Japanese Novel and Light Novel Book Club discussion

Kieli, Volume 1: The Dead Sleep in the Wilderness
This topic is about Kieli, Volume 1
Light Novels > Kieli Volume 1 Group Read

Comments (showing 1-16 of 16) (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nek0 Neha (last edited Jul 02, 2017 02:44PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nek0 Neha (BiblioNyan) (biblionyan) Kieli, Volume 1: The Dead Sleep in the Wilderness tells the story of a reclusive girl isolated by her ability to see ghosts. Her only friend is her "roommate," Becca, the precocious spirit of a former student still residing in Kieli's dorm. Everything in Kieli's life changes suddenly when the girls meet the handsome but distant Harvey who, like Kieli, can see ghosts. He also turns out to be one of the legendary Undying, an immortal soldier bred for war now being hunted by the Church. When Kieli joins Harvey on a pilgrimage to lay to rest the spirit of a corporal possessing an old radio, as unlikely as it seems, she feels she may have finally found a place where she belongs in the world. And in Kieli, Harvey may have found a reason to live again.

Let's read & discuss Kieli, Volume 1: The Dead Sleep in the Wilderness here!

Reading Schedule:
07/02-07/09 - Prologue & Chapter 1 (pgs. 1-54)
07/10-07/16 - Chapter 2 (pgs. 55-79)
07/17-07/23 - Chapter 3 (pgs. 80-102)
07/24-07/30 - Chapter 4 (pgs. 103-137)
07/31-08/06 - Chapter 5 (pgs. 138-172)
08/07-08/13 - Chapter 6 & Epilogue (pgs. 173-224)

If we need to adjust the schedule at all, please just let me know and we can slow down/speed up as needed! Happy reading, everyone! :)

Nek0 Neha (BiblioNyan) (biblionyan) Hey all! I'm planning on starting the book either today or tomorrow. Is anyone planning on reading the manga for the series as well?

message 3: by Cindy III (new)

Cindy III (Polywag) | 7 comments My library doesn't have this one. It only has the second book.

Jennifer (Jennmonk) Prologue and first chapter sets up the world and main characters nicely. Hard to get a feel for Kieli, but Harvey and the Corporal are pretty distinct characters.

The Church is intriguing. The idea of people continuing to worship something without remembering what it even is rings true of my personal experience. The anti-war message is pretty strong too. Should be interesting after this.

Selena (sailorstar165) | 1253 comments Mod
I read this one a while ago and absolutely loved it. I loved the world that's built in this series, and I love all the people/ghosts that Kieli meets.

Let me know when you guys reach the ghost clown. That's probably still my favorite chapter.

Nek0 Neha (BiblioNyan) (biblionyan) @ Jennifer: (Sorry on my phone, I can't quote you) I also find the Church to be very interesting, and the premise that they're essentially worshipping in an "empty space." I wonder if Kieli is completely alone in her opinions about the Church, and if her unique ability gives her some intuitive insight that she may not realise she has, if that makes any sense.

Nek0 Neha (BiblioNyan) (biblionyan) I finished the second chapter earlier this morning. There's quite a few things that I'm enjoying aside from the writing. I like our main character, Kieli, especially her interactions with Harvey and the radio. They have great chemistry in their interactions, where nothing feels forced. It's actually very charming to me.

The premise is absolutely intriguing to me as well. One of the parts I find most interesting is that if Kieli doesn't believe God is present on the current planet, then why does she pray and to whom is she even praying to? She seems frustrated that people won't acknowledge the lacking existence of God, but doesn't realise she's very similar to the rest of the people in that particular regard?

I also like that each chapter sort of feels like a separate smaller arc within the novel (so far). They have their overall journey, but along the way they encounter certain scenarios that pop up and get resolved all in one neat chapter.

Sorry this got a bit long. Wanted to share my thoughts before I forgot them. :) How's everyone else fairing so far?

Nek0 Neha (BiblioNyan) (biblionyan) Hey all. I just wanted to see what you guys thought of the book so far.

Nek0 Neha wrote: "Hey all. I just wanted to see what you guys thought of the book so far."

I'm curious to know what you guys think as well. :)

message 10: by Rose (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rose (raddevlin) | 232 comments Mod
I've yet to start re-reading but I plan to do it soon. :) I finished the series half a year back so it will be interesting to see the beginning again!

message 11: by Nek0 Neha (last edited Jul 23, 2017 05:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nek0 Neha (BiblioNyan) (biblionyan) Selena wrote: "Let me know when you guys reach the ghost clown. That's probably still my favorite chapter.

I felt that this chapter was going to be really scary (I'm terrified of clowns), but it ended up being so sad. Didn't see it coming and it hit me in the feels. It was bittersweet to an extent as well.

I think my favourite chapter, or at least my favourite part of a chapter, was the one with the kitty. It was a really small section, but oh it was sweet and emotional. Anything with cats gets me, LOL.

Kieli is very good at the feels. :3 Good feels and sad feels, too.

message 13: by Terrence (new) - added it

Terrence (GRNKRBY) | 283 comments I wish I could read this right now, but I got a lot on my plate. Hoping I can read it maybe early next year (committed to a few other books, plus the J-Novel stuff).

Jennifer (Jennmonk) Whoa! Chapter 4 really ups the stakes. We find out some of Harvey's backstory, the Corporal's story is winding to an end, and a priest/hunter has emerged. What exactly is he, though? Maybe we'll find out soon.

Nek0 Neha (BiblioNyan) (biblionyan) Jennifer wrote: "Whoa! Chapter 4 really ups the stakes. We find out some of Harvey's backstory, the Corporal's story is winding to an end, and a priest/hunter has emerged. What exactly is he, though? Maybe we'll find out soon. "

That was a super intense chapter! I really like the Corporal as a characters so far, I think he's my favourite. :)

message 16: by Rose (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rose (raddevlin) | 232 comments Mod
I'm so behind, haha. I started my re-read a little while ago now but I've had a bit of a rough month so I've barely read anything. :(

One thing that stood out from re-reading the prologue is just how well it sets up the rest of the book. It introduces us to Kieli's difficulties with faith, the scaremongering about the Undying, and the actual treatment of the Undying by the Church. It even includes the fact that yes, this setting has elements of sci-fi to it. Spoiler comments that relate to this whole book: (view spoiler)