COOKIES! discussion

Recipes > Cakes

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim, Cookie Master (new)

Kim (MrsNesbitt) | 530 comments Mod
You guessed it. This is for cakes, decorated, layer or simple. It's all good!

message 2: by Kim, Cookie Master (last edited Oct 05, 2009 07:53AM) (new)

I was going through my recipe box looking for a pie recipe (posted in the pie folder) and came across 2 cheese-cake recipes from my late uncle Hugh. He was an amateur gourmet chef and he used to make these cheese-cakes every Christmas for the family get-together. I have never made them (mostly because they serve 10-12 people and certain members of my family refuse to eat cheese-cake) but I guess I was always afraid that they wouldn't taste the same.

I will be posting them soon, and I hope to make them myself some day soon as a tribute to my uncle.

message 3: by Kim, Cookie Master (last edited Oct 30, 2009 07:59AM) (new)

Here as promised are the cheesecake recipies I mentioned. I am printing them exactly as my uncle Hugh gave them to me. Remember these were served for large family gatherings, and a sliver was all you needed.

CHOCOLATE CHIP MOCHA

CRUST:

1 1/2 c. chocolate wafer crumbs (about 24 wafers)

6 TBLSP butter, room temp.

1/3 c sugar

FILLING:

1 1/2 lbs. (20 oz) or cream cheese, room temp.

1 c. sugar

4 eggs, room temp.

1/3 c. whipping cream (also called heavy cream)

1 tsp. vanilla

1 TBLSP instant coffee powder

1 c. mini chocolate chips

Put rack in center of oven. Pre-heat to 200 degerees.

Butter bottom and sides of 9 1/2 " springform pan

In medium bowl, combine crust ingredients. Mix well. Pat evenly onto bottom and sides of pan.

In large bowl, beat cream cheese, until fluffy. Blend in sugar, then eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add cream, coffee powder, and vanilla. Beat 2 min.

Turn mixture into prepared crust. Top with chocolate chips, and swirl with a spatula.

Set pan on baking sheet

Bake until a cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Which will be about 2 hours. Cake will appear soft.

Cool completely on rack.

Chill thoroughly before serving.

Serves 10 -12

My uncles note: Be sure not to spill the sheet when removing from oven as a lot of butter seems to leak out during baking.

message 4: by Kim, Cookie Master (last edited Nov 22, 2010 07:58AM) (new)

CREME DE MENTHE CHEESECAKE

CRUST:

2 c finely crushed chocolate wafers (about 38 wafers)

1/2 c butter melted

FILLING:

2 8 oz. pkgs. cream cheese, softened

1 c. sugar

1/3 c. green creme de menthe syrup (normally found in the baking isle or with the ice cream toppings. It is non-alcoholic)

3 eggs

3 8 oz containers of sour cream

TOPPING:

4 squares of semisweet chocolate

1/2 c sour cream

Mix crust ingredients in medium bowl, then press onto the bottom and sides of a 9" spring form pan.

In large bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, and creme de menthe until smooth. Add eggs, beating on low speed until combined. DO NOT OVER BEAT! Stir in all 3 containers of sour cream.

Turn into the crust.

Place pan on baking sheet.

Bake 375 for 55-60 min., or until center is set.

Cool on wire rack.

While cake cools, melt chocolate, then stir in the 1/2 c sour cream. Spread over the warm cake.

Chill for 4-5 hours.

Before serving, use a knife to gently loosen the cake sides, before removing the sides of pan.

message 5: by Claere (new)

Claere (Omenonwings) | 59 comments QUICK CHOCOLATE EGGLESS CAKE

1-1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup cold water
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tsp. vinegar

Preheat oven to 375°F.
Spray a small baking pan (8x12) with vegetable spray or Baker's Joy.

Combine dry ingredients directly in the pan. Mix all the wet ingredients

In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients leaving out the vinegar until the final step.

Combine wet and dry ingredients, stirring together in pan until well combined. Stir in the vinegar rapidly and immediately place pan into preheated oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.

Optional: You can stir in 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips just before baking to make a richer cake with melted chocolate bits or swirls.

Submitted by: CM

message 6: by Kim, Cookie Master (new)

I am going to make this soon.

P.S. you don't have to put the submitted by unless you really want to.

message 7: by Claere (new)

Claere (Omenonwings) | 59 comments i know. i just thought i should give a little credit.

message 8: by Kim, Cookie Master (new)

Like I said, if you want to, go right ahead. All of my recipes, unless mentioned are my own. Give your self what ever credit you would like. I am not mad,not will I get mad. I just didn't want you to feel like you had to.

message 9: by Claere (new)

Claere (Omenonwings) | 59 comments that's very thoughtful of you *smiles*

message 10: by Kim, Cookie Master (last edited Jun 23, 2010 07:28AM) (new)

This recipe comes from "The Cup Cake Doctor". It uses a boxed cake mix and premade cookie dough. I have provided a list of what I think would make good combinations. Her original recipe calls for a yellow mix and vanilla pudding.

COOKIE DOUGH CUP CAKES

Pre-heat 350

22-24 paper liners and standard size muffin tins

1 box cake mix, size that makes a 2 layer cake

1 3.4 oz (4 serving size) instant pudding mix

1 c. milk

1. c. oil

4 eggs

1 tsp. vanilla

1 1 lb. pkg. of frozen cookie dough,cut into 24 pieces* (You can use "break and bake" or the logs)*

Line muffin tins with liners. Mix cake mix, pudding, milk, oil, eggs, and extract on low 30 seconds. Scrape down bowl. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Use a 1/4 cup measure or scoop to get batter into liner cups. You will get 22-24, if you run short, take out the empty liners. DO NOT OVER FILL!

Place cookie dough piece into center of each cup. Bake 23-27 minutes. Cool on rack for 5 minutes before removing. Cool 15 minutes before frosting to keep centers gooey. They are just as good cooled.

* I find that if you cut them into pieces before freezing, it goes better. Make sure to keep dough frozen up unitl you place it into the cupcakes.

I made a cherry chip cake, with french vanilla pudding,and ultimate chocolate chip dough. I added 1/2 tsp. cherry extract to the batter, and since I used canned frosting, I added 3/4 tsp. vanilla and 1/2 tsp cherry before stiring. I also cut marichino cherries in half, drained well, and topped the cupcakes as a decoration.

Suggested combinations:

Spice cake, butterscotch pudding, oatmeal raisin dough, cream cheese frosting.

Lemon cake, lemon pudding, sugar cookie dough, lemon or vanilla frosting.

White cake, coconut pudding, 1/2 tsp. coconut extract, sugar cookie dough, vanilla frosting with 1/2 tsp. coconut extract and topped with flaked or toasted coconut.

Chocolate Cake, chocolate pudding, chocolate chip dough, chocolate frosting.

Chocolate cake, vanilla pudding, peanutbutter cooke dough, vanilla frosting.

White cake, pistachio pudding, sugar cookie dough, vanilla frosting.

The list goes on.

message 11: by Claere (new)

Claere (Omenonwings) | 59 comments my mum is forcing me to bake cookies for an organization i don't even like :(

message 12: by Kim, Cookie Master (new)

Just enjoy the baking and forget about the why. I have found that for me, baking is therapy.

message 13: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 19 comments Kim wrote: "This recipe comes from "The Cup Cake Doctor". It uses a boxed cake mix and premade cookie dough. I have provided a list of what I think would make good combinations. Her original recipe calls fo..."

That sounds awesome, thanks for sharing!

message 14: by Kim, Cookie Master (new)

I have gotten a lot of rave reviews on that one.

message 15: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 19 comments I just put this in the oven. My grandmother use to make it. This is best the day it is baked because the top is crispy.

Chunky Apple Cake
1 cup mazola oil or shortening
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 cups flour
1 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 t cinnamon
3 cups sliced raw apples
extras:
up to 1 cup of raisins, dates or chopped nuts

Cream the oil/shortening, sugar and eggs. Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon and mix well. Add the apples and any extras and mix.

Put in a 9x13 pan (lightly greased) and bake at 325 or 1 hour or more. Cool completely.

My favorite is to add raisins and coconut.

message 16: by Kim, Cookie Master (new)

I can't wait for apples to be in season and make this!

message 17: by Kim, Cookie Master (last edited Nov 22, 2010 08:08AM) (new)

OVEN ICED OATMEAL CAKE

This is courtesy of my best friend Karen. It is a family recipe that one of her grandmothers developed. I added the vanilla, but the rest is un-tweaked. The recipe calls for a 13/9 pan,and I found that a disposable pan made it thin. You may wish to use a slightly smaller pan for thicker cake. This is very rich, so for me, the thinner cake worked.

Pre-heat 350

CAKE:

1. c oatmeal

1 1/4 c. BOILING WATER

1 c. sugar

1 c. light brown sugar

1/2 c. oil

1 tsp. vanilla

2 eggs

1/3 c. flour

1/4 tsp. salt

1 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. cinnamon

TOPPING:

6 TBLSP. butter, softened

1 c. light brown sugar

2 TBLSP. milk

1/2 c. coconut or nuts (chopped)

Combine oatmeal and water and let sit 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, add the rest of the cake ingredients and mix well.

Pour into a greased 13x9 pan (bottom only) and bake 35 minutes.

While cake is baking, make topping.

When 35 minutes is up, take cake out and spread on topping.*

Bake 10 minutes more. Cool on rack before serving

*I dotted the topping on and waited a few seconds for the heat of the cake to make the topping more spreadable.

You many find chewy bits in the cake. Do not be alarmed. That is just oatmeal.

message 18: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 19 comments Sounds interesting, I'll have to give it a try sometime. Thanks!

message 19: by Carol (new)

message 20: by Kim, Cookie Master (new)

An interesting version of a mug cake.

message 21: by Kim, Cookie Master (last edited Feb 25, 2014 06:44AM) (new)

My best friend Kelley made this and the one that follows. They are quite good and very moist.

Butterfinger Cake

1 box German chocolate cake mix (or your favorite chocolate cake mix, but not one with the pudding in the mix)

1 can sweetened condensed milk

1 bag (11.5 oz.)snack sized Butterfinger candy bars (crushed)

1 tub whipped toping

1 jar caramel sauce, like Smuckers ice cream topping.

Make and bake cake according to package direction in a 13x9 pan.

Immediately, poke holes all over the cake with the handle of a wooden spoon as soon as it comes out of the oven.

Pour the entire can of the condensed milk over the cake, making sure to get it into the holes you just made.

Pour 1/2 to 2/3 of Carmel onto the cake, again getting it in the holes.

Sprinkle candy on top (don't use it all)

Now let cool completely.

Once cooled, spread the whipped topping on, drizzle the rest of the caramel sauce on top, and then sprinkle the remaining candy on top.

Store in fridge.

message 22: by Kim, Cookie Master (last edited Feb 25, 2014 06:44AM) (new)

Pineapple Angel Cake

Cake:

1 box Angel Food cake mix
1- 20 oz. can crushed pineapple with juice.

Topping:
1-small can crushed pineapple, drained
One large tub whipped topping, such as Cool Whip

Place mix into bowl. Pour in can of pineapple with the juice. Mix well. Will be frothy. Pour into a 13x 9 pan, and place pan on baking sheet as it may run over. Bake for 1 hour at 350.

Let cool completely

Mix the topping with the drained pineapple and spread on cooled cake.

Keep in fridge

message 23: by Kim, Cookie Master (new)

This one comes from a Jo Fluke mystery. I made it for Narzain's birthday last week. I have posted this as it appeared with my notes to follow at the end. My mom has a similar recipe where you make the dough and top it with the dough before baking.

FRUIT FILLED COFFEE CAKE

P. 350

CAKE:

1 bx. (2 layer) white cake mix

3 eggs

1/4c. water

1c. Sour Cream

1 tsp. cinnamon

1-21oz. can pie filling

1/2c sliced almonds, toasted

TOPPING:

1 ½ TBSP. milk

1 c. powdered sugar

Beat the mix, eggs, water, sour cream, and cinnamon. Pour into a greased and floured 13x9 pan.

Bake 35 minutes or until a clean toothpick test.

Sprinkle on nuts and then drizzle on icing.

Cool before serving.

MY NOTES:

I added 1 tsp. vanilla to this, and removed one tsp. of water when I did. I do not see where the nuts add much, so leave them out if you wish, or use chopped nuts instead. I would put the icing on first and then the nuts if using. I made this with pineapple and I would have taken out the cinnamon, added ½ tsp coconut extract and used toasted coconut on top. I would also make one and a half recipes of topping as I like more icing. If all you can find are 12 oz. cans of pastry filling, you will need 2 and will have leftover. (It’s good on ice cream.)

message 24: by Paul, Ace cake baker (new)

Paul (merman1967) | 52 comments Mod
Kim wrote: "This one comes from a Jo Fluke mystery. I made it for Narzain's birthday last week. I have posted this as it appeared with my notes to follow at the end. My mom has a similar recipe where you ma..."

Missing step: Top batter with with spoonfuls of pie filling.