modern take on a vampire, souless monsters of myth and earlier works now have personalities , relationships and ethical codes.

message 37: by Brian (new)

Brian O'Sullivan | 278 comments Interesting take - sounds more like fantasy than horror.

message 38: by Emma (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emma Flanagan (Emma89) Indeed the vampire has gone from being a monster to the misunderstood outsider usually with a tortured soul.

message 39: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul Brian , as the series progresses I would definitely argue it is more fantasy than horror , its all an alternate society based on a magic system and its history and mythology .
Oddly the latest book veers off into scifi

message 40: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul Emma, its definitely a concept thats become more common sins Rice wrote this in the 70s.
Vampires have become the goth nerds of the monster world

message 41: by Kara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kara | 106 comments I finally was able to start this again. I loved it the first time I read it. I'm happy to refresh my memory of the story though ❤

message 42: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather (Hiisdaarkmaaterials) | 429 comments Mod
Finally got my hands on a copy, look forward to discussing it.

message 43: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul Enjoy. :-)

Stormie ~ Book Dragon ~ (StormieBookDragon) | 3 comments I have a copy of this book and haven't read it since I first purchased it. I guess it is time for a re-read! :)

message 45: by Colleen (new) - added it

Colleen | 1167 comments I haven't read this in years but I'll reread it as soon as Kara finishes it :)

message 46: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul Hurry up Cara ;-) I may watch the film in the coming days . Think I might also buy a copy of the graphic novel about Claudia.

message 47: by Kara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kara | 106 comments Paul wrote: "Hurry up Cara ;-) I may watch the film in the coming days . Think I might also buy a copy of the graphic novel about Claudia."

I'm trying! I read it once when I was fourteen or Fifteen ahah. Yesterday I got my wisdom teeth taken out, so i'm trying to get back into reading today.

Wait! There is a graphic novel about Claudia! She was one of my favorites :D

message 48: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul There us a graphic novel, it came put about two years ago

message 49: by Kara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kara | 106 comments okay I'll be putting that on TBR list now! Thanks Paul!

message 50: by Kara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kara | 106 comments Finished interview with a vampire last night. Loved it like the first time I read it.

I loved Claudia and Louis so much.

hope everyone is enjoying it. can't wait to discuss more about it

« previous 1